Paul Johnson time frame.

What gets CPJ fired or encouraged to resign?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
If we beat UVA, I see a 0% chance that Johnson is fired this winter. If we lose both UVA and UGA and also lose the bowl game and finish 6-7, I could see it as a possibility... but I think he's done a great job righting the ship and winning some key games. I'd love to have the Pitt game back, more than any of the others.

Having listened to the latest Stansbury Podcast, I think CPJ is safe through next year at this point. TStan is on the same page with CPJ about support, expectations and doing things differently than the competition- eg the 3O offense.

I do expect we're going to seem some changes this off season to staff and systems. We shook up the D staff last year. I predict CPJ finally gets some extra money for assistants and hires a couple good new faces (or returning old faces...) on the offensive staff and more recruiting upgrades. TStan needs something to point to, to show progress/effort, when he asks the boosters for money.

A 3-0 finish would probably boost fundraising and solidify this. 0-3 (god forbid) would have CPJ riding into next season with his chair on fire.

Cam

Helluva Engineer
He gets a bonus for 6 wins per his contract.... going 5-1 after a 1-3 start he might just get another contract extension
He'll only get a contract extension if we win out and win the bowl game, I think. And even then I think it's unlikely. The last extension was kind of Stansbury giving him a 2 year clock to prove he can get it done with the right resources (updated locker rooms, first choice DC, adidas contract, expanded recruiting staff). There's no real rush to extend him until after 2019.

northgajacket

Banned
We're 6-4 with no chance of winning a dirt easy division thumping our chests because we are bowl eligible by beating teams with a combined record of 14-34 (FBS). As far as I'm concerned I'll piss on the rope and you can use it as a pillow.

Facts

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
We're 6-4 with no chance of winning a dirt easy division thumping our chests because we are bowl eligible by beating teams with a combined record of 14-34 (FBS). As far as I'm concerned I'll piss on the rope and you can use it as a pillow.

I know the record is only part of the story, but before the season started the average projection on this board was that we would go 7-5, considering the schedule. We're now 6-4 and on a course to go 7-5. We had a rocky start but now the defense is gelling and we've won 5 out of the last 6. I have some reservations about CPJ as well, but I'm just pointing out that the record is what we expected it would be at this point.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I
I know the record is only part of the story, but before the season started the average projection on this board was that we would go 7-5, considering the schedule. We're now 6-4 and on a course to go 7-5. We had a rocky start but now the defense is gelling and we've won 5 out of the last 6. I have some reservations about CPJ as well, but I'm just pointing out that the record is what we expected it would be at this point.

I too look at the trend lines. I see improvement not just in W-L's but across the board in ST's,D, OL and schemes. I see youth that I think will be special players. If we win out, this year will be a very special season despite the start. The only possible way to spoil this would be to get manhandled in Athens like we did against Clemson but I don't expect that to happen at all. Call me a sucker, but I like teams that can rally and pull themselves together over the course of a long and tough season.

LibertyTurns

Banned
@4shotB Agree we’re on an uptrend. This season has been maddening for sure. Probably 1 turnover and 1 boneheaded Head Coach call away from 8-2 and playing for a 2nd shot at Clemp. But we’re not the only team that’s saying that.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I’m going to make a couple observations here:

We won against dah U finally.

We looked in control and had every bit of swagger we needed during this game. I felt like we were going to win the whole game. Even during their opening scoring drive to start the game.

Our team is playing their role inside the position group assignment well, trusting the guy on their left or their right and just doing their job. I love this. On a huge Saturday night stage we just came and balled out.

Loved hearing Calvin’s interview about why he chose Georgia Tech. While he stayed away from endorsing the option (which he is on record as saying he wouldn’t of played in, he was every bit the positive and complimentary dude we have come to expect from him). He is a great man, and I am proud to call him one of our jolly good fellows. The shot at uGa was priceless too!

Coach played some things differently this game, with punts and field goals, and showed we are getting back to being able to rely on ST and the D in a way we haven’t for many years. This is a HUGE deal in my opinion. Removing some of the pressure on the O to be flawless and score 7 every time will go a long way in reducing the fumbles we have seen from guys trying too hard and over extending their leverage /blocking scheme / position on field.

Mo Bamba sounded good from the band to my ear over the broadcast but I would love to see a video of the proud men and women in white and gold playing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I don't think CPJ is the long term solution for GT, but a real GT fan NEVER roots against their team just so a coach looks bad. CPJ is a good guy, my only issue is some of the off the field stuff has passed him by or he just doesn't care about...which ends up hurting GT. It's neither here nor there at this moment as things are rolling and I'd like to see them continue to roll to 9 wins.

I'm ecstatic we're finally bowl eligible. I'm more excited that guys like Anree, Brad Stewart, Taquan, Brant Mitchell, Jalen Johnson, and other seniors will get a nice trip for the Holiday, and hopefully we can close out the season with 9 wins. Which means we beat UGA and knock them out of playoff contention.

LawTalkin Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
How about Freddie Kitchens to the list of CPJ replacements? A bit Chan gaileyish, but coached with Saban and Parcells. Maybe looking for NFL job tho (or to succeed Saban, if so some college HCing would be good).

Status
Not open for further replies.