Per the Ajc: CPJ working through contract extension through 2022

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
So a few things of note for all of you who are ready to get rid of CPJ.
1. Since Bobby Dodd we have had only 9 seasons of nine wins or better. 5 under Carson,Curry, Ross, O'Leary. CPJ has had 4
2. Since Dodd we have only had 4 seasons of 10 wins or better. half of those belong to CPJ
3. For those that don't like our offense, guess what you wanted a Georgia Tech brand, well that is our brand. It comes up often and is very feared by many HC and DCs around the country. Saban wont play us.

I hope we get at least 4 more years out of CPJ, preferably 8, and then go get Jeff Monken and keep the train rolling.
Glad you posted this. I was going to look it up when I had the chance.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Go look on social media. Georgia tech fans are the only ones upset about this. The teams we play are happy.

Very few of the defensive coordinators are "happy" I can promise you that. Opposing teams' fans are the least of our worries. But I do understand your sentiments. You want something different, new, exciting that will reel in four and five star recruits. In the modern recruiting era we have had perhaps 3 or so truly 5 star recruits. Alabama will rack that up on a good week. Recruiting challenges at Georgia Tech are unique and cannot be solved by having a flash in the pan new coach. It simply does not work that way. But have at it.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
For all you young whipper snappers, (TIC), I understand your frustrations. But, I saw Carson, Fulcher, Pepper, Curry, Lewis, Ross, O’Leary, and can’t remember the rest. My heart broke when Curry and Ross left, but my two best memories are the Citrus and the Orange. I hate every loss, but I remember the days of getting blown out by FSU’s third string. And the days when UNCs Linebackers would chase down our fastest backs. I also know after nearly every coaching change, the next year was awful.
Carry on.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
my reaction:
giphy.gif

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
I can’t see giving an extension after not goin to a bowl 2/3 years. Unless we make this offense more dynamic with a legit passing attack im almost ready to throw in the towel on the triple option.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
I can’t see giving an extension after not goin to a bowl 2/3 years. Unless we make this offense more dynamic with a legit passing attack im almost ready to throw in the towel on the triple option.

If you don't think our offense is dynamic, then there's no help for you. Granted for the latter half of this past year, it was far from dynamic, but against Tenn and Miami it was plenty dynamic. The offense in 2014 was perhaps the most dynamic in the country, and we didn't pass all that much then either. What we need is not MORE passing; what we need is BETTER passing.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
he was? where did you see this; we extended roof and gave him a raise end of season this past year? I totally missed this. The last extension I was aware was in 2015.

Frankly, I can't find evidence of this online but it may be true. His 2015 contract was set to end in 2017. But apparently you are saying he signed another?

I was told his choice was reduced salary (bigtime) and positions coach or leave....

You were told??? I coulda swore you made it happen yourself.:cigar:

You sir are just the kind of Tech fan, that real Tech fans shake their heads at. Loser mentality, don't care about winning as long as you get to keep you're man and your TO.Please stay far away.
No I am the biggest Tech fan in the world and have probably seen more years of Tech football than you have been alive. I live 1200 miles away and buy 4 season Tickets, West lower level so it comes with a hefty donation. I have been buying ticket since 1994 when my Grandmother died as she had tickets with my Grandfather from 1931. I fully understand the challenges of a Tech program and CPJ has been the most successful coach at Tech in my life time. Yes Bobby Ross got us a National Championship but I would bet if he were coaching Tech now he wouldn't even win 6 games.
And as I have stated tot his group before what makes me such a fan and the proof.......I am a UGA Grad 1984. And no I NEVER pull for Georgie.

gobuzzgo

Georgia Tech Fan
If you don't think our offense is dynamic, then there's no help for you. Granted for the latter half of this past year, it was far from dynamic, but against Tenn and Miami it was plenty dynamic. The offense in 2014 was perhaps the most dynamic in the country, and we didn't pass all that much then either. What we need is not MORE passing; what we need is BETTER passing.

Tenn. Final 3 possessions = 19 plays, punt, fumble, missed fg…0 points-- Loss in OT

Miami Final 3 possessions = 12 plays, 16 yds…0 points… Loss by 1 FG @ end

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
Tenn. Final 3 possessions = 19 plays, punt, fumble, missed fg…0 points-- Loss in OT

Miami Final 3 possessions = 12 plays, 16 yds…0 points… Loss by 1 FG @ end
?? GT scored 2 touchdowns in OT? how can their final 3 possessions have zero points?

Or did you mean "final three possessions, except for the final two possessions".

If you're into cherrypicking stats, how about "Wake Forest, 2nd, 4th, 7th, 10th and 12th possessions, 0 points". That's how I'd do it.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
You obviously didn’t read my post good enough, a legit passing threat makes this offense dynamic. I can deal with that but after 11 years we shouldn’t be having the same problems over and over.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Can you show me how this has helped our recruiting since johnson gas been here?

You know what really attracts recruits? I’m actually curious to see what you think factors most. Some think it’s a head coach camping in the front yard of a 5 Star. Is that the magic you are looking for.

I have a couple of big ones I think factor more but I’m curious to hear your perspective first.

gobuzzgo

Georgia Tech Fan
?? GT scored 2 touchdowns in OT? how can their final 3 possessions have zero points?

Or did you mean "final three possessions, except for the final two possessions".

If you're into cherrypicking stats, how about "Wake Forest, 2nd, 4th, 7th, 10th and 12th possessions, 0 points". That's how I'd do it.
Sorry..meant last 3 in regulation when we could have iced a win by scoring or using clock.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
To some of the guys bashing CPJ, I understand why you want him gone and honestly I'm not content with only winning 5 or 6 games (even though Johnson has only done worse than that twice). Tech should be able to consistently win 8 games a year with occasional great years. In saying that, I'm 20 years old and only remember 2 coaches, CCG and CPJ. Give me CPJ all day every day and twice on Sunday. I will take the lows with the highs that he brings. Some of y'all are still living in the 90s and guess what, it isn't the 90s anymore. College football has changed completely with the biggest change being APR. CPJ brings us an advantage with his offense (I do believe that this isn't the only offense that will work here as some have suggested) and saves the school some money by being the HC and OC which is more important than I think some of y'all realize. I said it earlier, but I hope that he is able to retire here as he is one of the best coaches in Tech history.

They aren’t living in the 90s. At all. They are living in 1990. Kinda similar to a lot of mutts living in 1980.