Paul Johnson time frame.

What gets CPJ fired or encouraged to resign?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
First Mike I like you am not picking on you :) . Think about this your the AD you have a Head Coach you didn't hire but the School is happy with him because he graduates players and does not brake the rules. Now you know you need to hire a new Head Coach and that is going to be your man ( Your statement ) the one you are putting your job on, What do you do ? You know there are other things you want to do first to help recruiting. Would you really want your name on Lane Kiffin and his past ?

Paul Finebaum said Kiffin would take the Auburn job for free.

Look, our program needs EXCITEMENT... not safety. Hire Lane on a 3 yr contract. With a morals clause. He would be a boon in many ways we need. Ask UT. They will say this ... Questionable? Yes. But he sure was fun.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
It's all players and coaches in the end, right?

Let me ask you guys this...if we had twice the budget do you think we would have different faces on our coaching staff with the same head coach? I'm not so sure...

Would our talent be significantly better? I'm not so sure...

Look I get we need the money, but money isn't the only problem here. I think for whatever our coach is having some serious problems getting results out of players that are good enough to compete in this division.
Well it’s been reported many times we would have had or have now different coaches if it wasn’t for the money issue. We would also have better players more than likely with better resources. You say the talent level is enough to compete in our conference yet most teams recruit (according to the services) better than we do.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
And that's the tricky part, even if we win out including uga. Do you all think that's enough to regain the fans ? Or have most made up their mind on CPJ?
Tstan has put a lot of faith in CPJ and wants to give him the resources he needs, but ultimately the product on the field is worth more than just assurances to the fan base. Building hype over and over only to disappoint is not a way to bring people in. All that can and needs to be done behind the scenes will determine the product and if the fans return
If he's around in 2019 the attendance at BDS could get really ugly.........................................just sayin';)

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer

Look, our program needs EXCITEMENT... not safety. Hire Lane on a 3 yr contract. With a morals clause. He would be a boon in many ways we need. Ask UT. They will say this ... Questionable? Yes. But he sure was fun.
I agree GT needs a head coach that will get GT noticed Nationally and be on ESPN regularly and have big articles in Newspapers and Magazines like Sports Illustrated. Lane Kiffin would be the guy to do it. He's got risks associated with him(questionable recruiting)but i think GT has to roll the dice.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
And that's the tricky part, even if we win out including uga. Do you all think that's enough to regain the fans ? Or have most made up their mind on CPJ?
Tstan has put a lot of faith in CPJ and wants to give him the resources he needs, but ultimately the product on the field is worth more than just assurances to the fan base. Building hype over and over only to disappoint is not a way to bring people in. All that can and needs to be done behind the scenes will determine the product and if the fans return

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
5-7 with a win over UGAG still wouldn't be good enough for me;)

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Spending more on Per Player money will not improve the recruiting generated by our predictable, deciphered, boring 65-rush-plays/game offense. We aren't losing to Duke and Pitt now because of facilities spending, etc. It's a load of crap being spun by those who wish to keep our team in the mid 20th century.
This is an opinion, not a fact. Do you really think kids want to come and choose from just a handful of majors, wear Russell, have a locker room from the early 2000’s, and a sub par weight room while the other schools showing interest have the top of the line weight room, better uniforms, better locker rooms, more degree options without calculus. Which would you pick if you were being recruited for a job and one of the offers was just light years better? Btw I used the locker room and uniform in my argument because those are new and we have t had them long enough to really affect recruiting imo.

Lawyer mark

Jolly Good Fellow
If he won out or close to it with playing Oliver or graham as qb’s then I am in. If we are betraying in a new qb next year and no changes then I want him gone. Oliver should start some and graham needs to play a bunch in 3 more games... let’s see what the future looks like

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
This is an opinion, not a fact. Do you really think kids want to come and choose from just a handful of majors, wear Russell, have a locker room from the early 2000’s, and a sub par weight room while the other schools showing interest have the top of the line weight room, better uniforms, better locker rooms, more degree options without calculus. Which would you pick if you were being recruited for a job and one of the offers was just light years better? Btw I used the locker room and uniform in my argument because those are new and we have t had them long enough to really affect recruiting imo.

The offense hurts recruiting just as much if not more. More imo. GT is selling kids everything outside of football right now.

Milwaukee

Banned
This seems like a good spot to remind ourselves there are other people in this boat with us.

https://www.allongeorgia.com/muscog...will-happen-if-falwells-prayers-are-answered/

Hell, Penn State fans are crying our same cries about not having enough resources to keep up with the competition. Penn State. Think about that for a second. At some point you have to put it on the coaches, even though the numbers are what they are. In 2014 the people crying right this second weren't crying. This is pretty simple unless you have an agenda as anti PJ or pro PJ. I'm pro PJ and I even realize that he's failing at his job; the people who can't realize that really aren't worth listening to imo. If it's not resources it's injuries, snakebitten, rain, DC's, etc etc. I'm calling it like it is, and even having said all that I want PJ here until he retires.

Deleted member 2897

Hell, Penn State fans are crying our same cries about not having enough resources to keep up with the competition. Penn State. Think about that for a second. At some point you have to put it on the coaches, even though the numbers are what they are. In 2014 the people crying right this second weren't crying. This is pretty simple unless you have an agenda as anti PJ or pro PJ. I'm pro PJ and I even realize that he's failing at his job; the people who can't realize that really aren't worth listening to imo. If it's not resources it's injuries, snakebitten, rain, DC's, etc etc. I'm calling it like it is, and even having said all that I want PJ here until he retires.

Different thread.

RiseUpATL

Banned
Bikeseat, would you agree GT is way behind in resources compared to other schools? And if so in your opinion, does it affect the program and recruiting?

You can ask this and he can say yes, but the numbers do not support this. It doesn't matter. Under O'Leary, Gailey, PJ, the recruiting is at the same exact level as it's always been. Those era's had different AD's and they were at times where we were "more competitive" from a money perspective with other programs.

We have been competitive in many of our games the last few years that we have suffered this losing streak. Most of the losses are less than 1 touchdown or where we had leads in the 4 quarter. Rarely are we blown out. It's coaching guys. It just is. I know most of you like PJ and I certainly did support him as well, but I cannot ignore the fundamental errors occurring on the football field and try to blame it on things other than coaching. If you think lack of money and facilities is causing these losses and refuse to objectively ask yourself why we losing football games then I can't debate the issue with you. It's right there in front of you, but some refuse to acknowledge and accept it.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
The offense hurts recruiting just as much if not more. More imo. GT is selling kids everything outside of football right now.
I agree it can hurt but I still think those other things are bigger issues. Imo if we had better resources we could land 2 or 3 more studs per class and that could make a major difference imo. Also offense generally isn’t the issue.

RiseUpATL

Banned
I agree it can hurt but I still think those other things are bigger issues. Imo if we had better resources we could land 2 or 3 more studs per class and that could make a major difference imo. Also offense generally isn’t the issue.

Let me ask you this. What resources do you think will help us land these mystery recruits? We now have state of the art brand new locker rooms and an indoor practice facility. There are many major programs out there that do not have such. Miami has not indoor practice field and UGA's "half field" is a joke (though they are building one now I believe). UGA just got new locker rooms this year, same as us.

You think a recruit cares that we have 2-3 more assistants on staff? No...they don't. The elite kids care about one ultimate thing and that's prep for the NFL. I'll bet if you polled elite recruits their top three selling point are probably 1. NFL prep, 2. facilities, 3. coaches. We run a system that does not prepare guys for the NFL on offense and our defense also suffers because they have to practice against it. And let's face it. Our coaches have done a poor job developing players and the last 3 drafts show this.

stech81

Helluva Engineer

I'm not saying he is not a good coach but do you really see the president of Georgia Tech and the hill going along with that hire? If you are the AD Is he really the one you want as your signature hire? I know publicity is good but I don't see bad publicity being good for Tech. I could be wrong I have been in the past.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
I'm not saying he is not a good coach but do you really see the president of Georgia Tech and the hill going along with that hire? If you are the AD Is he really the one you want as your signature hire? I know publicity is good but I don't see bad publicity being good for Tech. I could be wrong I have been in the past.
I think the bigwigs up on the Hill would probably be more likely to approve of the hiring of Gus Malzahn than the hiring of Lane Kiffin;)

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
You can ask this and he can say yes, but the numbers do not support this. It doesn't matter. Under O'Leary, Gailey, PJ, the recruiting is at the same exact level as it's always been. Those era's had different AD's and they were at times where we were "more competitive" from a money perspective with other programs.

We have been competitive in many of our games the last few years that we have suffered this losing streak. Most of the losses are less than 1 touchdown or where we had leads in the 4 quarter. Rarely are we blown out. It's coaching guys. It just is. I know most of you like PJ and I certainly did support him as well, but I cannot ignore the fundamental errors occurring on the football field and try to blame it on things other than coaching. If you think lack of money and facilities is causing these losses and refuse to objectively ask yourself why we losing football games then I can't debate the issue with you. It's right there in front of you, but some refuse to acknowledge and accept it.
Ok, so first our recruiting is not the same as under those other coaches. 2nd we are way behind in resources compared to other programs, this was not the case under those other coaches. If you look at a constant theme, the more we have fallen behind in resources the more games we have started to lose. You act as what you are saying is a fact, yet you have no hard evidence for it, that’s called an opinion. You are choosing to not acknowledge that resources do matter. It’s funny, because I’m kind of in the middle, you have those who say it’s all coach and those who say it’s not coach at all, or at least that’s how it comes across. What I can’t seem to understand though is this, the ones who blame CPJ for pretty much all of it and say it’s coaching have literally no facts, it’s just opinions. At least the other side can show proff that teams who spend more and have better resources generally do better. I think blame is on both sides, CPJ could change things up imo, but the program could help him out in allowing him to have better resources to help succeed such as better staffing and more of it. I actually think I’m one of the few that’s in the middle of this.

Let me ask you a question though, I’ve asked this a lot to those who only blame CPJ but every time I ask it gets ignored. I’ll give the short version. Let’s say you are a manager of a sales company, is it fair for your boss to want you to match a competitor company in sales when they have double the sales guys, more money, and nicer product?

GT_05

Helluva Engineer

I don’t think we would ever hire Kiffin. I have the impression that The Hill would rather go 0-12 with a “do no harm to our reputation” type coach than 12-0 with a wild card like Kiffin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
I don’t think we would ever hire Kiffin. I have the impression that The Hill would rather go 0-12 with a “do no harm to our reputation” type coach than 12-0 with a wild card like Kiffin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GT would still get a lot of publicity with a well known head coach like Gus Malzahn and that would help recruiting.

Deleted member 2897

You're also conflating two different topics. 1 ACC Championship, 3 Coastal Championships, 2 Orange Bowls, winning 8+ games under CPJ at 4x the historical rate. Yes he's had a couple bad years now, but his overall history is still positive. Should we get rid of CPJ? Has his coaching gone stale or has he lost his edge? All fair topics. But that's a different topic of conversation than has our athletic department/AD caused our program (unintentionally) damage over the last several years. That answer to me is yes - we've fallen so far behind everyone else. What's the point of my post? It may be time to get a new coach, for several reasons. But there is a huge massive issue around investment levels in our program. If you are expecting to replace CPJ with someone else without addressing those other things...well.

Status
Not open for further replies.