Per the Ajc: CPJ working through contract extension through 2022

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I am a little luke warm about giving an extension after a losing season. It feels like rewarding mediocrity but I guess it makes sense given the new DC hire. I am fine with CPJ staying here as long as he likes though. I still think he gives us the best chance to succeed.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Our new D probably won’t click on all cylinders until 2019. Plus our kicking game is too deficient to expect great special teams play. On top of that some legitimate QB questions. 2018 might be good but I’ll be shocked if it ends up great.
If GT would have had a good performance by the special teams they would have been 8-3 in my opinion.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
You have to have a contract long enough for the kids you're recruiting to feel you'll be there when they graduate or you're dead in water recruiting.

PJ's mantra is you commit to the school, not the coach. James Franklin says you commit to the coach. Wonder if he took any of those kids at Vanderbilt with him when he went to Penn State. I think the answer is no.
The big thing is getting the money to bolster the recruiting staff and get the money for the 10th coach. The locker room and players lounge rehab was overdue and that will help in recruiting. While the league has gotten better from top to bottom, I think Tech is making the right strides, finally, to at least keep pace.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
PJ's mantra is you commit to the school, not the coach. James Franklin says you commit to the coach. Wonder if he took any of those kids at Vanderbilt with him when he went to Penn State. I think the answer is no.
The big thing is getting the money to bolster the recruiting staff and get the money for the 10th coach. The locker room and players lounge rehab was overdue and that will help in recruiting. While the league has gotten better from top to bottom, I think Tech is making the right strides, finally, to at least keep pace.
Quite a few of his Vandy kids are doing 20 years in Prison for rape:mad:James Franklin is a freaking scumbag who tried to cover up that rape case and left Nashville before he was implicated:mad:

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
Our new D probably won’t click on all cylinders until 2019. Plus our kicking game is too deficient to expect great special teams play. On top of that some legitimate QB questions. 2018 might be good but I’ll be shocked if it ends up great.
to be fair those are my predictions from 3-4 years ago ;)

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
What about the last four seasons? Well sensible folk tend to look at the body of work and as many factors as possible that apply.

That’s only for the sensible folk though. Carry on.

Okay, so two losing seasons in the last 4 and the third time in 10 years. You really think that's better?

How about this. Gailey in 6 years here was 44-32. Johnson, in the last 6 years, has been 42 - 35. But yeah. Can't imagine why people would be negative about Johnson. But hey, he won the ACC with Gailey's recruits way back when.

The ACC is passing us by and it's not because of facilities. It's because of head coaches.

I see what you’re saying. I’ve been to games at Auburn, Notre Dame, and Clemson. We have a much different game day than these schools. I would say these stadiums were more “electric” during the game which would be a big plus for many recruits. A lot of this can be attributed to a larger number of fans in the stadium. Some can also be attributed to the fans getting behind their team by being loud and knowing when to cheer. Some of our fans need some cheering instructions.

On the other hand, I am happy that we have a family-friendly atmosphere at BDS and our fans aren’t stumbling drunk and cussing like sailors. I know that this is not a selling point for recruits but it was nice when I brought a bunch a family members who were displaced by Irma to the Jax State game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It would also help us to have some measure of consistent support from the student body, the fraternities in particular. One game this past season (I forget which one) there were probably less than 100 students in the fraternity sections west of the band. And even when they do come, it's usually not until the second quarter. At South Bend in 2015, the ND student section was packed at least 30 minutes before kickoff.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
It would also help us to have some measure of consistent support from the student body, the fraternities in particular. One game this past season (I forget which one) there were probably less than 100 students in the fraternity sections west of the band. And even when they do come, it's usually not until the second quarter. At South Bend in 2015, the ND student section was packed at least 30 minutes before kickoff.

Amen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I think symbolically, TStan had to extend CPJ. The football program is in the midst of a pivot in terms of direction (new shoe/apparel contract, recruiting and support investment, new DC, etc.). There are a LOT of moving parts going on at the moment for GT, and IMO, it's all moving closer to the direction most of us have been asking/wishing for. This is probably the most change that's occured at one time since CPJ was hired. You can't do that and have the appearance that the captain of the ship is facing the plank.

CPJ has taken us to 3 ACCCGs, 2 OBs, and won an ACC title. The last 2/3 seasons have not ended the way we wanted, but CPJ has proven he can right the ship, and he's proven he can win here. Some may not like it, but CPJ does deserve to right the ship, and now he's being armed much better than he has been in a while.

It will be interesting to see the details of the contract. It's possible that CPJ only gets a nominal raise, and GT structures a very friendly buyout. In which case it just becomes an extension for appearances and recruiting purposes. As others have already said, you handicap a coach in recruiting if his contract doesn't at least see out the class he's recruiting for.

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
Not sure I'm crazy about the extension. Everyone jumped on roof this year but how about the offense 2 out of the last 3 years...also, tired of always hearing the "player missed his assignment"