Per the Ajc: CPJ working through contract extension through 2022

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
We all certainly remember the shock & anger when GOL left for Notre Dame sure. It’s the growing feeling of discontent that has faded from memory. After lifting the program to 10 wins in ‘98 that ceiling became the new floor, and he wasn’t able to match that afterward, dropping to 7-5 and losing to Georgia before bolting. The fanbase lost their appreciation, so when a premier job came calling you bet he took it.

Yes it’s not *exactly* like Roof, but he definitely didn’t get fired - he left - and declining fan-love was a factor IMO.

Well GOL left for his dream job. Roof left from a great job where his son played for at best a lateral move. One was clearly pushed out a bit. but fan discontent may be part of it too...

oh i for sure remember some folks having some discontent. I thought it as more fringe to be honest, and Bill obrien got alot of flack iirc too. He was young at the time.

Look at how good GOL staffs were though

Doug Marrone. HC NFL
BOB. HC NFL
Dave Huxtable. DC NC State
Fridge. HC NCAA
1 year Edsall, HC NCAA
geoff collins as a GA/TE coach, NCAA HC
Glen Spencer DC Ok St

Man he could pull together one heck of a staff.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member

TechCubed

Helluva Engineer
Whenever I see back and forth about CPJ, I think back to this quote from Ted Turner:

In 1980, the Braves finished fourth with their first record above .500 since 1974. However, Cox was undone by the 1981 baseball strike when the Braves finished fifth and owner Ted Turner fired him. Asked at a press conference who was on his short list for manager, Turner replied, "It would be Bobby Cox if I hadn't just fired him. We need someone like him around here."

For all the people clamoring for a coaching change, if you offered up a coach who had won multiple FCS championship, excelled at a tough academic institution, was a 3-time Power-5 coach of the year and been to two major bowl games, they'd be ready to throw a welcome parade.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Well GOL left for his dream job. Roof left from a great job where his son played for at best a lateral move. One was clearly pushed out a bit. but fan discontent may be part of it too...

oh i for sure remember some folks having some discontent. I thought it as more fringe to be honest, and Bill obrien got alot of flack iirc too. He was young at the time.

Look at how good GOL staffs were though

Doug Marrone. HC NFL
BOB. HC NFL
Dave Huxtable. DC NC State
Fridge. HC NCAA
1 year Edsall, HC NCAA
geoff collins as a GA/TE coach, NCAA HC
Glen Spencer DC Ok St

Man he could pull together one heck of a staff.

Maybe Roof left because he realized he wasn't getting it done and didn't want to tarnish his alma mater any further.

So a few things of note for all of you who are ready to get rid of CPJ.
1. Since Bobby Dodd we have had only 9 seasons of nine wins or better. 5 under Carson,Curry, Ross, O'Leary. CPJ has had 4
2. Since Dodd we have only had 4 seasons of 10 wins or better. half of those belong to CPJ
3. For those that don't like our offense, guess what you wanted a Georgia Tech brand, well that is our brand. It comes up often and is very feared by many HC and DCs around the country. Saban wont play us.

I hope we get at least 4 more years out of CPJ, preferably 8, and then go get Jeff Monken and keep the train rolling.

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
So a few things of note for all of you who are ready to get rid of CPJ.
1. Since Bobby Dodd we have had only 9 seasons of nine wins or better. 5 under Carson,Curry, Ross, O'Leary. CPJ has had 4
2. Since Dodd we have only had 4 seasons of 10 wins or better. half of those belong to CPJ
3. For those that don't like our offense, guess what you wanted a Georgia Tech brand, well that is our brand. It comes up often and is very feared by many HC and DCs around the country. Saban wont play us.

I hope we get at least 4 more years out of CPJ, preferably 8, and then go get Jeff Monken and keep the train rolling.
I'm a fan of CPJ, don't get me wrong. But the 9 wins argument doesn't really paint the whole picture. We didn't start playing 12 games a season until 2000, and when we switched over we kept the same number of conference games on the schedule (8). This meant we were to add a non-conference game. Over the years, those have devolved into games against either 1-AA/FCS or low-level 1-A/FBS schools. Essentially it's an additional win on the schedule. In the 4 years you stated, we won exactly 9 games twice (2008 and 2016). Without Jax St/GW in 2008 and Mercer/Ga Sou in 2016, we probably don't get to 9 wins.

Again, I'm a fan of CPJ and what he's done. It's just not apples to apples when comparing 9 win seasons.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
With the way coaching salaries are going we are going to feel some pain when we have to hire Paul Johnson's replacement. I'll guess $4million for an unproven coach and the top guys will be all clearing $10million by then.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
We just extended a coach after his second losing year in the last 3. But hey, why not? He has a lot of people convinced that the problems are either with the guys below him, who get shown the door, the guys above him for not spending enough, or both. Always a problem with those around him, never a problem with him. It's amazing how many people refuse to hold the head coach responsible with the team struggles.

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
I want Coach to be at Tech as long as Bill Snyder's been at Kansas State. He just that good.

And, I might add, I think Coach has already said that he'll coach until he loses interest in doing it. I see very few signs of that.
I agree. His ability to coach offense on the field is amazing to me at times. He absolutely hates losing in a way that few of today's millionaire coaches seem to. An overdue change at DC should help noticeably next season with turnovers and TFL.
I have always felt that CPJ could beat opponents with less talent, equal talent , and even better talent , just not a lot better talent. If we can continue to get recruiting upgraded, I feel we should not have any losing sesons in the future. We should certainly have many more 9+ win seasons . JMO.

I'm a fan of CPJ, don't get me wrong. But the 9 wins argument doesn't really paint the whole picture. We didn't start playing 12 games a season until 2000, and when we switched over we kept the same number of conference games on the schedule (8). This meant we were to add a non-conference game. Over the years, those have devolved into games against either 1-AA/FCS or low-level 1-A/FBS schools. Essentially it's an additional win on the schedule. In the 4 years you stated, we won exactly 9 games twice (2008 and 2016). Without Jax St/GW in 2008 and Mercer/Ga Sou in 2016, we probably don't get to 9 wins.

Again, I'm a fan of CPJ and what he's done. It's just not apples to apples when comparing 9 win seasons.
Ok, then just compare 10 win or more, CPJ has half of them.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
The article also suggests that they have reached a agreement in principle. CPJ and his attorney are awaiting a draft of the contract but feel good about getting things completed in short order.
Man, that makes me feel terrific. You got a head coach that should be on the hot seat to be fired, hooking up with his attorney to press a new AD for an extension plus a raise!! And, oh yea, the extension will cover me till I turn 65. Ooops, I almost forgot, the AD has also come up with a new program to ask football donors for more contributions in order to float facilities that the football coach states that he wants. Hey! has new new AD (TS) stated that he needs to hear the expectations we get from the football coach after these changes?

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
I want Coach to be at Tech as long as Bill Snyder's been at Kansas State. He just that good.

And, I might add, I think Coach has already said that he'll coach until he loses interest in doing it. I see very few signs of that.
Oh my gosh!!!! Hahahah this is what's wrong with our fan base. CPJ is the best ever!!! I'm literally laughing at this comment.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
Exactly. With everything being done to move GT into the 21st century from a football operations standpoint, it would make little sense not to extend his contract to cover 4 years of time. Also, as others have pointed out, two year extensions are the norm in coaching as coaches approach the end of their contract. It allows for stability in recruiting.
Can you show me how this has helped our recruiting since johnson gas been here?

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
Man, that makes me feel terrific. You got a head coach that should be on the hot seat to be fired, hooking up with his attorney to press a new AD for an extension plus a raise!! And, oh yea, the extension will cover me till I turn 65. Ooops, I almost forgot, the AD has also come up with a new program to ask football donors for more contributions in order to float facilities that the football coach states that he wants. Hey! has new new AD (TS) stated that he needs to hear the expectations we get from the football coach after these changes?
Nope as one poster said, he wants CPJ to be our Snyder. So basically CPJ can decide what he wants to do. We are letting him control our program.