Paul Johnson time frame.

What gets CPJ fired or encouraged to resign?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 2897

If you read my post, our recruiting doesn't appear to have some great drop off or anything. It's pretty much exactly the same as it's been in 15 years both by GT's standards and in comparison to other programs in our division. So this idea that worse spending = worse results in recruiting, thus worse play on the field doesn't make sense to me. Lack of coaching fundamental football by our coaching staff makes more sense...but that's just one man's opinion backed up by data.

Here is our recruiting ranking history in the ACC per Rivals.
2018: 9/14
2017: 8/14
2016: 13/14
2015: 8/14
2014: 11/14
2013: 13/14
2012: 10/12
2011: 8/12
2010: 8/12
2009: 8/12
2008: 9/12
2007: 3/12
2006: 11/12
2005: 11/12
2004: 9/11
2003: 6/8
2002: 8/10

I think your entire statement is wrong, backed up by the data. :) . Here's what I mean. Well, there's the data. We're all out here demanding that our team somehow finish way above average despite spending at the very bottom. Based on what? In the 50 years before CPJ, we won 8 games about once every 10 years. Now we're doing it about once every 2.5 years. That's a pretty large improvement. We play an extra about 1 game per year now, and 2018 will likely be another non 8-win season, so those numbers would be a bit closer. But this entire argument that somehow we're supposed to be able to overcome all these shortcomings just seems weird. You think we should take recruits ranked in the bottom 20% of the conference and somehow be able to 'coach them up'?

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
I have read comments on this forum that allude to CPJ’s offense during his time at Hawaii. How did that offense differ from the current system and why does he use the current system instead of his former one?

Great question. When I think of Hawaii’s offense, I think of June Jones’ offense which probably ran the ball about as often as we pass it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
If you want to be a respected AD you don't interview other Coaches unless you have talked to the present Head Coach and you know he has plans to leave . Any good Head Coach ( other than someone like Bobby Petrino) would not take a job or interview for a job that still has a Head Coach.
No :poop: :poop:. I still think Paul Johnson will retire or be let go the week of the UGAG game or shortly afterwards.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Great question. When I think of Hawaii’s offense, I think of June Jones’ offense which probably ran the ball about as often as we pass it.

All of what he ran at Hawaii is out there. A lot of run & gun but based in a solid run game. He refined it further at Southern and Navy. He has gotten away from the open passing for a couple of reasons (1) he has always felt that under 7 yards the O can pick it up running and (2) he hasn't had a true dual threat QB at Tech with JT being the closest. I think that why he was so upset when LJ went done before the season.

grandpa jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Haven't you heard? It is no longer about developing young men and getting an education, its a "process", a business, any number of things except what it should be: a sport played by young men who are amateur student athletes and thus they will remain for the most part even though many of them harbor dreams of riches and stardom that are fed to them by unscrupulous agents, bag men, and the like.
Well, if we cant keep up with the Joneses then move to a lower division. I for one am in it to win it.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
All of what he ran at Hawaii is out there. A lot of run & gun but based in a solid run game. He refined it further at Southern and Navy. He has gotten away from the open passing for a couple of reasons (1) he has always felt that under 7 yards the O can pick it up running and (2) he hasn't had a true dual threat QB at Tech with JT being the closest. I think that why he was so upset when LJ went done before the season.
June would still be a great offensive coordinator

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
It is a problem that needs to be fixed regardless of the coach. If we bring in a new coach with: the lowest assistant coaching salary to work with, the bottom of the ACC in recruiting staff, near the bottom in support staff, etc.. : do you expect that coach to be successful? It isn't simply "give CPJ an excuse", it is also get the program in at least the same zip code as the rest of the conference.

If we were to bring in a new coach, we would be extremely limited on our choices due to the budget for a head coach salary. This would be yet another area we cant keep up with. Then there would be even less money for assistants. The odds are very high that we would end up with a big step down from what we currently have for a coach and run the risk B*** L**** territory again.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
If you want to be a respected AD you don't interview other Coaches unless you have talked to the present Head Coach and you know he has plans to leave . Any good Head Coach ( other than someone like Bobby Petrino) would not take a job or interview for a job that still has a Head Coach.
You call some of the guys you might be interested in and ask if they know of any coaches that might consider an opening at GT. That keeps it on the up and up but you find out if they have any interest in the job. Happens in industry all the time.

Deleted member 2897

Wasn't that one of the big selling points of CPJ?

Do you really think that? His system is designed to reduce the disparity not eliminate it, LOL.

Given the fact we've won the Coastal 3x, the ACC 1x, 2 Orange Bowls, and won 8 games at 4x the frequency as the previous 50 years before him, I'd say it worked at least partly. I mean, look at his record against uGA, Clemson, Virginia Tech, and Florida State. Now the problem is that strangely that record is about the same as against UNCheat, Duke, Virginia, and Pitt. I don't know anybody that has ever said his system

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Part of the excitement of playing big boy football are the teams you play, not just your team. I’m not sure I could ever adjust to playing the Alcorn States and the Austin Peays of the FCS every week.

Bobby Dodd Stadium would be empty if GT went to the American Athletic Conference and were playing teams like Tulane,Memphis,Temple,Navy,SMU and Cincinnati.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
No :poop: :poop:. I still think Paul Johnson will retire or be let go the week of the UGAG game or shortly afterwards.
I still not sure he will retire I don't see him being fired he has done what Tech wants , They just don't care about winning. I still like him but I also think it's time for him to retire. IMO if Tech doesn't chance the way they think about football it's not going to matter who is the Coach.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
With that thought process half the schools in the ACC should move to a lower divisions and many other schools outside the ACC. We're not the only school in the Acc that is struggling or constantly faces mediocrity.
Louisville, BC come to mind

When everyone starts to realize that it's not just the coach that makes us a good team then we can get somewhere. Hiring a new coach is like a bandaid right now. If we're going to be serious about improving the program we need to improve all aspects from top to bottom. GT will stay in the Acc but continue to be mediocre and only compete with the bottom tier school unless we put in what we want to compete with. CPJ can field a Top 10 team, we have seen that, but thats not going to be an every year thing with our limitations . 10 years ago I believe if we had the resources he could have done it more , not I'm just not sure if he as a coach can do it or if the resources he needs will actually make a difference

Well, if we cant keep up with the Joneses then move to a lower division. I for one am in it to win it.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
If you read my post, our recruiting doesn't appear to have some great drop off or anything. It's pretty much exactly the same as it's been in 15 years both by GT's standards and in comparison to other programs in our division. So this idea that worse spending = worse results in recruiting, thus worse play on the field doesn't make sense to me. Lack of coaching fundamental football by our coaching staff makes more sense...but that's just one man's opinion backed up by data.

I wasn't replying to your specific post, and you are correct if we are only correlating spending to recruiting. My assertion is that with increased spending we can afford more and better staff assistants, better assistant coaches and coordinators, and more and better recruiting staff. Now, while the lack of spending hasn't caused our recruiting to spiral downward from previous averages, it also hasn't allowed for us to improve in that arena. Having more and better assistants to develop players cost money, and that's a direct response to the second part of your assertion.

In reality, if we increased our spending on football today by 25%, we'd still be behind Duke. I realize we can't spend the cash that the factories do, but surely we can move ourselves into the top 30-40 or so.

So I stand by my assertion. Until we commit to spending more, we cannot reasonably expect to be any more competitive than we already are.

Status
Not open for further replies.