Paul Johnson time frame.

What gets CPJ fired or encouraged to resign?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
Why would Mike Leach come here and rebuild a program, and going from the option to the most pure form of the air raid like he runs is going to be a complete rebuild. He's 57 and has Washington State winning again. 4 bowls in 5 years is huge for them considering they hadn't been to one in a decade before he got there. Pac-12 COTY a couple of years ago, College Gameday this weekend, he has them ranked pretty consistently. GT isn't a big enough job to pull a guy like that and Wazzu is probably a better job right now (thanks entirely to him).

Why would Mike Leach come here and rebuild a program, and going from the option to the most pure form of the air raid like he runs is going to be a complete rebuild. He's 57 and has Washington State winning again. 4 bowls in 5 years is huge for them considering they hadn't been to one in a decade before he got there. Pac-12 COTY a couple of years ago, College Gameday this weekend, he has them ranked pretty consistently. GT isn't a big enough job to pull a guy like that and Wazzu is probably a better job right now (thanks entirely to him).

no way. Without googling it, can anyone even find WaSt on the map?

Even with our restrictions, it's probably easier to recruit here. We're in a major metro city, a recruiting hotbed, and big TV market in the heartland of college football. WaSt is near stupid Canada, which is nothing but potheads, hockey, and angry mooses. Our fanbase has very low expectations so it's not like he'd be stressed out in the early rebuild years. If CPJ hadn't damn-near killed our program, we'd be having GameDays here too.

GT would be an upgrade for Leach. We've got tons of fast guys we can convert to WR and Graham is ready-made for Air Raid. Plus Woody is already here getting his Defense into place.

I hope we pull the trigger!

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer

Reportedly, UT went after him and he wasn't interested. At least UT has top 5 resources and a statewide and rabid (if totally deranged) fanbase. I agree, I don't any situation where a currently successful head coach comes to GT. What we will get is a) a formerly successful head coach who is not currently coaching (e.g., Les Miles), b) a strong OC/DC from a major conference like SEC or ACC, c) someone from the Johnson coaching tree, d) a MAC-like conference coach, or e) a complete nobody.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Reportedly, UT went after him and he wasn't interested. At least UT has top 5 resources and a statewide and rabid (if totally deranged) fanbase. I agree, I don't any situation where a currently successful head coach comes to GT. What we will get is a) a formerly successful head coach who is not currently coaching (e.g., Les Miles), b) a strong OC/DC from a major conference like SEC or ACC, c) someone from the Johnson coaching tree, d) a MAC-like conference coach, or e) a complete nobody.
Mike Leach was interested in coming to UT but the big money UT alum and Browns owner Jimmy Haslam didn't like his personality. This lead to Tennessee AD and Jimmy Haslam puppet John Currie being fired in a UT internal revolt and Phil Fulmer being hired as Tennessee AD.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Even with our restrictions, it's probably easier to recruit here. We're in a major metro city, a recruiting hotbed, and big TV market in the heartland of college football. WaSt is near stupid Canada, which is nothing but potheads, hockey, and angry mooses. Our fanbase has very low expectations so it's not like he'd be stressed out in the early rebuild years. If CPJ hadn't damn-near killed our program, we'd be having GameDays here too.

This is fun to debate ... so, ...

• It's probably easier to recruit here. We're in a major metro city, a recruiting hotbed. There are 15 major recruiting zones, and admittedly, Atlanta metro is one. But, we can't even been successful recruit in our own state for some time. Given the situation today with virtually everyone recruiting here now, I don't see that changing. We need to find 2 players in every major zone ... THAT is doable.
  • We are in big TV market in the heartland of college football. True. But Tech doesn't play enough games at the right times against the right opponents to get decent ratings. Playing Alcorn State at noon isn't a big ad seller.
  • Our fanbase has very low expectations so it's not like he'd be stressed out in the early rebuild years. I think he would be stressed out. No coach worth a damn wants to coach in near empty stadiums, playing kids who struggle to play complete games, and deal with the issues on resources. And I think our fan base has reached the breaking point ... if we don't start winning and the older STH's stop coming to the games, the program is going to take a major hit on BDS revenue.
Fun to debate. Who knows.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
He was interested in coming to UT but the big money UT alum and Browns owner Jimmy Haslam didn't like his personality. This lead to Tennessee AD John Currie being fired in a UT internal revolt and Phil Fulmer being hired as Tennessee AD.

Currie was dead man walking as soon as Schiano was pulled. He did a TERRIBLE job trying to fill the role starting off by having no slate ready when he pulled the plug on Butch. Jimmy personally picked Schiano and told Currie to sell it, which he couldn't. Fulmer was already on staff as a Special Advisor to Bev Davenport and waiting in the wings to bring the program back. UT is on the right track again, but gosh almighty ... what a long strange trip.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Currie was dead man walking as soon as Schiano was pulled. He did a TERRIBLE job trying to fill the role starting off by having no slate ready when he pulled the plug on Butch. Jimmy personally picked Schiano and told Currie to sell it, which he couldn't. Fulmer was already on staff as a Special Advisor to Bev Davenport and waiting in the wings to bring the program back. UT is on the right track again, but gosh almighty ... what a long strange trip.
No big money Alum should have the power Jimmy Haslam has at Tennessee;)(y)

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
No big money Alum should have the power Jimmy Haslam has at Tennessee

Totally agree. But the Haslams own the business school and pretty much get whatever they want. They are probably why Davenport got canned too. Very powerful guys who have made VERY bad decisions for UT football.

I think the reason UT will be back is they now have football guys running the AD department again, not MBA/sports management guys. Say what you want about Fulmer but he's loved, he won a Natty, and the fanbase adores him. He should have had the job ten years ago and they wouldn't be in this mess.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Totally agree. But the Haslams own the business school and pretty much get whatever they want. They are probably why Davenport got canned too. Very powerful guys who have made VERY bad decisions for UT football.

I think the reason UT will be back is they now have football guys running the AD department again, not MBA/sports management guys. Say what you want about Fulmer but he's loved, he won a Natty, and the fanbase adores him. He should have had the job ten years ago and they wouldn't be in this mess.
Jimmy Haslam got even with Beverly Davenport for firing his friend former Tennessee AD John Currie by getting her fired. It wouldn't shock me if he tries to get AD Phil Fulmer fired in the future.

This is fun to debate ... so, ...

• It's probably easier to recruit here. We're in a major metro city, a recruiting hotbed. There are 15 major recruiting zones, and admittedly, Atlanta metro is one. But, we can't even been successful recruit in our own state for some time. Given the situation today with virtually everyone recruiting here now, I don't see that changing. We need to find 2 players in every major zone ... THAT is doable.
  • We are in big TV market in the heartland of college football. True. But Tech doesn't play enough games at the right times against the right opponents to get decent ratings. Playing Alcorn State at noon isn't a big ad seller.
  • Our fanbase has very low expectations so it's not like he'd be stressed out in the early rebuild years. I think he would be stressed out. No coach worth a damn wants to coach in near empty stadiums, playing kids who struggle to play complete games, and deal with the issues on resources. And I think our fan base has reached the breaking point ... if we don't start winning and the older STH's stop coming to the games, the program is going to take a major hit on BDS revenue.
Fun to debate. Who knows.

All good points and agreed - fun to debate. Lemme give it a shot!

• Recruiting: I think a Leach-sort of style'd offense would open up recruiting more than CPJ's TO has. I personally believe (and the rankings back it) that the TO hasn't helped recruiting one bit and likely hurts it. We are hard enough to recruit to already - opening things up can only help. Yes, the Hill needs to pull the corncob out of its *** and make things easier too!
  • We don't play those types of games because, frankly, we stink. Plus we are boring to watch. A new regime and scheme and, most importantly, winning would help change that. I'm with you: Acorn St at noon is just stupid. If we have to play that, kickoff at 7pm. Not sure who we have to bribe to make that happen, as I'm sure CPJ is in agreement.
  • The near-empty stadiums might improve with wins and a more-exciting offense. No argument on the rest. TS will hopefully continue moving in the right direction concerning your points there.
Full disclosure: I don't think any of this will happen. I think CPJ gets 1 more year, doesn't change a thing, puts Graham under center and we completely bottom out in 2019.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
I like Leach, but I can't see him leaving Wazzou, he is making about $4mil a year and the PAC 12? is open for him to be in the mix for Rose Bowls at the moment. We couldnt offer him enough $$ to get his interest and he would have to deal with Klempson here and not there.
You have to be a brave AD to hire Mike Leach because you never know what he's going to say from minute to minute:cigar:

I like Leach, but I can't see him leaving Wazzou, he is making about $4mil a year and the PAC 12? is open for him to be in the mix for Rose Bowls at the moment. We couldnt offer him enough $$ to get his interest and he would have to deal with Klempson here and not there.

Hmmm....yeah, he would be stupid to leave that, agreed.

Status
Not open for further replies.