Per the Ajc: CPJ working through contract extension through 2022

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
He is the associate head coach and co-DC at NCSU. He still wants a shot at a HC job. I was told by a friend of mine who is a NCSU alum and donor that he has a good shot at the NCSU job if/when Doeren moves up. Can’t say I understand the fascination with him as a HC, but apparently Doeren wanted him on staff. AHC was a stipulation of the deal.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ted_Roof

I’m glad NCSU worked out for him. But if Roof was leaving for greener pastures I doubt TD would have followed him out the door.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Nothing I said had anything to do with what recruits think.

Ahh okay, thought you were referring to recruiting since you stipulated CPJ won the ACC with Gaileys recruits.

That stipulation would have indicated CPJ is a better XsOs coach but not as good as recruiting as Gailey.

But that’s not what you were saying after all. And “it’s not because of facilities”...,(n)

So please expand on your contention of how the ACC is passing us by.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
a. Could you list the injuries by name, date, and position. The ga tech injury report is less accurate than the weights on the roster.
I know Lee was nicked up.. Braun and cooper damn near played every down. Marshall never stepped on field. I had opportunity to see Bryan and stick a couple of times at mid season and they seemed fine. Shamire seemed his regular old powerful self.
Perhaps the Morgan so were injured? They played a few plays.

B. Just some thoughts follow: The depth issue is in some way self made by the lack of rotation. I guess the theory is the backups can't play because the starters are so much better . The counter theory is the reason their bad is they don't play.

C. In the Virginia game we had 19 pass attempts and about 6 pass but scramble plays. Also during the heavy passing part of the game we did not run a lot of options . We did run some counter options with the guard pull.
Seems like we could let some of the back ups play in this parts of the game.
D. I was less than impressed with the ol run blocking in the last 5 games . We did look good on 2 drives in v t while Bryan was playing. i think they felt him to small for settle (4) Nt, but he cooper and Braun did well with him . Once they started passing they replaced him w the giant ol guy.

E. If normal our plan is to hope the upper class men are well and fit in 18 and we hope the backups are enjoying watching the game.

I was using "injury/depth" as a generic way of talking about them not being at full strength, especially the last part of the season. The actual "injuries," as I recall, were Marshall, both Morgan twins, Stickler, Lee, and I think also Ivemeyer. All of these weren't out at the same time, but some were. Even if not out for injury, I think they were playing banged-up at the end. At the beginning of the season, I think we were able to get some rotation with 7 then 6 bodies. I'm not sure that we got any rotation the last couple of games.

Anyway, I'm not saying that I know this was the biggest issue. It was just my impression that it seemed the effectiveness of our offense declined over the course of the game and that some of it was attributable to decreasing effectiveness of our line, which--given its effectiveness earlier in the season--could be the result of guys playing hurt or without sufficient rotation. Take it for what it's worth.

I'm also open to the suggestion of @33jacket that Marshall got too much inside his own head (or whatever) and began trying to force it.

As to your suggestion about playing more depth to get them experience, I'm pretty sure that the only OL not listed above in discussion of injuries who did not play were true freshmen or walk-ons.

Jmonty71

Banned
oh please. There are good character kids in all programs except the mutts. DeShaun Watson - the epitome of the type of athlete we can't recruit - is by all accounts one of the nicest "good guys" who's played college football. This high-horse attitude that GT players are somehow better people than most kids in other programs is elitist and asinine.

Frankly, I hope we get kids who can play football and win games.
I'm not saying all 4 and 5 star kids have bad character. But, there is a decent percentage that does.. They KNOW they can do almost whatever and be ok. Winston comes to mind.. How many Ugag players have DUI's and drug charges?? Look at some Ole Miss players.. The list can go on... If I really wanted to dig for the info.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
Okay, so two losing seasons in the last 4 and the third time in 10 years. You really think that's better?

How about this. Gailey in 6 years here was 44-32. Johnson, in the last 6 years, has been 42 - 35. But yeah. Can't imagine why people would be negative about Johnson. But hey, he won the ACC with Gailey's recruits way back when.

The ACC is passing us by and it's not because of facilities. It's because of head coaches.
Wow that stat is scary.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
So please expand on your contention of how the ACC is passing us by.

Coaching. The league is passing us by in coaching. And no, it's not just on the defensive side either. People love to talk about how great Johnson's offense is, but the fact is we are now at the point where the offense isn't good enough to win a game unless the defense hold's teams under 28. We've done it once in the last 3 years and that was the duke game where we gave them the ball twice in a row on their side of the field for TDs. And it's not like we just need the defense to hold teams under 28 to win. We've lost 7 games the last 3 years where we gave up 28 or less in regulation. Now ideally we should be able to hold most teams under 28, but if we must do that to win then there really isn't any advantage to the offense we run like fans claim.

We'd be better off if Johnson hired an OC, took a step away from play calling, allowed the new OC to adapt the offense, and focused on being the head coach of the entire team, not just one side of it.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Coaching. The league is passing us by in coaching. And no, it's not just on the defensive side either. People love to talk about how great Johnson's offense is, but the fact is we are now at the point where the offense isn't good enough to win a game unless the defense hold's teams under 28. We've done it once in the last 3 years and that was the duke game where we gave them the ball twice in a row on their side of the field for TDs. And it's not like we just need the defense to hold teams under 28 to win. We've lost 7 games the last 3 years where we gave up 28 or less in regulation. Now ideally we should be able to hold most teams under 28, but if we must do that to win then there really isn't any advantage to the offense we run like fans claim.

We'd be better off if Johnson hired an OC, took a step away from play calling, allowed the new OC to adapt the offense, and focused on being the head coach of the entire team, not just one side of it.
You're going to be disappointed if you are looking for any offense that scores more then 28 points every game. Not going to happen all teams have 1 or 2 bad games. I'm more of the guy that if my defense gives up over 28 points I'm disappointed in the defense knowing that most of the time the other offense will only have the ball 12 times or less per game.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
You're going to be disappointed if you are looking for any offense that scores more then 28 points every game. Not going to happen all teams have 1 or 2 bad games. .

Except that isn't what is said at all. It's not that I expect our offense to score more than 28 every single game. It's I expect our offense to occasionally be able to win games where the opposing team scores 28. But we don't have that now.

Cam

Helluva Engineer
I don't understand people who even entertain the thought of firing Paul Johnson. Even if he was doing horribly or was showing signs of giving up (which neither is true), we are currently paying for Paul Hewitt, Brian Gregory, and Josh Pastner on the basketball side of things until 2019. If we hire a new head coach, we'd be paying for the new guy in addition to STILL paying Paul Johnson until 2022 (if I understand how contracts work). We're not Texas A&M. We don't have tons of money to throw around. We're poor. In order to get a better coach than CPJ, we'd have to pay so much that we'd be sending the program into a financial black hole just because we THINK the new guy MIGHT be better. When our woes already revolve around not having the proper facilities, staff, and recruiting to keep up with competitors, we'd be setting ourselves even further back until at least 2020 when rebuilding would begin. Like it or not, we have CPJ until at least 2019. It's fruitless to call for his head until then.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
I misspoke earlier. There aren't a lot of people hating on PJ, it's only like 3 people here. The pulse of the fanbase is pro PJ at this time and It's not even close.
Nope. This board is obviously pro CPJ no matter what. Fanbase is clearly split about him and if you can't see that then I don't know what to say

Nope. This board is obviously pro CPJ no matter what. Fanbase is clearly split about him and if you can't see that then I don't know what to say
This so-called fanbase that you refer to probably has never given a cent to Tech, either Roll Call or AT Fund, nor bought season tickets. CPJ is supported almost unconditionally by every TRUE fan that I know or have come across.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
This so-called fanbase that you refer to probably has never given a cent to Tech, either Roll Call or AT Fund, nor bought season tickets. CPJ is supported almost unconditionally by every TRUE fan that I know or have come across.
So if your not in love with CPJ you're not a true fan? Hahahaha I've given to the the AT fund twice in the last 2 week's but I guess I'm not a real fan. That statement you just made is a joke

So if your not in love with CPJ you're not a true fan? Hahahaha I've given to the the AT fund twice in the last 2 week's but I guess I'm not a real fan. That statement you just made is a joke
And how many times or how much have you given in the past 50 years? I realize you are young, so I know the answer to that question. But the TRUE fans are the ones who have been supporting Tech through thick and thin (a helluva lot of thin) over the years, and I can assure you that WE are not stopping now, nor are we calling for yet another ride on the coaching carousel that has doomed us ever since Dodd. You apparently have no idea what changing coaches, no matter the reason, does to a team. Each change means at least 3 years before things get turned around, other than with Johnson, who provided better results with Gailey's talent than Gailey could in his first two years alone.