Paul Johnson time frame.

What gets CPJ fired or encouraged to resign?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

scrappy_95

Georgia Tech Fan
Things have definitely changed. Classes used to have 1 maybe 2 A’s total. Think I had 4-5 classes where there were ZERO A’s. Profs of those classes were immensely proud of themselves.
Amen...haven't been at Tech for over 25 years...but any EE who had Dr. Su or Dr. Moad will tell you that half the class was taking them again the next semester. I got my C and gave a prayer of thanks to God for his grace and mercy for that darn C. NO JOKE! Orientation speech of "look to the left of you, now look to the right...only one of you will make it" That was not a pep talk to get you motivated but just stating a FACT!

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Obviously, many of us got Cs or worse at Tech. However, the people who shot for Cs to get degrees ended up on the Mtrain then out.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Amen...haven't been at Tech for over 25 years...but any EE who had Dr. Su or Dr. Moad will tell you that half the class was taking them again the next semester. I got my C and gave a prayer of thanks to God for his grace and mercy for that darn C. NO JOKE! Orientation speech of "look to the left of you, now look to the right...only one of you will make it" That was not a pep talk to get you motivated but just stating a FACT!
My first year I thought they were referring to the entire row! I swear we lost 25% or more in that first quarter. They probably don’t post the All Man’s average any more. Not politically correct and the list of categories would be a mile long now!

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
Fat Freddie sucked as a quarterback at Alabama and he sucks as an NFL coach
Ugghhh, I had Dr Su! Went to his office time and his only advice was "You not read book. Book very good!" He literally wrote the book and it was so bad no other school would use it.

scrappy_95

Georgia Tech Fan
Obviously, many of us got Cs or worse at Tech. However, the people who shot for Cs to get degrees ended up on the Mtrain then out.
Yes...I agree with you 100% but what I don't think anyone is really pointing out is that this team was down and out. We were shooting for A's and were landing on F's. We were 1-3. We had a D at midterms but now we have pulled ourselves up to a C. There are countless examples of people and teams mailing it in (Louisville, UNC) . Our team didn't. I am not for or against CPJ, I am for Tech. To his credit, he didn't mail it in nor did his team. They didn't quit on him nor did he quit on them. We are a hard nose team with a hard nose coach, now finally playing hard nose football. It above my pay grade to say if we need a new coach or not, but he makes it really easy for me to pull for him. That is all I am really asking for. Make me proud to wear the white and gold. Now what make you proud to do that...well that up to each of you. If we make a change next couple year, so be it, but I am still riding with this guy and I am still enjoying it.

Last edited:

scrappy_95

Georgia Tech Fan
Ugghhh, I had Dr Su! Went to his office time and his only advice was "You not read book. Book very good!" He literally wrote the book and it was so bad no other school would use it.
Dude....my Dad had Su. I asked him if he had any advice. He said "He wrote the book when I was in school...does he still us it." I said "Yes"...he said "Nope...good luck"

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
I bet Gailey wishes he had this type of support from the fanbase a little over a decade ago. The program was in better shape having never missed a bowl game and recruiting better.

Crazy how the perception of our program has diminished among our fans to the point we are now willing to take results we wouldn’t stand for a decade ago.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
I think whats interesting with CPJ especially after last night is that we have such a bipolar team sometimes and bi polar seasons. When we suck we look really bad, when we run our offense correctly we look pretty damn good.
I look at North Carolina, had our season gone that way sure CPJ would be gone, but how do you fire a coach after wins like last night?

scrappy_95

Georgia Tech Fan
I bet Gailey wishes he had this type of support from the fanbase a little over a decade ago. The program was in better shape having never missed a bowl game and recruiting better.

Crazy how the perception of our program has diminished among our fans to the point we are now willing to take results we wouldn’t stand for a decade ago.
Not sure that is a fair assessment. CPJ highs are much higher and lows are much lower. Gailey never beat UGA, never won the ACC and never went the a "BCS" Style bowl. He also never had a losing season. So with people supporting CCG, there was no residuals from the regression line but with CPJ there is. So the question of giving CCG patience was not really a reasonable request since there was no variation. With CPJ, the question really is, can you live with the really low times knowing that you are going to get some really high times. The program has not fallen, but the variation is much higher, therefore a little more frustrating to alot of people. What I think everyone wants is low variation from 10 wins. I agree with you on this, but so would 95% of all the teams in America. Here is what I like about the anti-CPJ/pro-change crowd. They are coming from a place of good. They don't dislike CPJ, they just want Tech better. I respect that, I pray they don't stay silent, they are valuable to keeping our program moving forward. I am not one of them, but thank goodness they are around.

Last edited:

JStewart2227

Jolly Good Fellow
How about Freddie Kitchens to the list of CPJ replacements? A bit Chan gaileyish, but coached with Saban and Parcells. Maybe looking for NFL job tho (or to succeed Saban, if so some college HCing would be good).

Don’t believe he would be the one for the job, but that’s just my opinion. I don’t think we should look to the nfl for a coach. My opinion is looking for a proven recruiter within the college level now. Someone that’s with the current times. Don’t think Freddie has proven him self anywhere

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

We changed three coaches over the past off-season, including the DC. How in the world can someone seriously consider that "willing to take the results"?

Clearly, that is either not a serious opinion or it's the opinion of people who aren't very bright.

Mind you, people might disagree with keeping cpj as part of not willing to take the results. However, it's stupid to think we are willing to take bad results when we change three coaches.

That's why I don't think you're serious because I don't think you're stupid.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer

CCG deserved to be fired. CCG's crowning achievement is 6 points against Wake.

overlay

I would rather have a few losing seasons every now and then and actually have a team capable of getting to and winning an Orange Bowl. The only good thing CCG did was have one good recruiting class. Anything else is revisionist bull****.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer

Going to Orange Bowls, besting mutts, division and conference championships go a long way.

Status
Not open for further replies.