Paul Johnson time frame.

What gets CPJ fired or encouraged to resign?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
I have never seen a list of all the offers we gave out from 2007. Also, for some reason 2007 was an anomaly and not the norm

It really wasn't an anomaly if you look back to the decade prior to 07 and also consider what Gailey was doing in 08 before he was fired.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
OL recruiting 3 star and up
2004 - 5 offered 0 signed
2005 - 2 offered 0 signed
2006 - 8 offered 0 signed
2007 - 13 offered 2 signed

This is the reason I take issue with Gailey and why CPJ deserves way more credit for 2008 and 2009 then he gets. Gailey left CPJ with a rag tag OL (who weren't recruited to fit the scheme to begin with). The cherry on top is Gailey couldn't recruit a QB either.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer

It can also be proven that we no longer get transfers that are not grad transfers because they would immediately be ineligible due to progress toward graduation.
We also suffer from kids wrapping up their degree earlier and we miss out on having a number of redshirt seniors. It hurts our get old and stay old idea. All of this is fact. You can choose to believe it or not but it is fact.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
It can also be proven that we no longer get transfers that are not grad transfers because they would immediately be ineligible due to progress toward graduation.
We also suffer from kids wrapping up their degree earlier and we miss out on having a number of redshirt seniors. It hurts our get old and stay old idea. All of this is fact. You can choose to believe it or not but it is fact.

You may certainly be right. But the one thing I do know is the there is no evidence Johnson has a smaller recruiting pool due to academics or the hill than Gailey.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

I have wondered about this and have 2 questions:
1) I don't remember players graduating early or before they had used up eligibility in the past. Is the school in fact easier now? Are we recruiting smarter players? Is it a function of the rule towards academic progress?
2) Now that this is a reality for our program, I would be curious if happens at GT more so than at other schools and, if so, why?

Anyone have any wisdom/insight to share? I'll hang up and listen...my radio is already off.

Animal02

Banned
You may certainly be right. But the one thing I do know is the there is no evidence Johnson has a smaller recruiting pool due to academics or the hill than Gailey.
Except that CPJ has had to deal with APR from the start, whereas Gailey only had it the last couple years of his tenure. Not to mention the toughening of the standards in 2011. If you do not believe that impacts how you recruit.....you are a fool.

slugboy

Staff member
I have wondered about this and have 2 questions:
1) I don't remember players graduating early or before they had used up eligibility in the past. Is the school in fact easier now? Are we recruiting smarter players? Is it a function of the rule towards academic progress?
2) Now that this is a reality for our program, I would be curious if happens at GT more so than at other schools and, if so, why?

Anyone have any wisdom/insight to share? I'll hang up and listen...my radio is already off.
1) We don't seem to be unusually high compared to other schools or GT history. We aren't graduating players faster. We've just had several senior linemen leave to do other things (Nascar, grad school elsewhere, etc.). So there's anecdotes, but the numbers don't bear it out. It leaves a lot of "coulda been" feelings. There are some schools that do seem to have a lot of 5th year seniors on the line, but they're unusual, and Management is a degree that a sharp athlete can get through in less than four years more easily than Electrical Engineering.
2) Nope. About the same. Possible difference is that some factories retract scholarships in favor of new recruits, so they might have more new kids fighting for a starting spot.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
1) We don't seem to be unusually high compared to other schools or GT history.

Thanks for the response. I would ask what do you use as GT history? I got out in '81. I can remember always players leaving for academic reasons but I don't recall players graduating early and leaving with eligibility. And the bulk of our players have always been focused in management/business majors in my time as a fan But, as you say, my perception is just that and I don't have data to support or refute my position on this.

slugboy

Staff member
Thanks for the response. I would ask what do you use as GT history? I got out in '81. I can remember always players leaving for academic reasons but I don't recall players graduating early and leaving with eligibility. And the bulk of our players have always been focused in management/business majors in my time as a fan But, as you say, my perception is just that and I don't have data to support or refute my position on this.

This came up before, and I thought that we'd been graduating and losing more eligible linemen, but I wanted to double-check. I checked the rosters at ramblinwreck.com, and we've had a fairly consistent number of redshirt seniors over the past 15 years or so (as long as I've been able to check rosters). I also compared the number of our red shirt players vs a few other teams, here and there, and they're in the same ballpark.
There's only so far I can go back, but it's enough that it doesn't look like we've started graduating players faster.
It's possible that we've tried to redshirt more players and failed, and the number of redshirt seniors has stayed the same even though we've tried to add more, but I don't see an easy way to check for that.

LibertyTurns

Banned
The CPJ haters are facing the proverbial fork in the road tomorrow. If the Jackets prevail, they will be sadly disappointed but will state the win doesn’t really count because the U sucks this year. They’ll pray to God we lose to Vag or get slaughtered by the mutt.

Should we lose, standby for relentless clamoring of fire coach. You will not be able to read a thread on here that does not mention firing, even the one on the border wall.

We will know in less than 36 hrs.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
Except that CPJ has had to deal with APR from the start, whereas Gailey only had it the last couple years of his tenure. Not to mention the toughening of the standards in 2011. If you do not believe that impacts how you recruit.....you are a
The CPJ haters are facing the proverbial fork in the road tomorrow. If the Jackets prevail, they will be sadly disappointed but will state the win doesn’t really count because the U sucks this year. They’ll pray to God we lose to Vag or get slaughtered by the mutt.

Should we lose, standby for relentless clamoring of fire coach. You will not be able to read a thread on here that does not mention firing, even the one on the border wall.

We will know in less than 36 hrs.

I literally shook my head at this post. I’m sure I’m one of the posters you are referring too and you couldn’t be further from the truth. I will be at BDS tomorrow night with my family of 4 pulling hard for the jackets.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
I literally shook my head at this post. I’m sure I’m one of the posters you are referring too and you couldn’t be further from the truth. I will be at BDS tomorrow night with my family of 4 pulling hard for the jackets.
Boaty1 just because we feel we can do better than CPJ these people think we want GT to lose. Couldn't be farther from the truth.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Guess I struck a nerve and have “targeted” some die hard fans in the process. Sorry. Work must get in the way when we’re winning or playing well it appears. Now that I understand some people’s posting habits are purely coincidental I won’t make that mistake again.

JStewart2227

Jolly Good Fellow
Calvin Johnson just said it perfect, after being so highly recruited he chose GT over UGA and anywhere else because of the education. Now will
Every kid come for that, no. But with the right recruiters in place our academics can be sold as a positive thing in recruiting and not a negative

Animal02

Banned
Calvin Johnson just said it perfect, after being so highly recruited he chose GT over UGA and anywhere else because of the education. Now will
Every kid come for that, no. But with the right recruiters in place our academics can be sold as a positive thing in recruiting and not a negative
Tech needs CJ as an ambassador for the school

Milwaukee

Banned
A lot of people are working tonight.

I was waiting on one of these. Let's not act like we haven't looked like **** in all 3 phases at times this year and let's not act like we just won the SuperBowl. Paul's job isn't safe imo nor should it be.

But enough about that, let's enjoy the win tonight. Or not, we can keep poking each other.

Animal02

Banned
I was waiting on one of these. Let's not act like we haven't looked like **** in all 3 phases at times this year and let's not act like we just won the SuperBowl. Paul's job isn't safe imo nor should it be.

But enough about that, let's enjoy the win tonight. Or not, we can keep poking each other.
CPJ is safe for at least through 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.