Paul Johnson time frame.

What gets CPJ fired or encouraged to resign?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
My opinion is just mine. I’m only curious. Without getting emotional, if you replace our current offense ... which seems to be working .. with one that isn’t as profuctive using the same measures ... do you expect to improve our record?

Its not about being butt hurt. Its about using data to improve. I think its a legitimate question.

Gailey’s last 4 years were better than Johnson’s last 4 years. And considering our last coach was not as good as the one before him, it would appear Johnson’s offense is an overall hindrance to the program.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
I think what he is trying to say is in the majority of the coaching turnovers, the players the new coach inherits are not going to fit a new offense or defensive scheme. So the coach should actually get extra credit for have good years with someone else's players.
He did get some excellent weapons on the offense, but he also got some poor fitting OL players. As we all know the OL is make our break just like the QB.

So overall had he had the same record with the players he got, then it would have been a wash, but that was not the case. He actually improved our record. So he gets extra credit for winning with Gailey's players

I agree with this. Maybe we can bring in a coach who can get our talent level back to where it needs to be and then bring in another triple option coach to have multiple really good years with.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
I agree with this. Maybe we can bring in a coach who can get our talent level back to where it needs to be and then bring in another triple option coach to have multiple really good years with.

The best option would be to bring in the recruiting staff necessary to get our defensive recruiting back like it was. People tend to forget that the majority of our nfl players have been linebackers or defensive lineman historically. If we can get defensive recruiting back to that and in my opinion spend one scholarship on a scout team QB like bama does we could do great things.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer

I do think the progress toward graduation is forcing us to be even more picky with who we recruit. Something CCG did not have to deal with. That is why having a large recruiting staff is critical for us. In my opinion, more important than switching coaches. Something closer to 15 or so for a recruiting staff instead of 4. Any coach we bring in will have the same issue keeping kids eligible. Lets at-least build up some core infrastructure to help out whenever we do get a new coach.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
I do think the progress toward graduation is forcing us to be even more picky with who we recruit. Something CCG did not have to deal with. That is why having a large recruiting staff is critical for us. In my opinion, more important than switching coaches. Something closer to 15 or so for a recruiting staff instead of 4. Any coach we bring in will have the same issue keeping kids eligible. Lets at-least build up some core infrastructure to help out whenever we do get a new coach.

As prevelalent as this theory is on this board, there is no evidence to support it. For example we have offered more 4 & 5 star players this year than we did in 07. We just simply don’t close on our top targets these days.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
As prevelalent as this theory is on this board, there is no evidence to support it. For example we have offered more 4 & 5 star players this year than we did in 07. We just simply don’t close on our top targets these days.

I have never seen a list of all the offers we gave out from 2007. Also, for some reason 2007 was an anomaly and not the norm

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Gailey’s last 4 years were better than Johnson’s last 4 years. And considering our last coach was not as good as the one before him, it would appear Johnson’s offense is an overall hindrance to the program.

There is no data to support your point. It reminds me of Lord Kelvin: “I often say that when you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge is of a meagre and unsatisfactory kind.”

I don’t discount anything you’ve said. But citing real facts makes a real argument.

There was another post that cited the offense today is the best CPJ has ever produced and showed the data. That’s what I’m after. If we change offense and the current performance gets cut in half ... will we be happy?

JStewart2227

Jolly Good Fellow
And you no doubt are a kid who knows nothing about football and Georgia Tech. I have seen every offense under the sun here at Tech and no one is as good as CPJ, even Ralph Friedgen, who went 2-9 and 3-8 with some pretty good players.
I’m not a kid, and I know plenty about football and Georgia Tech, but I can have my own opinion. I’m a grown man, but it sounds to me like you’re and old man weirdo that tries to start arguments with kids. As a grown man or human for that matter I’m entitled to my own opinion and you’re entitled to yours. Your also entitled to get butt hurt when someone doesn’t agree with you and doesn’t follow what you say. You’re another one the ones that only your opinion is right and you’re feelings get hurt because we don’t think the same. If you don’t agree with me, and don’t wanna just talk and discuss, but wanna argue with what’s you believe is a kid don’t reply to what I say old man

AlphaBuzz

Georgia Tech Fan
Based on what I have read from other posters, yes some people would rather have a worse offense that throws from the shotgun.

(Sarcasm on) But, but, but we'll suddenly be recruiting all the 4 and 5 star players that our meanie coach and high school offense (#10 OFEI) turns away. You know, the ones that we've always signed before CPJ. (Sarc off)

Before CPJ got here, the "problem" was that Gailey was not recruiting locally and all the Georgia players were ready to come to GT if we'd just recruit them. CPJ has tried, CCG tried and CGOL tried. Those guys don't want to play here and aren't going to sign here. School is REAL here and every 4 or 5 star has been told he is going to since he entered high school. He believes it and school is not on his mind, calculus is not a consideration. The ones who do think about life after football (or what to do if it doesn't work out) are few and far between and we have to go find them wherever they may be across the ountry.

The offense works. If our underclassmen could have hung on to the ball in uSF and Dook, we have 2 more wins, are ranked and talking about how awesome our season is. The D is getting TO's, which is what we all hoped for. I don't think we should throw the baby out with the bath water hoping some new offense will work when we have to compete with all those factory schools within 4 hours of us who recruit in the same places for the same players.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
There is no data to support your point. It reminds me of Lord Kelvin: “I often say that when you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge is of a meagre and unsatisfactory kind.”

I don’t discount anything you’ve said. But citing real facts makes a real argument.

There was another post that cited the offense today is the best CPJ has ever produced and showed the data. That’s what I’m after. If we change offense and the current performance gets cut in half ... will we be happy?

Hell no we won't!

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
My point exactly. Most offenses, no matter how good, look good against a real good defense. And I am excluding turnovers in the observation.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer

Thinking about this a little more, I realized you are just stating an opinion with nothing to back it up. My opinion is it does effect us. I also, like throwing out a wide net to as many 4 and 5 start players that we think may cut it. But I think we are desperately in need of a much larger recruiting staff to help find the ones that may be interested and help their interest along.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
Thinking about this a little more, I realized you are just stating an opinion with nothing to back it up. My opinion is it does effect us. I also, like throwing out a wide net to as many 4 and 5 start players that we think may cut it. But I think we are desperately in need of a much larger recruiting staff to help find the ones that may be interested and help their interest along.

No. I've done research on this. You can choose to believe it or not but it is fact.

https://n.rivals.com/search#?formVa...orgia Tech"],"page_number":1,"page_size":100}

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.