Per the Ajc: CPJ working through contract extension through 2022

Tenn. Final 3 possessions = 19 plays, punt, fumble, missed fg…0 points-- Loss in OT

Miami Final 3 possessions = 12 plays, 16 yds…0 points… Loss by 1 FG @ end
The fumble was not the fault of the offensive scheme; it was poor ball handling. The missed FG was symptomatic of the entire year. Nevertheless, with any kind of defense, Tenn nor Miami would have been in the game.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
No I'm not but I've talked to people from numerous fanbases including ours and the fans of other teams are happy and the fans of GT that I've talked to are not happy about this.

Well, I’m happy about it. Just remember that Trump was “unpopular” on the day he was elected. This incorrect gauge of popularity was obtained from multiple sources and heavy nationwide polling. My point is that the people you know probably aren’t representative of the entire fan base.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Two of the last 3 seasons have been disappointing. The injuries in '15 were unreal and led to that down season, '16 back to a 9 win year and then '17, without a doubt the screwiest season I've ever seen. What could go wrong did and it snowballed. I really don't see a duplicate of it or the '15 season any time soon.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Roof was not fired. He left on his own to take a different job where he’d be appreciated...probably because he saw the writing on the wall [message boards] that the fanbase wanted him gone. Similar to O’Leary btw.
Well, there is fired, and there is fired. When I saw he was leaving, then read the Raleigh newspaper's account of his GT accomplishments, which were really a resume stretch it added up to fired, but you can say you left so long as you do it quickly enough a replacement can be hired. And thus it ended amiably enough.

Milwaukee

Banned
Why all the hatred for PJ all of a sudden? Influx of new posters?

This is a stepping stone job for anyone not named PJ, he actually wants to win a natty at Tech. I hope he stays another decade tbh. And yes I get frustrated as hell at his playcalling sometimes, I can't stand how poor our special teams overall awareness is, etc. In my book he has two more seasons to **** the bed before I'd want a change, but I don't see that happening. He's gonna bounce us back.

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
If you don't think our offense is dynamic, then there's no help for you. Granted for the latter half of this past year, it was far from dynamic, but against Tenn and Miami it was plenty dynamic. The offense in 2014 was perhaps the most dynamic in the country, and we didn't pass all that much then either. What we need is not MORE passing; what we need is BETTER passing.
Totally agree. A solid O line and a QB that can complete 50% or more of his passes and we are hard to stop on O.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Ive talked to 5 in the last couple hours that aren't happy with CPJ. But either way I would say the fanbase is split
All I know are the fans that sit around me and the ones I know that give money still want CPJ. Maybe they only listen to season ticket holder and people that give money.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
You know what really attracts recruits? I’m actually curious to see what you think factors most. Some think it’s a head coach camping in the front yard of a 5 Star. Is that the magic you are looking for.

I have a couple of big ones I think factor more but I’m curious to hear your perspective first.

I’ll take a stab at this. I’ve pondered this quite a bit and I wonder what your thoughts are on this subject.

I think the answer depends on high school ranking. If I’m a four or five star player I would want lots of playing time from day one and as much national television exposure as possible. The goal for these athletes is going to the NFL. If I’m a three star or less, I would say the reasons would vary wildly. Probably anything from hot coeds to excellent academics and everything in between. For me, it would probably be good academics and athletic program that I felt like I could be real part of that had a good coach.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
You know what? Imagine for a moment that Johnson runs the read option from the shotgun. He has no A backs or B backs but running backs and fullbacks. And that guy there at the end of the line is a real tight end, 240 pounds of blocking. Imagine further that his career mark at Georgia Tech is exactly the same as it is with his option offense, and he has the same academic and funding problems. And a bit more, that he really is not the public scold he often appears. Do that and it is not hard for me to imagine that all those objections fade away and his accomplishments are noted.

I'm glad he's getting the extension, both because I like his offense and because recruits do look at that. (Even Clemson's Swinney got in a nice kneecapper of OSU's Urban Meyer when he plucked his prize OT from under his nose by noting nobody knew how much long Meyer would coach, while he, Swinney, was only 47. It is a hardball game, that recruiting.)

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I’ll take a stab at this. I’ve pondered this quite a bit and I wonder what your thoughts are on this subject.

I think the answer depends on high school ranking. If I’m a four or five star player I would want lots of playing time from day one and as much national television exposure as possible. The goal for these athletes is going to the NFL. If I’m a three star or less, I would say the reasons would vary wildly. Probably anything from hot coeds to excellent academics and everything in between. For me, it would probably be good academics and athletic program that I felt like I could be real part of that had a good coach.

I think you are pretty much on point. But I’ll simply it further.

I think recruits typically look for a school that will offer them a fun daily atmosphere and a fun and exciting game day atmosphere.

The institute can do some things to enhance the former. Our fickle fanbase isn’t likely to ever provide the latter consistently. Yeah big Thursday night games can compete with anyone. But the other 4 odd Home games leave a lot to be desired.

Compare us to the factories. We don’t compete. We have enough fans within a hundred mile radius to fill the stadium but we rarely do so. Not without a lot of fillers from our opponents.

We all want 4 and 5 star players. And high 3s also. Of the ones we target and get official visits from...look at the teams also getting officials from them. Then compare them to us and tell me our game day experience doesn’t suck *** in comparison.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I think we have a good shot but I may be crazy too. I've been on record since 2014 as to saying "2018 is our year!" just based on classes. Two years after JT with an older RB corp and a decent D. We'll see how it plays out.

Our new D probably won’t click on all cylinders until 2019. Plus our kicking game is too deficient to expect great special teams play. On top of that some legitimate QB questions. 2018 might be good but I’ll be shocked if it ends up great.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
I think you are pretty much on point. But I’ll simply it further.

I think recruits typically look for a school that will offer them a fun daily atmosphere and a fun and exciting game day atmosphere.

The institute can do some things to enhance the former. Our fickle fanbase isn’t likely to ever provide the latter consistently. Yeah big Thursday night games can compete with anyone. But the other 4 odd Home games leave a lot to be desired.

Compare us to the factories. We don’t compete. We have enough fans within a hundred mile radius to fill the stadium but we rarely do so. Not without a lot of fillers from our opponents.

We all want 4 and 5 star players. And high 3s also. Of the ones we target and get official visits from...look at the teams also getting officials from them. Then compare them to us and tell me our game day experience doesn’t suck *** in comparison.

I see what you’re saying. I’ve been to games at Auburn, Notre Dame, and Clemson. We have a much different game day than these schools. I would say these stadiums were more “electric” during the game which would be a big plus for many recruits. A lot of this can be attributed to a larger number of fans in the stadium. Some can also be attributed to the fans getting behind their team by being loud and knowing when to cheer. Some of our fans need some cheering instructions.

On the other hand, I am happy that we have a family-friendly atmosphere at BDS and our fans aren’t stumbling drunk and cussing like sailors. I know that this is not a selling point for recruits but it was nice when I brought a bunch a family members who were displaced by Irma to the Jax State game.