Paul Johnson time frame.

What gets CPJ fired or encouraged to resign?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
And we also wouldn't have a thread with this topic. But we don't have a better defense with fewer fumbles and the coach has had 10 years to get us a better defense with fewer fumbles. That's why some are upset.

It looks like we finally have a DC who WILL get us a better defense. At least things are trending that way. We have also had years where our fumbles were a lot less than this your so "10 years to fix fumbles" is fake news. Fumbles are coming from young backs. The years where fumbles were a lot less where highly experienced backs, hence the saying get old and stay old. With all the unexpected losses we have had at B-Back, this explains a lot of it. Plus we are running with a freshman QB now.

It would be foolish to switch coaches now.

GT14

Jolly Good Fellow
"10 years to fix fumbles" is fake news.

And yet we are having a fumble problem that is losing us football games. I hardly think it's fake news, maybe a bit of a harsh critique when we haven't been so bad in this area in previous years, but definitely not fake news.

It would be foolish to switch coaches now.

I disagree, but I don't think we'll reach a conclusion that we both agree on here.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
If CNW gets better front 7 recruits, our D will improve under him. If he does not, it will not improve significantly. I continue to say, and my opinion will not change, that defense is mostly about jimmies and joes, not what the DC knows. I believe that we overachieved under CTR, and I guess since the D this year is about on par with (except 3rd down D is worse) CTR's, I have to say that CNW is also overachieving with what he has inherited.

Now, an incompetent DC, which I do not believe either man is, could mess up even above average talent, but I believe both men have coached up the talent that exists on the D side of the ball.

slugboy

Staff member
If CNW gets better front 7 recruits, our D will improve under him. If he does not, it will not improve significantly. I continue to say, and my opinion will not change, that defense is mostly about jimmies and joes, not what the DC knows. I believe that we overachieved under CTR, and I guess since the D this year is about on par with (except 3rd down D is worse) CTR's, I have to say that CNW is also overachieving with what he has inherited.

Now, an incompetent DC, which I do not believe either man is, could mess up even above average talent, but I believe both men have coached up the talent that exists on the D side of the ball.

I'm not going to knock getting bigger, faster, stronger athletes, but we could see a big uptick in our defensive effectiveness if the linebackers (especially the middle linebackers) make faster decisions, and the cornerbacks keep an eye out for the ball. We can play a lot better with the players we have, just by knowing the system and trusting the other players. There's plenty of room to coach up who we already have.

1939hotmagic

Jolly Good Fellow
This first season with CNW, most of us reasonably believed there would be growing pains, but hoped there would be, at least, more turnovers caused by the Tech D. We got that, significantly so. Mission accomplished for this season.

panther42

Jolly Good Fellow
Not totally accurate. CPJ said during his time at Tech, he has been offered 8 other HC jobs. The only one he publicly named was Auburn. But, he turned them all down. Said he likes the kids at Tech.
I've always wondered if he was really offered the job or if there was just interest shown. I think it still the success of his system comes down to recruiting, and he would have easier classes to offer at a UF or AU, but I still think that the recruiting would take a big hit. I remember his initial success at Tech came because Gailey had just signed his best class ever. I would like to see what he could do at a lower level SEC like MSU or SC, decent in-state talent low academic standards, and no history of being big winners.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
And yet we are having a fumble problem that is losing us football games. I hardly think it's fake news, maybe a bit of a harsh critique when we haven't been so bad in this area in previous years, but definitely not fake news.

I disagree, but I don't think we'll reach a conclusion that we both agree on here.
The comment about having fumble problems for 10 years is not true, hence the fake news comment. I agree we are having fumble issues this year, but it is not endemic to all years. It actually correlates well to how many years the backs and QB's have been in the system.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I've always wondered if he was really offered the job or if there was just interest shown. I think it still the success of his system comes down to recruiting, and he would have easier classes to offer at a UF or AU, but I still think that the recruiting would take a big hit. I remember his initial success at Tech came because Gailey had just signed his best class ever. I would like to see what he could do at a lower level SEC like MSU or SC, decent in-state talent low academic standards, and no history of being big winners.

Per Auburn, he was offered 3M to coach there, but said no. CPJ mentioned this in an interview, so I’ll see if I can find it.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I find this narrative about CPJ winning with Gailys players somewhat amusing. Every other coach gets a 1-2 year honeymoon, no matter how much talent they inherit, because the players weren't recruited to their system. If anything, CPJ should get extra credit for winning those games in 08-09 since those players were not recruited to run the option, but rather for a more pro-style system.

Bottom line is that trolls and people who dislike CPJ or his offense are always going to find a reason to cherry pick the stats to prove their points. I am not wedded to CPJ, but I think you have to look at a coaches entire body of work. So far, CPJ has been a good hire for GT. If we make it to a bowl this year, I don't see him going anywhere next year, no matter how much moaning goes on in the internet.

JStewart2227

Jolly Good Fellow
Interesting. So the conclusion is we should install an offense that is less productive and this will help us how?

With a better defense and fewer fumbles, we’d be 6-2. And very respectable.

And while we can be a Top 25 team, its not practical to say we will win another NC. To do that, we’d need another 50 million in revenue. I just dont see that happening.
You’re one of the ones on here that just don’t let other people have their own opinions, your opinion has to be the right one. Think what you want to and believe in your opinion and I’ll do the same. Quit getting so butt hurt that everyone doesn’t agree with you.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
You’re one of the ones on here that just don’t let other people have their own opinions, your opinion has to be the right one. Think what you want to and believe in your opinion and I’ll do the same. Quit getting so butt hurt that everyone doesn’t agree with you.

My opinion is just mine. I’m only curious. Without getting emotional, if you replace our current offense ... which seems to be working .. with one that isn’t as profuctive using the same measures ... do you expect to improve our record?

Its not about being butt hurt. Its about using data to improve. I think its a legitimate question.

JStewart2227

Jolly Good Fellow
My opinion is just mine. I’m only curious. Without getting emotional, if you replace our current offense ... which seems to be working .. with one that isn’t as profuctive using the same measures ... do you expect to improve our record?

Its not about being butt hurt. Its about using data to improve. I think its a legitimate question.
I think it’s time to move on to something else. I’ve said before, yes our offense puts up productive numbers but as of lately it doesn’t put them up against good teams. We have beat no one good this year. I’m not a participation type guy. We may never win another National Championship but why not change things to try. With CPJ we’re not going to win another ACC Championship. I’m ready for a change. Ready to bring in someone that can recruit and bring some of this in state talent to GT. I would love to see CPJ finish this year on a good note and retire. I respect the man very much and he has done very good things at Tech but his time is up. There’s not even many high schools running this offense anymore. But this offense does belong in high schools and in FCS schools. I’m not the type to think we’ll never win another natty. I believe we can be right up there again being on top of the ACC and being just as good as UGA. People hate on Key because of how he recruited against Tech while at UCF. All coaches do that. Anywhere else he goes he’ll recruit against and say things about all other schools to get his guys and he gets them. With us being in the city of Atlanta, in a wide open coastal, new facilities, with Adidas, etc if we get the right coach that is a high level recruiter we can get the better talent to Tech and with that we can run a different offense and produce more than what CPJ has done and more than CCG did. The right guy that will turn our negatives in recruiting into a positive thing for guys to come and make them understand why Tech is a great school to come play for and what all it offers. There is a lot of 4 and 5 star athletes in Georgia that would love to stay home that don’t go to UGA but go out of state. Some of them don’t come for other reason but a majority is our offense. It even makes some guys transfer. And CPJ will never recruit a top defense and neither will CNW. There’s several other offenses we could transition into and be just as productive and better. Several great coaches that could come in and tweak their system to fit the guys on the team until theirs get there. And a great recruiting coach like someone like Key could bring in the right coordinators and assistants and position coaches to help him. They would get better athletes and with the athletes they get they’ll still take their system and tweak it some to fit what they get. Not saying we’ll have a top 5 recruiting class but a lot better and then you take those guys into your offense and defense and make it happen. People have loved CPJ because instead of trying to get better at recruiting they would rather settle and have a coach that can be decent with the talent he can get, not strive to get the high profile guys.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
I find this narrative about CPJ winning with Gailys players somewhat amusing. Every other coach gets a 1-2 year honeymoon, no matter how much talent they inherit, because the players weren't recruited to their system. If anything, CPJ should get extra credit for winning those games in 08-09 since those players were not recruited to run the option, but rather for a more pro-style system.

Bottom line is that trolls and people who dislike CPJ or his offense are always going to find a reason to cherry pick the stats to prove their points. I am not wedded to CPJ, but I think you have to look at a coaches entire body of work. So far, CPJ has been a good hire for GT. If we make it to a bowl this year, I don't see him going anywhere next year, no matter how much moaning goes on in the internet.
Its an absolute fact CPJ won with Gaileys players. Not quite sure what you are saying

I think it’s time to move on to something else. I’ve said before, yes our offense puts up productive numbers but as of lately it doesn’t put them up against good teams. We have beat no one good this year. I’m not a participation type guy. We may never win another National Championship but why not change things to try. With CPJ we’re not going to win another ACC Championship. I’m ready for a change. Ready to bring in someone that can recruit and bring some of this in state talent to GT. I would love to see CPJ finish this year on a good note and retire. I respect the man very much and he has done very good things at Tech but his time is up. There’s not even many high schools running this offense anymore. But this offense does belong in high schools and in FCS schools. I’m not the type to think we’ll never win another natty. I believe we can be right up there again being on top of the ACC and being just as good as UGA. People hate on Key because of how he recruited against Tech while at UCF. All coaches do that. Anywhere else he goes he’ll recruit against and say things about all other schools to get his guys and he gets them. With us being in the city of Atlanta, in a wide open coastal, new facilities, with Adidas, etc if we get the right coach that is a high level recruiter we can get the better talent to Tech and with that we can run a different offense and produce more than what CPJ has done and more than CCG did. The right guy that will turn our negatives in recruiting into a positive thing for guys to come and make them understand why Tech is a great school to come play for and what all it offers. There is a lot of 4 and 5 star athletes in Georgia that would love to stay home that don’t go to UGA but go out of state. Some of them don’t come for other reason but a majority is our offense. It even makes some guys transfer. And CPJ will never recruit a top defense and neither will CNW. There’s several other offenses we could transition into and be just as productive and better. Several great coaches that could come in and tweak their system to fit the guys on the team until theirs get there. And a great recruiting coach like someone like Key could bring in the right coordinators and assistants and position coaches to help him. They would get better athletes and with the athletes they get they’ll still take their system and tweak it some to fit what they get. Not saying we’ll have a top 5 recruiting class but a lot better and then you take those guys into your offense and defense and make it happen. People have loved CPJ because instead of trying to get better at recruiting they would rather settle and have a coach that can be decent with the talent he can get, not strive to get the high profile guys.

And you no doubt are a kid who knows nothing about football and Georgia Tech. I have seen every offense under the sun here at Tech and no one is as good as CPJ, even Ralph Friedgen, who went 2-9 and 3-8 with some pretty good players.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
Its an absolute fact CPJ won with Gaileys players. Not quite sure what you are saying

I think what he is trying to say is in the majority of the coaching turnovers, the players the new coach inherits are not going to fit a new offense or defensive scheme. So the coach should actually get extra credit for have good years with someone else's players.
He did get some excellent weapons on the offense, but he also got some poor fitting OL players. As we all know the OL is make our break just like the QB.

So overall had he had the same record with the players he got, then it would have been a wash, but that was not the case. He actually improved our record. So he gets extra credit for winning with Gailey's players

Status
Not open for further replies.