Paul Johnson time frame.

What gets CPJ fired or encouraged to resign?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
As for changing the offense, yea we did that for Vad Lee....how'd that work out

Got us our best win of the season before we scrapped it for no real reason to run back our normal offense which proceeded to get our QB killed time and time again. This would have been a valid point if we had actually committed to changing things up for more than a game or two.

Our offense is fine, with the exception being that TQM really can't throw. Then you say well replace him....yea right...a guy who was voted unanimous team captain prior to the season.....so you want the locker room in a revolt....like the Bill Lewis years.

If our team is in such a bad place that we can't replace a QB who can't do what is required without revolting, then that is even more reason to get rid of Johnson. Of course I don't particularly believe that and think people are far too afraid of the mythical team rebellion that almost never happens.

Got us our best win of the season before we scrapped it for no real reason to run back our normal offense which proceeded to get our QB killed time and time again. This would have been a valid point if we had actually committed to changing things up for more than a game or two.

If our team is in such a bad place that we can't replace a QB who can't do what is required without revolting, then that is even more reason to get rid of Johnson. Of course I don't particularly believe that and think people are far too afraid of the mythical team rebellion that almost never happens.

Yes, CPJ got away from his 2013 experiment, and in 2014 went back to his traditional offense....and how did that work out...oh yea 11-3 and an Orange bowl. As for the team revolt thing, where you around in 1993 and 1994? Well it did happen.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Yes, CPJ got away from his 2013 experiment, and in 2014 went back to his traditional offense....and how did that work out...oh yea 11-3 and an Orange bowl. As for the team revolt thing, where you around in 1993 and 1994? Well it did happen.

He abandoned it mid year in 2013 and we proceeded to start losing. Also tell me what offense we were running in 2015 and how'd that work out.

As far as what happened 25 years ago... yeah that just makes my point. 25 years ago, and the coach it happened to was the worst coach we have ever had. If your team is more loyal to a starter who isn't getting it done then to you, well you deserve to be fired.

He abandoned it mid year in 2013 and we proceeded to start losing. Also tell me what offense we were running in 2015 and how'd that work out.

As far as what happened 25 years ago... yeah that just makes my point. 25 years ago, and the coach it happened to was the worst coach we have ever had. If your team is more loyal to a starter who isn't getting it done then to you, well you deserve to be fired.
Um in 2013, when he Quote abandoned the change, we went 4-3. Won 3 in a row. As far as team loyalty, Coaching has less to do with a team winning than the leaders on that team. When the players buy in you generally start winning.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
We still ran those formations all of 2013 the only thing he abandoned was the diamond because it stopped working.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Um in 2013, when he Quote abandoned the change, we went 4-3. Won 3 in a row. As far as team loyalty, Coaching has less to do with a team winning than the leaders on that team. When the players buy in you generally start winning.

No, we beat duke and he pretty much abandoned it the following weak week. We nominally used it the next week against UNC and won, didn't use it at all against VT and lost, and against Miami we used it marginally to about the same effect as the base stuff and that was the last time we use the new stuff for more than a token play all year. Also those 3 in a row we won against two of the worst teams in the conference. By far our best win of the year was against Duke primarily out of the diamond, and we abandoned it not because it stopped working. We just stopped using it. Even if rattling off 3 in a row against teams that went a combined 7-17 in conference meant something, there was no reason to think we wouldn't have also won those games out of the gun.

We still ran those formations all of 2013 the only thing he abandoned was the diamond because it stopped working.

That was the story pushed the next couple of years but it wasn't the actual case. At the time I went back and counted how many plays we ran from the diamond in each game. After the Duke game the only time we ran it more than, I want to say it was 4, times in a game was against miami, and against miami we had a better ypp out of that formation than our base. Basically him going away from it because it stopped working would be like him never calling another dive because the first 2 got us 2 and 3 yards. Johnson just wasn't committed to actually changing the offense.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
No, we beat duke and he pretty much abandoned it the following weak week. We nominally used it the next week against UNC and won, didn't use it at all against VT and lost, and against Miami we used it marginally to about the same effect as the base stuff and that was the last time we use the new stuff for more than a token play all year. Also those 3 in a row we won against two of the worst teams in the conference. By far our best win of the year was against Duke primarily out of the diamond, and we abandoned it not because it stopped working. We just stopped using it. Even if rattling off 3 in a row against teams that went a combined 7-17 in conference meant something, there was no reason to think we wouldn't have also won those games out of the gun.

That was the story pushed the next couple of years but it wasn't the actual case. At the time I went back and counted how many plays we ran from the diamond in each game. After the Duke game the only time we ran it more than, I want to say it was 4, times in a game was against miami, and against miami we had a better ypp out of that formation than our base. Basically him going away from it because it stopped working would be like him never calling another dive because the first 2 got us 2 and 3 yards. Johnson just wasn't committed to actually changing the offense.
I don't think he felt like he could call plays that he was comfortable with. We have never had a TE with him and that is a valuable position for passing. He probably felt that he had better play calls with his O based on the D formations than the diamond. Who knows how good it looked in practice.

Another interesting comment from the 10/20 post practice presser. A reporter asked about the loss of Lucas Johnson and how that could have made a few things different. CPJ stated back that the loss of Kirvonte was the biggest blow. He said older stronger more experienced guy. The CPJ offense really relies on the QB and the Bback. Mason and Howard seem to need to grow some. And add to this and the point about players staying in a system. If things had worked right, Our starting QB right now would be Mathew Jordan and our co-starting B-backs would have been Marcus Marshall and Dedrick Mills. KB might have been playing at A-back. Think that would have been a potent combination.

gtkevin12

Jolly Good Fellow
After watching the Chiefs play tonight, I think it's time for GT to make a move. Tstan should throw a solid $1 million, maybe $1.5 million, at Andy Reid. GT has a much richer tradition than Kansas City, and Atlanta is obviously a much nicer place to live, so I can't imagine him not giving GT serious consideration. Also, he has to be bored out of his mind blowing out everyone in the NFL, and is probably looking for his next "project". I'm surprised nobody else has mentioned him yet!!

JStewart2227

Jolly Good Fellow
If CPJ ends up being let go I would just like to know who the majority of the people want. The names listed are names I’ve seen float around. If you think someone else, reply with who you would want.

JStewart2227

Jolly Good Fellow
I'd say Brent Key just for his recruiting. What we need is a RECRUITER
That’s my pick as well for the same reason. Someone that can be a great coach but that knows how to recruit and going to be able to keep the great talent that the state of Georgia puts out, at home.

Another great choice for both reasons I think could be Aranda, Great DC. A name I didn’t list that is known for his Recruiting is Tee Martin.

If we look at smaller schools I think the choice would be Satterfield and keep on Woody. The other names I’ve seen thrown out there at bigger schools I don’t think would come like miles and kiffin and i don’t think Venables leaves Clemson.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

You know, I was thinking about this the other day. The repercussions of the 2013 and 2014 season.

Obviously, all speculation, but look at our schedule for 2013. Outside of 2 games (Clemson & BYU...btw, BYU was not as close as the score looks now) we were pretty competitive that year. We should have beaten UGA that year as well. We could have easily ended up 10-3 or 9-4 that season, but we ended the season at 7-6.

I believe we abandoned the "new" offensive schemes right after the VT game (which we lost 17-10...but it felt like we did squat on offense that night). Up till then we were undefeated, but CPJ decided to back to what he was comfortable with, which was his option heavy offense. The "what if" that keeps playing in my head is this: What if CPJ looked at the long view that year, bit the bullet and stuck it out with the new schemes? Had an entire year's worth of film to sell to recruits, and Vad stays. Work on adding more adjustments and wrinkles the following years. People forget, but that was Vad's first year as a starter after getting maybe 25-30% of the snaps in 2012. We saw glimpses of what Vad could become against UNC in 2012, Duke in 2013, UGA in 2013. Much in the same way we understand CNW's defense will go through growing pains, maybe we take some lumps in 2013, and possibly not have quite the year in 2014 we did, but still a very good year, but a GREAT year in 2015 when Vad is a senior and JeT is a JR, and a GREAT 2016 when JeT is a senior? (BTW, as "bad" as we remember 2013 being offensively, we still ended up 39 in OFEI). The long view here is that CPJ is willing to stick with the "new" offense that attracts better recruits who want to play in a more wide open offense, and the narrative of GT is different now. It's possible the majority of the roster on the offensive side of the ball could be different right now had CPJ stuck to what he originally intended with Vad...who BTW, went on to be one of the biggest offensive weapons at James Madison, which was obviously playing in a lower tier.

Did the success of 2014 make CPJ even more stubborn about his system and the program? What we do know is that 2014 was a great season (for GT standards) and 2016 was a very good year. But we also know that 2015 was a dud, 2017 was a dud, and 2018 isn't looking so bright, and the state of our program is heading in the wrong direction. It's possible CPJ may not survive to see 2019, and if he repeats this performance next season, there's a 99% chance he probably doesn't finish 2019. If we don't make a bowl game this season, and it's looking that way, we will have missed a bowl game 3 out of 4 years, and have a losing record 3 out of the last 5 years.

Obviously a LOT of "what ifs" and speculations going on here, but it certainly will be one of the bigger "what ifs" in GT history after CPJ's story has been written.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
You know, I was thinking about this the other day. The repercussions of the 2013 and 2014 season.
(cutting for spacing)
Obviously a LOT of "what ifs" and speculations going on here, but it certainly will be one of the bigger "what ifs" in GT history after CPJ's story has been written.

I think the main problem with the 2013 offense was more a matter of practice time put in. Against people that we were much better than. ( Duke, Elon) It looked great. But we really didn't have a ton. I think it was always supposed to be a package thing. Something to add to the offense that year in a step toward modernizing it. The thing was we still needed our base playbook to work and vad did not buy into it. Against teams with a lot more talent than we have the new offense was at a severe disadvantage. It was less mutable. UGA 2013 remember was basically a lot of run and shoot passing. AND WE LOST because we relied on throwing the ball on early downs to get gains. This lead to a very costly vad lee interception that set up the tying score to send us to overtime. We had to abandon option routes as well that year. Since vad couldn't read them. That meant that playcalling went from Spread 776 to Spread 7 X go y Post Z drag. Because of the lack of option route concepts it also killed some of our protections because if you take a play that is a 3 man route like most of our playside pass concepts out of base and remove the option routes and you need the A -back to stay into pick up a 7 man blitz. The Receiver needs to be able to read the likely cover 3 and pull up the route. Vad would throw into triple coverage.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Tech isn’t going to end CPJ’s run by firing him. TStan has already said the purpose of the extension was to keep him engaged and assist in the transition.

We need someone to bring “excitement” to the Flats. I’m not in favor of technocrat coaches ... we need a brilliant mind but also someone who can make Saturday’s fun while winning. Of all those listed, I like Kiffin.

But, I think we’ll hire a MAC like coach. Safe. Boring. And totally forgettable.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Scott Satterfield the head coach of #25 Appalachian State and soon to be canned Auburn head coach Gus Malzahn would be great head coaching hires for Todd Stansbury:cigar:

I don't like names like Malzahn or Charley Strong. If you can't make it work at schools like Auburn or Texas, how can you possibly make it work at GT? yes, Cutcliffe got canned at Ole Miss and he is doing good things at Duke. But I don't think Duke is our benchmark. Or at least I hope it isn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.