Paul Johnson time frame.

What gets CPJ fired or encouraged to resign?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Milwaukee

Banned
My sister in law is a huge Auburn fan. She played on the very first Auburn softball team back in the early 1970s. Anyway, we were watching Auburn playing Tennessee and it was interesting to watch Gus' version of the spread option. He does a lot of interesting twists and plays that are not usually part of the zone read package for that offense. The thing about his offense is that it requires the quarterback to play at a very high level to be successful. The pressure on the quarterback from a mental standpoint must be huge. There is a lot of feast and famine with his offense and in that Tennessee game there was just way too much famine. Don't sleep on this team though, their defensive line is very good. D backs not so much. Tennessee's receivers were toying with them.

Malzahn and co. have bigger fish to fry. I can't find the link but Jordan Rodgers basically called them out today and pointed out EXTREME tendencies in their playcalling based off packages they trot out. It was stunning, actually. It hit such a nerve that the OC actually reached out to Rodgers and now there's some beef going on. Rodgers showed the entire world exactly what they do and when they do it, and stated that it's a big part of why Stidham is struggling...because every defense they play knows exactly what's coming before it happens. The numbers from his research are CRAZY, and they're even more crazy being that they're 100% accurate. I recommend you digging it up online, it's a fascinating read for any cfb fan.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
CPJ’s body is not even cold yet and you guys are pillaging through his footlocker...

Haven't you heard? It is no longer about developing young men and getting an education, its a "process", a business, any number of things except what it should be: a sport played by young men who are amateur student athletes and thus they will remain for the most part even though many of them harbor dreams of riches and stardom that are fed to them by unscrupulous agents, bag men, and the like.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Malzahn and co. have bigger fish to fry. I can't find the link but Jordan Rodgers basically called them out today and pointed out EXTREME tendencies in their playcalling based off packages they trot out. It was stunning, actually. It hit such a nerve that the OC actually reached out to Rodgers and now there's some beef going on. Rodgers showed the entire world exactly what they do and when they do it, and stated that it's a big part of why Stidham is struggling...because every defense they play knows exactly what's coming before it happens. The numbers from his research are CRAZY, and they're even more crazy being that they're 100% accurate. I recommend you digging it up online, it's a fascinating read for any cfb fan.

Nah, I don't believe it. Teams wouldn't cheat like that would they? "Extreme tendencies" you say... like knowing we are going to run the counter, the dive, the speed option, the inside veer, and that sort of thing. Well I never seen the like. Guess it may be a storm a brewing at the Loveliest Village on the Plains.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer

And this is the genius that pulls down 7 million a year? These coaches salaries are almost as crazy as the people who pay them.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
Yes, I have always been a 10-12 hour person myself (with some work on weekends), and our VP is a 120-140 hour a week guy - 7/24. I believe CPJ does work a lot of extra hours, but I don't believe he forgets he has a family during the season - like you said, mercenaries like sa(t)an are singularly focused, with everything else can "go to hades" in their minds. We can probably get one of those young whipper snappers for a few years, but if he has success, he is gone. I hate going through coach after coach after coach, but I do understand that our current performance is unacceptable.
140 hrs/week? Come on man. There are only 168 hours per week so ur VP getting only 4 hrs sleep/night and doing nothing else?

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

64jacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Whats the damn fear of losing Johnson, the team sucks. How many “we’ll get em next year” do you want to have? The program is a laughingstock in its own state and not a
thought nationally. Why wouldn’t you want more for your program?

The scheme DOES hurt recruiting. As a former educator and someone that continues to work with teens in youth sports it’s absolutely hurts recruiting.
Thank you ATL. 1 !!!

slugboy

Staff member
We desperately need help recruiting and I think he could be good for us in that area.

I’m at a loss. I think CPJ’s replacement would ideally be youngish, energetic, a good recruiter, personable, a proven winner, P-5 head coaching experience, AND would want the job for what we can pay. I really haven’t thought of many that check those boxes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think there's the base recruiting implicit to the school, or that's the heritage of the school, and there's the effect of the head coach and his staff. IMHO, Al Golden didn't dent Miami's recruiting, or if he did it was slightly below average. I think Randy Shannon out-recruited him, and Richt is definitely out-recruiting him.

Schnellenberger built a recruiting engine down there, and Johnson and Erickson kept it going. Johnson might have improved on what Schnellenberger did a little. Shannon picked up on that heritage and was in the same league. Miami has a few things going for it--the region, the commitment to athletics, (currently) Richt's recruiting talent, and the engine that Howard Schnellenberger built. While he was there, I think Golden was just a passenger on that train, rather than a conductor.

Denial.....not just a river in Egypt.
The fact remains, TECH spending in football WRT our competition has decreased. Of the public schools reporting.....only UVA spends less per player. Sure VT's spending increase is on par.....but they started and remain far ahead. You have your head buried deep if you think that spending 20-50K PER PLAYER less is going to keep Tech competitive.
It doesn't matter how many facts hit you over the head....you want to play only the HC, and will spin everything to advance your narrative.

Spending more on Per Player money will not improve the recruiting generated by our predictable, deciphered, boring 65-rush-plays/game offense. We aren't losing to Duke and Pitt now because of facilities spending, etc. It's a load of crap being spun by those who wish to keep our team in the mid 20th century.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Look I love Paul, but these conspiracy theories are stupid. He needs to be held accountable for what's happening on the field, I'm sorry if that shakes you up. According to those numbers in 2014 we had the lowest spending per player in the conference...how inconvenent.

It is a problem that needs to be fixed regardless of the coach. If we bring in a new coach with: the lowest assistant coaching salary to work with, the bottom of the ACC in recruiting staff, near the bottom in support staff, etc.. : do you expect that coach to be successful? It isn't simply "give CPJ an excuse", it is also get the program in at least the same zip code as the rest of the conference.

Deleted member 2897

Spending more on Per Player money will not improve the recruiting generated by our predictable, deciphered, boring 65-rush-plays/game offense. We aren't losing to Duke and Pitt now because of facilities spending, etc. It's a load of crap being spun by those who wish to keep our team in the mid 20th century.

Your unbridled hate of CPJ blinds you from reality. I love CPJ and appreciate what he has done for our program. But its also a business, and if he were fired tonight, I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

If you take an unbiased view similar to that, I don't think you can really tell yourself that a different coach hired a decade ago that ran a different offense would have somehow been able to get us double the spending from GT. Do you think our AD and Institute only decided to hold our spending down because they don't like CPJ's offense or his attitude? That would be a pretty amazing position to take. But that's the position you have to take for your point to be valid.

PTCjacket

Banned
If Lane Kiffin got GT playing great football he might leave for another school like Oklahoma in the future if they were looking for a head football coach. That wouldn't bother me because the program would be a lot better off than when he got here.

Yeah, I am over worrying about whether a coach is going to willingly leave us for green pastures. If they do, then that means they probably did a hell of a job while here! It's like the fans who say that they enjoy being the underdog team. The reason you are the underdog is probably because you haven't been consistently good. That's NOT a good thing. I'd rather be the favorite everyday of the week because that means we are winning.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
A coach with a run oriented pro style offense that incorporates a lot of RPO’s and read option concepts averaging around 20-25 passes per gamewould be perfect.

Key & Goose

RiseUpATL

Banned
IMO, we have sabotaged our football program. Maybe not intentionally, but the effect is the same. When we rank 61/65 on what we spend on football in the FBS, (Duke ranked 36th), then we've sabotaged our program. If we want to compete with the big boys, we have to pony up the money at some point. Until then, we can't complain that our pinto doesn't keep pace with the ferraris.

https://www.syracuse.com/orangefoot...ollege_football_where_does_syracuse_rank.html

If you read my post, our recruiting doesn't appear to have some great drop off or anything. It's pretty much exactly the same as it's been in 15 years both by GT's standards and in comparison to other programs in our division. So this idea that worse spending = worse results in recruiting, thus worse play on the field doesn't make sense to me. Lack of coaching fundamental football by our coaching staff makes more sense...but that's just one man's opinion backed up by data.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
If I were Todd Stansbury and i'm looking for a new head coach i would call him for an interview to gauge his interest in GT
If you want to be a respected AD you don't interview other Coaches unless you have talked to the present Head Coach and you know he has plans to leave . Any good Head Coach ( other than someone like Bobby Petrino) would not take a job or interview for a job that still has a Head Coach.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
I have read comments on this forum that allude to CPJ’s offense during his time at Hawaii. How did that offense differ from the current system and why does he use the current system instead of his former one?

Status
Not open for further replies.