Paul Johnson time frame.

What gets CPJ fired or encouraged to resign?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
Going to Orange Bowls, besting mutts, division and conference championships go a long way.
Add to that CCG's 2-3 record in bowl games, with the 2 wins being the Humanitarian and Champs Sports Bowls. (Yes, I know CPJ's record is 3-5 in bowl games, but 2 of his wins were in the Orange Bowl and the Sun Bowl [both against teams that had been ranked #1 some time during the year] and the TaxSlayer Bowl against an SEC team. Also, per one site I found his (CCG's) Strength of Schedule for his last 3 years went from 6.48 to 1.64 to 1.24 (0.00 being an "average"), and yet he still only won 7 games in 2007. CCG won >7 games 1 time during his time here, and CPJ has done it 5 times (and could possibly hit 6 this year).

It appears to me that some of the anti-CPJ folks who don't like him and his system will consistently use (ad nauseum) the words "mediocre" and "mediocrity", but will then argue how much better a coach CCG was than CPJ.

Last edited:

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
I bet Gailey wishes he had this type of support from the fanbase a little over a decade ago. The program was in better shape having never missed a bowl game and recruiting better.

Crazy how the perception of our program has diminished among our fans to the point we are now willing to take results we wouldn’t stand for a decade ago.

I was sick of never beating georgie. Plus our highs are much higher with CPJ. I will take another 10 years of CPJ instead of 10 years of CCG in a heartbeat

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Add to that CCG's 2-3 record in bowl games, with the 2 wins being the Humanitarian and Champs Sports Bowls. (Yes, I know CPJ's record is 3-5 in bowl games, but 2 of his wins were in the Orange Bowl and the Sun Bowl [both against teams that had been ranked #1 some time during the year] and the TaxSlayer Bowl against an SEC team. Also, per one site I found his (CCG's) Strength of Schedule for his last 3 years went from 6.48 to 1.64 to 1.24 (0.00 being an "average"), and yet he still only won 7 games in 2007. CCG won >7 games 1 time during his time here, and CPJ has done it 5 times (and could possibly hit 6 this year).

It appears to me that some of the anti-CPJ folks who don't like him and his system will consistently use (ad nauseum) the words "mediocre" and "mediocrity", but will then argue how much better a coach CCG was than CPJ.

1. On "sports reference " ga tech 117 years, I see the SOS we have to date in 2018 is approx -1.5.
2. Will it jump up to the 6.5 we ended 17 ias we play uva andcugaor are the teams we have played so far really that bad.?
3. Looking back in the Dodd /Carson era why are the SOS numbers approximately 6.5 over almost 2 decades. ?

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
CCG deserved to be fired. CCG's crowning achievement is 6 points against Wake.

overlay

I would rather have a few losing seasons every now and then and actually have a team capable of getting to and winning an Orange Bowl. The only good thing CCG did was have one good recruiting class. Anything else is revisionist bull****.

If I remember correctly they had Calvin Johnson on that team. Best WR ever!

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
1. On "sports reference " ga tech 117 years, I see the SOS we have to date in 2018 is approx -1.5.
2. Will it jump up to the 6.5 we ended 17 ias we play uva andcugaor are the teams we have played so far really that bad.?
3. Looking back in the Dodd /Carson era why are the SOS numbers approximately 6.5 over almost 2 decades. ?
I saw that too (#1). I was wondering if the -1.5 is based on only the teams we have already played or takes into consideration games to come (if the former, surely our numbers will go up since UVA and u(sic)ga have better records. Also, I take during-season SOS's with a little grain of salt, because some of our competitor's strength numbers are based on their losses, and our wins/losses against them are included. The way I understand it, it's rather convoluted. Our SOS is based on our beating a team that has so many losses, but one of those losses were to us. If we had lost to that team, our SOS would be higher because the other team(s) would have more wins and appear to have a slightly stronger team. I'll admit I'm no expert on the SOS computation.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
I was sick of never beating georgie. Plus our highs are much higher with CPJ. I will take another 10 years of CPJ instead of 10 years of CCG in a heartbeat

If you could guarantee the second 10 would be like for his first 10 I would agree with you. I see this program on a downward trajectory however and I don’t believe CPJ is the right coach moving forward. I appreciate the work Johnson did in his first decade in totality. Specifically his first 7 years. Years 8-11 are the problem.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
If you could guarantee the second 10 would be like for his first 10 I would agree with you. I see this program on a downward trajectory

I disagree. The AD is raising money, a LOT of money for reinvestment. The locker rooms have been upgraded. There are plans to redo parts of BDS for a better game day experience. New coaches have been hired. Overall ... we're doing ok.

On a WPCT basis, Tech's lifetime wpct is 0.592 and CPJ's is 0.582, which is hardly a dumpster fire.

We need more ... to win more. But despite ALL of the headwinds, we are still average in the Top Quartile ... and for a school is that is one of the Top 50 STEM schools in the world. I'd say we're doing pretty well.

Animal02

Banned
I disagree. The AD is raising money, a LOT of money for reinvestment. The locker rooms have been upgraded. There are plans to redo parts of BDS for a better game day experience. New coaches have been hired. Overall ... we're doing ok.

On a WPCT basis, Tech's lifetime wpct is 0.592 and CPJ's is 0.582, which is hardly a dumpster fire.

We need more ... to win more. But despite ALL of the headwinds, we are still average in the Top Quartile ... and for a school is that is one of the Top 50 STEM schools in the world. I'd say we're doing pretty well.
Not to mention the percentage of players that are graduating with high paying degrees.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Calvin Johnson just said it perfect, after being so highly recruited he chose GT over UGA and anywhere else because of the education. Now will
Every kid come for that, no. But with the right recruiters in place our academics can be sold as a positive thing in recruiting and not a negative

I was ecstatic when I heard his reasoning for choosing Tech! A lot of potential recruits will hear his message and that message is coming from a real classy guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Amen...haven't been at Tech for over 25 years...but any EE who had Dr. Su or Dr. Moad will tell you that half the class was taking them again the next semester. I got my C and gave a prayer of thanks to God for his grace and mercy for that darn C. NO JOKE! Orientation speech of "look to the left of you, now look to the right...only one of you will make it" That was not a pep talk to get you motivated but just stating a FACT!

Sounds like Prof. Samford (Physics), Freshman year, Spring '82. By drop/add day about a 1/3 of the class was left. 69.72 = D, no rounding up.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
If I remember correctly they had Calvin Johnson on that team. Best WR ever!
Sure did. We were held 10 points or under 4 times that year.

If a poster says they think we can do better as a program, that's fine. It's just an opinion. When they bring CCG into the argument they become objectively wrong, and it becomes hard to take them serious. Were people just honey mooning from the Oleary years for so long that they forgot how bad CCG was? I can't understand this fascination with a coach who consistently underperformed.

Status
Not open for further replies.