Paul Johnson time frame.

What gets CPJ fired or encouraged to resign?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I think the main problem with the 2013 offense was more a matter of practice time put in. Against people that we were much better than. ( Duke, Elon) It looked great. But we really didn't have a ton. I think it was always supposed to be a package thing. Something to add to the offense that year in a step toward modernizing it. The thing was we still needed our base playbook to work and vad did not buy into it. Against teams with a lot more talent than we have the new offense was at a severe disadvantage. It was less mutable. UGA 2013 remember was basically a lot of run and shoot passing. AND WE LOST because we relied on throwing the ball on early downs to get gains. This lead to a very costly vad lee interception that set up the tying score to send us to overtime. We had to abandon option routes as well that year. Since vad couldn't read them. That meant that playcalling went from Spread 776 to Spread 7 X go y Post Z drag. Because of the lack of option route concepts it also killed some of our protections because if you take a play that is a 3 man route like most of our playside pass concepts out of base and remove the option routes and you need the A -back to stay into pick up a 7 man blitz. The Receiver needs to be able to read the likely cover 3 and pull up the route. Vad would throw into triple coverage.
In 93 my sons hs team ran the air raid, the power I, the TO. We probably werent deep in the play book and weren't perfect but the defenses were totally confused. Made it 13-0.

What if the back up practiced some more pass friendly variation that's different than our base. ? He could come in when we are down 15 w 1 quarter to go.

We need to mix it up. The 2 year starter qb has trouble reading the EVER MORE DISGUISED defenses.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
I don't like names like Malzahn or Charley Strong. If you can't make it work at schools like Auburn or Texas, how can you possibly make it work at GT? yes, Cutcliffe got canned at Ole Miss and he is doing good things at Duke. But I don't think Duke is our benchmark. Or at least I hope it isn't.
The big money Alumni at Texas didn't give Charley Strong a chance at all:rolleyes:

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I think the main problem with the 2013 offense was more a matter of practice time put in. Against people that we were much better than. ( Duke, Elon) It looked great. But we really didn't have a ton. I think it was always supposed to be a package thing. Something to add to the offense that year in a step toward modernizing it. The thing was we still needed our base playbook to work and vad did not buy into it. Against teams with a lot more talent than we have the new offense was at a severe disadvantage. It was less mutable. UGA 2013 remember was basically a lot of run and shoot passing. AND WE LOST because we relied on throwing the ball on early downs to get gains. This lead to a very costly vad lee interception that set up the tying score to send us to overtime. We had to abandon option routes as well that year. Since vad couldn't read them. That meant that playcalling went from Spread 776 to Spread 7 X go y Post Z drag. Because of the lack of option route concepts it also killed some of our protections because if you take a play that is a 3 man route like most of our playside pass concepts out of base and remove the option routes and you need the A -back to stay into pick up a 7 man blitz. The Receiver needs to be able to read the likely cover 3 and pull up the route. Vad would throw into triple coverage.

I think that was part of my point. What's starts off as a package, grows. In terms of the RnS, that's also part of my point. It's very rare to have a QB come in and read the full field. QBs adjust over time and develop over time. Remember, Vad was in the system for 2 years before 2013, but a LOT of that time was devoted to the option run game. Vad even brought it up before he left that the understanding was the passing side of the offense (RnS) would grow over time. Instead, CPJ was angry that the team wasn't running "his triple option offense" correctly and double down on the option side of the offense. CPJ's team, he can do what he wants...but that was the point of the post: Did CPJ worry too much about the short term personally, and not look at the long term of the program?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
In 93 my sons hs team ran the air raid, the power I, the TO. We probably werent deep in the play book and weren't perfect but the defenses were totally confused. Made it 13-0.

What if the back up practiced some more pass friendly variation that's different than our base. ? He could come in when we are down 15 w 1 quarter to go.

We need to mix it up. The 2 year starter qb has trouble reading the EVER MORE DISGUISED defenses.

I alluded to something like this in another thread. CPJ was two vaunted offenses that make up his Flex offense: RnS, and Spread Option ("3O offense"). Each one taken on their own is devastating as we've seen multiple teams run the RnS and us run the spread option. Each offense on their own works. What if CPJ flips the script and goes RnS heavy, but uses the spread option portion to complement the RnS. We don't need to run 10 variations of each spread option play, how about master 3 variations of each run play, and get more practice intensive with the RnS. Expand as the season goes (like we do with our run offense), and expand as you groom each set of skill players.

GSOJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Threads like this on various Tech forums are largely an exercise in fantasy. A good fit for Tech (e.g., Kiffin - really??) and at the same time 'want' vs. 'able to get and retain'..... I do not envy Stansbury the task of finding a (better??) replacement for Paul Johnson when the time comes.

orange14

Jolly Good Fellow
Collins is probably the most realistic choice. He's from Atlanta, he's been a GA, coach, and Player Personnel guy at Tech. Successful DC at Mississippi State and Florida. Hopefully he has success at Temple which is a tough academic school to show he can do it. My big knock on him is the "swag chalice" and "SWAG Coordinator" stuff. I think recruiting players with that angle isn't going to work in the long run because I think it will be hard retaining kids when you pitch them "swag" and then they get hit with the reality of Tech. Hopefully he just does that crap because it works for the situations he's in and he can adapt to what works here.
Temple is Not a tough academic school!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
I'm actually pretty disappointed the thread I posted this in was merged into this thread. The other thread had a poll that I would have been interested in seeing the results of.
When the time comes that Paul Johnson is let go or retires either in December or December 2019 i believe the Swarm Message Board will be extremely divided just like the Volnation Message Board was following the Botch Jones firing and the chaos that followed.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
When the time comes that Paul Johnson is let go or retires either in December or December 2019 i believe the Swarm Message Board will be extremely divided just like the Volnation Message Board was following the Botch Jones firing and the chaos that followed.
The only thing we GT fans can seem to agree on is our hatred for UGA and how we take our whiskey.

Side tangent, I just found out Alabama hired Butch Jones to be an offensive analyst. I can't imagine Tech ever having the ability to hire an ex P5 head coach to be an analyst.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
The only thing we GT fans can seem to agree on is our hatred for UGA and how we take our whiskey.

Side tangent, I just found out Alabama hired Butch Jones to be an offensive analyst. I can't imagine Tech ever having the pockets deep enough to hire an ex P5 head coach to be an analyst.
He's one of the highest paid gofers around he gets 40,000 dollars from Alabama while he's getting paid 12 million by Tennessee:LOL:

alagold

Helluva Engineer
It is now official: My wife, a wonderfully positive counterweight to my pessimistic, masochistic relationship with Tech football, has dropped the mic. Despite going with me to Tech games for more than 40 years, she never seemed to know much about football, in general, and Tech football, in particular. Today, she asked me what time Tech was going to lose and, when I told her we had a bye, she smiled and seemed genuinely relieved. Then, she said she couldn't believe Tech extended the coach’s contract (I don’t think she knows his name) and commented that Tech really needed another coach and a different offense. I wonder what else she knows that I thought was getting past her...

yep--From the mouth of "babes" (or in this case -babe)

Status
Not open for further replies.