[Poll] Out of pure curiosity - Did you attend Georgia Tech?

Did you attend Georgia Tech

• Total voters

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
And I know some on here talk about there only being a few women at Georgia Tech but at Southern Tech in the Civil department we only had 1 .
My favorite classroom memory at Tech. I am in a 3000 level CS class, and on the first day of class the professor looks up and says, "Wow there are a lot more girls than usual this semester." The entire class turns to look. There is one girl sitting in the middle near the back.

She did not return to any more of the classes.

Edit: It may have been 2000 level because it was still in a 200 person lecture hall.

spdrama

Jolly Good Fellow
Fan from NY and not an alum. Son graduated IE with Matt Harpring. Daughter in law (from Albany Ga) graduated EE with Matt Kuchar. Big fan since son’s early admission acceptance in 9/93. See every BB game in NYC. Celebrated pre season-NIT championship over CT at MSG with Ish’s dad in stands. Me, just Rider & NYLS grad, retired civil trial attorney. Follow GT Football, Men’s and women’s basketball, baseball, golf and some tennis.

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
I'm an hour South of you. I do like the Sheboygan area though. Have you played Whistling Straits and Blackwolf Run?

Kohler Company is a client of mine so I'm in Sheboygan once a week.
Those courses are a bit out of my league, but I play a couple of others when I can. My wife and all 3 of my children were Kohler employees, but not now. We like it here. We are south of Plymouth off Hwy 57.

Milwaukee

Banned
Those courses are a bit out of my league, but I play a couple of others when I can. My wife and all 3 of my children were Kohler employees, but not now. We like it here. We are south of Plymouth off Hwy 57.

Try The Bog and The Bull, both are within a half hour of Whistling Straits and they're solid courses. Btw Whistling Straights from the tips is out of my league as well but I like to go with clients and make it seem like I'm letting them win, when in reality I'm not.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Try The Bog and The Bull, both are within a half hour of Whistling Straits and they're solid courses. Btw Whistling Straights from the tips is out of my league as well but I like to go with clients and make it seem like I'm letting them win, when in reality I'm not.

LOL!!! Whistling Straits from the tips is akin to PGA West from the tips! Pete Dye HATES golfers :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Not an alum, not a pure "sidewalk" fan either -- I'm an "extended family" fan. My father went to Tech one year before heading on to Annapolis. My mother grew up on Techwood Drive from the '20s to '40s, about a block or so from O'Keefe when it was very much still a junior high school. (And my mother worked on The Hill and in the Chem dept for about eight years, mid-40s to early '50s.) A long-gone cousin came to Atlanta from rural Hart County, and ended up working at Tech from the 20s to early 60s, much of it in the registrar's office. An uncle barely, and I do mean barely, graduated from Tech, going there on the G.I. bill after a delightful island-hopping Pacific tour with the Marines in WW2.

Not being a math/science guy, and coming from the comfortable confines of a small private high school, I had no inclination nor business considering Tech, so I didn't -- a small liberal arts college in Florida is where I graduated, later followed by a law degree from Georgia State when it was getting off the ground in the '80s. Frankly, while a mild fan of Tech through my 30s, it really wasn't until the past 15-20 years I kind of shifted into becoming a more hardcore fan.

(Oh: My mother, now 94 and quite feeble, still misses no Tech football or basketball game on TV. The last Tech football game she attended in person was a good one; we went down to Tampa for the ACC title game in 2009.)
Holy crap - super humbled welcome to all you non-GT peeps! Much Respect.
agree with bwelbo. Super humbled love it that ~40% are sidewalk fans. Thank you with much respect. Graduated in 75 in ME after almost 6 years. Never would of been able to get in today. Interesting how many people say they may have gone to GT if there were more majors. Thanks again for all of you non alum fans!!

MarineJacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Did not attend Tech, but wish I had tried. My father attended Tech in late 40s and 50s and saw many of Dodd's best teams - but like many others, he never graduated. Like others here, I am from Athens and was surrounded by UGAG fans growing up, so I wanted to be different and became a Tech fan at the salty age of 8 - Eddie McAshan was one of my first heroes. Been a Tech fan all my life through thick and thin years. It took me going to college while in the US Marines to really start to comprehend what a great school Tech was - academics first and then athletics.

I graduated from The Citadel, and was not able to even try to go to Tech - the commissioning program I got into was only utilized at approx 18 schools back then, and of course they opened up the program the next year to include any school with Naval ROTC, so of course Tech was included, but too late for me.

Son graduated from UofA, Huntsville with ME, daughter graduated from UGA in Forestry, but both are huge Tech fans (we were all Tide fans this past weekend). So 3 "sidewalk" fans here and proud to be Tech fans. THWG.
Semper Fi

MidtownJacket

Staff member
This thread is fascinating.

I am a BSPP 2007 grad from GT. Thought I was going to go to law school and wanted a Liberal Arts education so planned on going to Duke. Was from Ga, so applied to GT as well (at the urging of a family friend who is an immensely active alum) as well as UGA Honors College. I got in all three, but ended up choosing GT IAC. When I stepped onto campus for my recruiting event I knew it was home, the history and the campus were unique enough to be something special. I sat in on some classes and saw the value of a blended typical LibArts curriculum with the STEM twist that a school like GT could provide.

Fastforward 11 years later, I was accepted to Law school but deferred for a year got into sales then switched to consulting and haven't looked back. I married my GT ME 07 girlfriend from college days a few years ago and can't wait to teach our 7 week old daughter to cheer the brave and bold.

All that said, WTH man?! Hahah.. @Milwaukee throwing jabs. Most of the girls I dated at GT said, when referring to the men on campus, "The odds and good, but the goods are odd". They weren't wrong and neither are some of the people above, when they say there is a large percentage of odd birds on campus, but not all of us.

Thanks to all the fans (both alum and not). Let's outlaw the term "sidewalk fan" and just call it what it is, a big old messy family of people who support Ma Tech!

Deleted member 2897

This thread is fascinating.

I am a BSPP 2007 grad from GT. Thought I was going to go to law school and wanted a Liberal Arts education so planned on going to Duke. Was from Ga, so applied to GT as well (at the urging of a family friend who is an immensely active alum) as well as UGA Honors College. I got in all three, but ended up choosing GT IAC. When I stepped onto campus for my recruiting event I knew it was home, the history and the campus were unique enough to be something special. I sat in on some classes and saw the value of a blended typical LibArts curriculum with the STEM twist that a school like GT could provide.

Fastforward 11 years later, I was accepted to Law school but deferred for a year got into sales then switched to consulting and haven't looked back. I married my GT ME 07 girlfriend from college days a few years ago and can't wait to teach our 7 week old daughter to cheer the brave and bold.

All that said, WTH man?! Hahah.. @Milwaukee throwing jabs. Most of the girls I dated at GT said, when referring to the men on campus, "The odds and good, but the goods are odd". They weren't wrong and neither are some of the people above, when they say there is a large percentage of odd birds on campus, but not all of us.

Thanks to all the fans (both alum and not). Let's outlaw the term "sidewalk fan" and just call it what it is, a big old messy family of people who support Ma Tech!

Honestly, I would have never thought 40% here didn't go to Tech. Everybody seems smart, witty, and is apt to complain about just about everything. :woot:

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
I grew up in GA. Did well in high school until I found the company of nice women.
Then my grades suffered and I didn't even attempt to get in. I moved and went to school here in South Carolina. My love for tech developed as a young kid and have no family ties to GT. I love the fact that GT is an elite university. I like the demand and the rigor it takes to get out. I have had my ups and downs as a fan but I will always yell To Hell With Georgia.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Did not attend Tech, but wish I had tried. My father attended Tech in late 40s and 50s and saw many of Dodd's best teams - but like many others, he never graduated. Like others here, I am from Athens and was surrounded by UGAG fans growing up, so I wanted to be different and became a Tech fan at the salty age of 8 - Eddie McAshan was one of my first heroes. Been a Tech fan all my life through thick and thin years. It took me going to college while in the US Marines to really start to comprehend what a great school Tech was - academics first and then athletics.

I graduated from The Citadel, and was not able to even try to go to Tech - the commissioning program I got into was only utilized at approx 18 schools back then, and of course they opened up the program the next year to include any school with Naval ROTC, so of course Tech was included, but too late for me.

Son graduated from UofA, Huntsville with ME, daughter graduated from UGA in Forestry, but both are huge Tech fans (we were all Tide fans this past weekend). So 3 "sidewalk" fans here and proud to be Tech fans. THWG.
Semper Fi
Got out in 69 and met some Citadel guys in army advanced officers basic school , ft Jackson roomate, and Vietnam. All were super cool and competent. They said beware of the super strack types. Jimmy lightner was my roomate in late 69 70.

I guess I have the nerd mentality that Milwaukee pretty much denigrates, and I am neither proud of nor ashamed of that fact. I went to and got out of Tech in '66 with a BS in Phys and got out again in '67 with an MS in NE. I doubt very seriously that I could get in today, but my impression is that although it was easier to get in back in the 60s than it is today, it was probably harder to get out. That is just my IMPRESSION; I have no facts to back it up, but it just seems that it is not quite as hard there these days. Maybe that's because those who get in today are smarter than they were in the 60s. At any rate, in the 60's EVERYBODY went to the games. Now obviously, everybody didn't go, but I sure didn't know any students who didn't. And that's one of the thing that pisses me off today --- that student attendance is so pathetic. I simply don't buy the claim offered by some that they are too busy studying; I think that for whatever reason, they simply don't want to go. Frankly, I only personally know a few Tech alums, but those I know still support the team, and most of them go to the games, if not as season ticket holders, then whenever they can. But most of my Tech FAN friends either did not go there at all, or were unable to get out, and the majority of them also are either season ticket holders or go when they are able to. For the past two years I have brought a "kid" from my church with me to all the home games, and he has become a big and relatively knowledgeable fan simply because of the exposure he has had by coming with me. There is no way that he could even get into Tech today, much less make it there, but he has come to love the Jackets big time. So, even though I am probably a nerd by Milwaukee's standards, I am an enthusiastic nerd who, even at my age, gets as carried away at games as anyone else in the stadium, and I totally value and encourage the support of non-nerd non alums. If someone pulls for the Jackets, I really don't give a damn whether they went to Tech or not, and, as many have always said, we need a helluva lot more of them.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I guess I have the nerd mentality that Milwaukee pretty much denigrates, and I am neither proud of nor ashamed of that fact. I went to and got out of Tech in '66 with a BS in Phys and got out again in '67 with an MS in NE. I doubt very seriously that I could get in today, but my impression is that although it was easier to get in back in the 60s than it is today, it was probably harder to get out. That is just my IMPRESSION; I have no facts to back it up, but it just seems that it is not quite as hard there these days. Maybe that's because those who get in today are smarter than they were in the 60s. At any rate, in the 60's EVERYBODY went to the games. Now obviously, everybody didn't go, but I sure didn't know any students who didn't. And that's one of the thing that pisses me off today --- that student attendance is so pathetic. I simply don't buy the claim offered by some that they are too busy studying; I think that for whatever reason, they simply don't want to go. Frankly, I only personally know a few Tech alums, but those I know still support the team, and most of them go to the games, if not as season ticket holders, then whenever they can. But most of my Tech FAN friends either did not go there at all, or were unable to get out, and the majority of them also are either season ticket holders or go when they are able to. For the past two years I have brought a "kid" from my church with me to all the home games, and he has become a big and relatively knowledgeable fan simply because of the exposure he has had by coming with me. There is no way that he could even get into Tech today, much less make it there, but he has come to love the Jackets big time. So, even though I am probably a nerd by Milwaukee's standards, I am an enthusiastic nerd who, even at my age, gets as carried away at games as anyone else in the stadium, and I totally value and encourage the support of non-nerd non alums. If someone pulls for the Jackets, I really don't give a damn whether they went to Tech or not, and, as many have always said, we need a helluva lot more of them.

Your impression is correct, SS. I am also a nerd, and we need all of the fans we can get. That is awesome that you have brought a kid from church. I teach middle school boys at church, and I have considered doing the same, but being further away, it might only be one or two games a year. :)

It is not "elitist" to point out truths about the differences at GT compared to almost all other colleges. It is NOT saying we are "better", but it is just saying that the Institute is different - in good and bad ways. I am so happy we have fans that did not attend the school, but their opinions and perspectives are based on their experiences, just like yours and mine. When you, me, or anyone that has attended "the shaft", uh, I mean, GT :) speak out, we speak from experiential knowledge that we have, but that does not mean GT fans who have only been fans don't have an important perspective as well, and I think you and I both know that.

It is so frustrating that when we communicate realities at GT, that they are argued against for being "elitist" or "negative", when that is not how they are meant at all. There are limitations, but I don't think that means anyone wants to accepts being happy with mediocrity in our FB program. We all want the highest level of success possible, if we are true GT fans.

jmahone

Georgia Tech Fan
Well this got out of hand haha. I didn’t attend. My dad grew up in East Point so he has been a lifelong fan and passed it down to me. I possibly could have gotten into Tech but I lived out of state and didn’t have the work ethic at 18-22 to cut it at Tech. Heck I barely got out of UAH because I skipped class to play golf so often. Damn you Macroeconomic Analysis. Anyway, I’ll always be a Tech fan. Congrats to those that graduated from tech. Hopefully I’ll have some kids one day and maybe I can send them to Tech. I’ll do my best to pass down my love of the Yellow Jackets like my dad did for me.
I applied to Tech and got in, but couldn't afford the out of state tuition, so I went to UAH three straight terms beginning in the summer after high school graduation. Along the way, figured out I could co-op, which would help me finance my OOS tuition. Transferred to Tech in Spring of my freshman year, but as a sophomore due to UAH's crazy intense term schedule. While in HS in Huntsville and through all of my co-op winters in Huntsville, I had UAH Charger hockey season tickets and went to every home game.

Animal02

Banned
Your impression is correct, SS. I am also a nerd, and we need all of the fans we can get. That is awesome that you have brought a kid from church. I teach middle school boys at church, and I have considered doing the same, but being further away, it might only be one or two games a year. :)

It is not "elitist" to point out truths about the differences at GT compared to almost all other colleges. It is NOT saying we are "better", but it is just saying that the Institute is different - in good and bad ways. I am so happy we have fans that did not attend the school, but their opinions and perspectives are based on their experiences, just like yours and mine. When you, me, or anyone that has attended "the shaft", uh, I mean, GT :) speak out, we speak from experiential knowledge that we have, but that does not mean GT fans who have only been fans don't have an important perspective as well, and I think you and I both know that.

It is so frustrating that when we communicate realities at GT, that they are argued against for being "elitist" or "negative", when that is not how they are meant at all. There are limitations, but I don't think that means anyone wants to accepts being happy with mediocrity in our FB program. We all want the highest level of success possible, if we are true GT fans.
He may be a "kid" to Supersize, but in reality he is a young man. Have never met one so polite and gracious.

Hjacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Not an alum, never attended. Tulane undergrad and Emory Law. Atlanta native grew up at Grant Field and Alexander Memorial. Have had season tix to FB and BB for 25 to 30 years or so. My dad introduced me to GT at a young age. I have stayed a fan because I love the Fight Song, the logo and Buzz plus I respect the fact that GT, pound for pound, dollar for dollar, course choices for course choices, does more with fewer baked in advantages than any other Division 1 program. It hurts sometime and its frustrating at others, but when successful, the high is the highest and the smile is the brightest and the bragging is the loudest. BTW, I have two nephews who are alums and I think I had something to do with that!!