Paul Johnson time frame.

What gets CPJ fired or encouraged to resign?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
I still not sure he will retire I don't see him being fired he has done what Tech wants , They just don't care about winning. I still like him but I also think it's time for him to retire. IMO if Tech doesn't chance the way they think about football it's not going to matter who is the Coach.
I think GT could use a colorful head coach like Lane Kiffin that would get GT regularly on ESPN and in big stories in newspapers and magazines. That would help in recruiting and make GT relevant very quickly.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I still not sure he will retire I don't see him being fired he has done what Tech wants , They just don't care about winning. I still like him but I also think it's time for him to retire. IMO if Tech doesn't chance the way they think about football it's not going to matter who is the Coach.
He might decide to go elsewhere to coach. Maybe even D2 level but there is always turnover and some school out there would take a chance on him.

Lawyer mark

Jolly Good Fellow
I could get behind another year of cpj if he hired an offensive coordinator or consultant to assist with some new additions to offense. If the offense becomes more efficient in passing and passes more, it will also improve recruiting...

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
With that thought process half the schools in the ACC should move to a lower divisions and many other schools outside the ACC. We're not the only school in the Acc that is struggling or constantly faces mediocrity.
Louisville, BC come to mind

When everyone starts to realize that it's not just the coach that makes us a good team then we can get somewhere. Hiring a new coach is like a bandaid right now. If we're going to be serious about improving the program we need to improve all aspects from top to bottom.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Louisville and BC would be better off in the AAC and so would Syracuse

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I know for a fact yes to your first question. We have basically been dead last in acc in asst coach spending. Or tied with wake etc. especially this 5-6 years ago. We have had a slight uptick the past year or two. This is one reason why paul has talked about, in the past, matching the program commitment with expectations.

Cpj has had to manage tech through the unprecedented arms race boom. This didn’t happen to this extent prior to cpj

As far as your second question. Not sure immediately, overtime if should if they are well known coaches. I think it may help in spots. But i do think his offense is a big recruiting barrier to overcome. Been saying that for 11 years as always my biggest concern with paul (and OL)

Your biggest concerns with CPJ are well documented....#1 Roof, #2 Sewak, # “3 a currrnt player getting pt.

With some slight improvements on D thus far you are shifting your focus a tad this year.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
Cpj will likely retire than go coach somewhere else . Thats our best case. But again , a new coach is not going to fix things at least not right away. The program has more issues than just our coach . Gotta fix things top to bottom

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Spending more on Per Player money will not improve the recruiting generated by our predictable, deciphered, boring 65-rush-plays/game offense. We aren't losing to Duke and Pitt now because of facilities spending, etc. It's a load of crap being spun by those who wish to keep our team in the mid 20th century.

Well...the load of crap has been found now...:D

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I could get behind another year of cpj if he hired an offensive coordinator or consultant to assist with some new additions to offense. If the offense becomes more efficient in passing and passes more, it will also improve recruiting...

Well if that is what you need to get behind him all I can say is you may want to get behind the next coach, I don't see him hiring someone to run his offense.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
So I stand by my assertion. Until we commit to spending more, we cannot reasonably expect to be any more competitive than we already are.

Even in the current situation, GT is competitive. Not winning as much as I would like. Even in 2015 with a 3-9 record all but three games were within one score.(Clemson, Miami, ND) I included ND even though it was 8 points because that score didn't really match the game. Also, in the Miami game the strip-sack touchdown late in the 2nd quarter was a game breaker. We played Miami well but made some very bad mistakes.(2 fumbles, 2 interceptions)

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I think GT could use a colorful head coach like Lane Kiffin that would get GT regularly on ESPN and in big stories in newspapers and magazines. That would help in recruiting and make GT relevant very quickly.
First Mike I like you am not picking on you :) . Think about this your the AD you have a Head Coach you didn't hire but the School is happy with him because he graduates players and does not brake the rules. Now you know you need to hire a new Head Coach and that is going to be your man ( Your statement ) the one you are putting your job on, What do you do ? You know there are other things you want to do first to help recruiting. Would you really want your name on Lane Kiffin and his past ?

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
First Mike I like you am not picking on you :) . Think about this your the AD you have a Head Coach you didn't hire but the School is happy with him because he graduates players and does not brake the rules. Now you know you need to hire a new Head Coach and that is going to be your man ( Your statement ) the one you are putting your job on, What do you do ? You know there are other things you want to do first to help recruiting. Would you really want your name on Lane Kiffin and his past ?
That's a great point you make stech81(y)TStan needs to get concessions from the bigwigs up on the hill;) The minus with Lane Kiffin as head coach would be his questionable recruiting that would probably cause the NCAA to investigate GT at some point.

Status
Not open for further replies.