[Poll] Out of pure curiosity - Did you attend Georgia Tech?

Did you attend Georgia Tech

• Total voters

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Beam deflection, shaft torsion, stress/strain diagrams, and Mohr’s Circle of Stress are about all I remember.

I had Dr. Wempner for Def Bods. The quarter I took his class, it was a very desirable time slot. I remember his being pissed off the first day of class because it was full of overloads and was standing room only. Everyone failed his first quiz. After drop day, there were only 13 of us left from a class of 30+. He looked at us remaining 13, smiled, and said, “Pull out your syllabus, I’m making a change. Your lowest quiz grade will be dropped from your average.”

Dr. Wempner got the small class he wanted.
I dropped Wempner for Def Bods (probably a different quarter, though - maybe some time in 1989 or 1990). I should have dropped Ung. Ended up passing someone I can't even remember.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Beam deflection, shaft torsion, stress/strain diagrams, and Mohr’s Circle of Stress are about all I remember.

I had Dr. Wempner for Def Bods. The quarter I took his class, it was a very desirable time slot. I remember his being pissed off the first day of class because it was full of overloads and was standing room only. Everyone failed his first quiz. After drop day, there were only 13 of us left from a class of 30+. He looked at us remaining 13, smiled, and said, “Pull out your syllabus, I’m making a change. Your lowest quiz grade will be dropped from your average.”

Dr. Wempner got the small class he wanted.

LOL! I had a similar situation. I transferred into Tech and my first semester was during the short summer semester. The professor gave the first exam after the last day to withdraw...I made a 33. I called him to express that I thought it was unfair that he gave our first of only two exams after drop day. He said, “If you would bother to read your syllabus, you would know that if the grade on your final exam is higher than your course average then your final exam grade will be your final grade. YOU NEED TO STUDY MORE.” Then he hung up on me. LOL. He did me a favor, I guess. I got an A on the final and an A in the class.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GTJeff1975

Jolly Good Fellow
I dropped Wempner for Def Bods (probably a different quarter, though - maybe some time in 1989 or 1990). I should have dropped Ung. Ended up passing someone I can't even remember.

I can't remember who I had for Def Bods but I remember the class very well (winter quarter 98 got a C in it). Dynamics was my nightmare. Failed it summer quarter 98 under Lee . Dropped it Fall quarter 1998 then finally got a B in it winter quarter 99 from Papastavridis.

91Wreck

Jolly Good Fellow
I took Wempner in the fall of 88 for Def Bods Squeaked by with a C.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
That's another point I never really got about Tech. In Def Bods, just like in Physics (and a lot of other classes), the quizzes and examinations were multiple choice, all or nothing. The only way to do well in the class was if you had total mastery of the information. If you understood 80% of the material, you'd fail. If you understood 90% of the material you could very easily fail because you'd not get the right answer. There was no partial credit. There was no way to assess whether the concepts were understood. You either had total mastery of the information or you'd struggle to survive. By the time I got into my upper level classes, partial credit was my best friend.

Animal02

Banned
That's another point I never really got about Tech. In Def Bods, just like in Physics (and a lot of other classes), the quizzes and examinations were multiple choice, all or nothing. The only way to do well in the class was if you had total mastery of the information. If you understood 80% of the material, you'd fail. If you understood 90% of the material you could very easily fail because you'd not get the right answer. There was no partial credit. There was no way to assess whether the concepts were understood. You either had total mastery of the information or you'd struggle to survive. By the time I got into my upper level classes, partial credit was my best friend.
The structures classes I took were mostly like that. Taught by AE profs, it was all about calculations. The final was 4 problems that was a maze of loads etc. Failed big time. Took it again out of sequence, this time happened to be an Arch prof. It was mostly theory...why would pick this beam section over another, very little math work.....learned nothing new and got a B.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer

I don’t really remember taking any multiple choice exams in my engineering classes. I remember the exams being heavy calculations, especially in the geotechnical, fluid dynamics, and structures classes. Some of these profs would give you a formula sheet and some expected you to learn them. Test days were hellish. I became convinced that stress could make your hair fall out as I remember hair falling on my exams as I was taking them. By the way, many years later I still have a full head of hair.

GTJeff1975

Jolly Good Fellow
I don’t really remember taking any multiple choice exams in my engineering classes. I remember the exams being heavy calculations, especially in the geotechnical, fluid dynamics, and structures classes. Some of these profs would give you a formula sheet and some expected you to learn them. Test days were hellish. I became convinced that stress could make your hair fall out as I remember hair falling on my exams as I was taking them. By the way, many years later I still have a full head of hair.

Hellish indeed. Especially finals. I believe I dropped a letter grade after the final on a large percentage of my classes despite studying like a maniac.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Hellish indeed. Especially finals. I believe I dropped a letter grade after the final on a large percentage of my classes despite studying like a maniac.

Happened to my son just this week on a Math 1553 final. He knew the material (I know he put a lot of time in the course and went to every tutoring session he could sign up for) but he made an arithmetic error on an early problem so the answer wasn't working out. By the time he got it sorted out he was flustered and had to hurry through the rest of the questions. That just doesn't happen to you in real life, so what's the point? You aren't necessarily rewarded for hard work or even what you've learned. But that's Ma Tech for you.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
I really don't understand the point of this thread. Why try to differenntiate between types of fans?
And I surely don't think it does us any good to discuss how tough Tech was or is. Our position should be that any reasonably intelligent student athlete can leave Tech with a degree as long as he selects a major suited to his aptitude, takes advantage of all the scholastic help open to them, and apply themselves to their studies as well their sport. I am sure that is the music that CGC will be singing and we all should be singing the same tune.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
I really don't understand the point of this thread. Why try to differenntiate between types of fans?
And I surely don't think it does us any good to discuss how tough Tech was or is. Our position should be that any reasonably intelligent student athlete can leave Tech with a degree as long as he selects a major suited to his aptitude, takes advantage of all the scholastic help open to them, and apply themselves to their studies as well their sport. I am sure that is the music that CGC will be singing and we all should be singing the same tune.

Because there is a common bond between all of us who suffered through Tech and we like to share it. It brings us together. It's like guys who graduate from The Citadel have that bond from the military stuff and we have ours from the academic stuff. People like to commiserate and share the past pain.

On the other hand, you don't have to put up with the demands of a STEM degree from Tech. I'm not putting down folks who get a degree in Liberal Arts or Business from Tech. They are quality degrees. We can certainly find 20 high quality football players each year who want what Tech and Atlanta have to offer (why does anyone want to be stuck in Clemson or Auburn for 4 years??) and who can handle the academics. Collins can find them and he will sell it. I am excited to see what he can do.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
I know what you are saying but to me it just seems out of place to do it on a football thread.