Paul Johnson time frame.

What gets CPJ fired or encouraged to resign?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
I've said before but my concerns with CPJ were if he could fix the issues and turn things around . Last night we played great, VTs D wasn't stellar but what I saw last night was a thing of beauty. I know many on here including me have said that we need to ditch the TO and or CPJ , but watching last night reminded me of why I love the TO so much. IF CPJ can ultimately get the offense to click like last night the the rest of the seasonn , get throwing dialed in and make sure our D shows up at the beginning of games we will be fine.
We have such a unique offense that when dialed in, is fun to watch and pretty lethal .

I know there are many that are over CPJ and this offense , but really why should we switch to a scheme that just about every other team runs.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I know there are many that are over CPJ and this offense , but really why should we switch to a scheme that just about every other team runs.

Fuentes even said that. "We play ten other teams and this is the only TO team we play. If we played the TO every week, we'd be ready. But we don't. It's unique."

So, WHEN IT WORKS ... it's a big competitive advantage for us.

Having said that, CPJ has all but guaranteed he'll be here another year. "We're close ...", says the Man.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
Exactly it's all but a gamble. We win out, cpj likrly stays. We lose out it's a toss up.

But I think the key here is can CPJ keep this going and can we remain competitive.
Think about it we ditch the 3o and now we are not at an advantage, but we may or may not get better recruits .

Fuentes even said that. "We play ten other teams and this is the only TO team we play. If we played the TO every week, we'd be ready. But we don't. It's unique."

Having said that, CPJ has all but guaranteed he'll be here another year. "We're close ...", says the Man.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer

If GT winds up going to maybe the Music City Bowl i bet Paul Johnson will get another two seasons.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Regardless of your stance, if we can’t get better athletes in school and to stay eligible, we are doomed regardless of coaching. Rinse and repeat.
As a lifelong Tech fan, I’ve seen the problems we have had with transitions in football and basketball. I want us to compete with the big boys in every sport.
Whatever it takes.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
Exactly, but again as others have stated CPJ isn't the main issue. Replacing CPJ and the offense is still a bandaid to some core gtaa issues. People say this offense hinders getting recruits, I've not seen that data in that, but I do know those that want to shine in a pro style offense still aren't likely to come to tech anyhow .

It's hard to say anything until we finish the season, but again I'm just not convinced that replacing the coach or offense will make things better.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
If you go back over the years, I think you would generally be surprised to find that, in many of our biggest wins, we did not throw the ball a lot. Below are the wins I quickly found by GT over ranked teams during the CPJ era. In the majority of the big wins, we actually had fewer pass attempts than even our season average. 10 or less pass ATTEMPTS in 8 of our 12 wins over ranked opponents.

#16 FSU - 6 pass attempts
#13 UGA - 6 pass attempts
#4 Va Tech - 7 pass attempts
#25 Clemson (ACC title game) - 18 pass attempts
#6 Clemson - 9 pass attempts
#18 Clemson - 11 pass attempts
#8 UGA - 16 pass attempts
#8 Miss St. - 12 pass attempts
#9 FSU - 10 pass attempts
#18 Va Tech - 7 pass attempts
UGA - 10 pass attempts
#17 Va Tech - 8 pass attempts

I am not saying you cant win with more passing, I just don't see a strong correlation.

For me, passing efficiency is more critical, and that has more to do with how is throwing it and who is catching it than the fundamental scheme. And in our good years, we have been top 5 in passing efficiency. As you and I agreed before, TM for CPJ = Reggie Ball for Gailey in a lot of ways.

Despite the "we must pass more to win" crowd, did I mention that most of our biggest wins have come when we actually move the ball on the ground well and throw LESS? :happy:

GT14

Jolly Good Fellow
I was just thinking today, we are probably going to finish at the exact worse case scenario for those that hate CPJ and his system - winning just enough games for him to stick around another year. :D

Pretty much spot on. I haven't enjoyed watching the offense since 2012 but years like 2014 I don't mind it. Years like this just suck. I'm obviously not rooting for us to tank and was very happy with the win, but have a sinking feeling that Ken will reveal on Monday that Todd was so happy with the win he offered CPJ an evergreen contract a la Hewitt.

Just when you think we might move to something different (and IMO more exciting), he pulls wins from his butt and saves his job. Which wouldn't be so bad if he kept coaching like his job was on the line even when it isn't.

grandpa jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I was just thinking today, we are probably going to finish at the exact worse case scenario for those that hate CPJ and his system - winning just enough games for him to stick around another year. :D
I nor anyone i know hates CPJ, i do hope he is not around next year.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
I am not out advocating a change, but if a change happened I would be good with it. I don't like the consistently crappy special teams, and defense has been an adventure constantly. The league seems to have gotten better around us and we have not kept pace. I see the potential of Woody's defense and CPJ's offense, but it seems like it's always "wait till next year". The special teams I have no reason to think anything will change.

I could see things getting better with more recruiting staff, better facilities, the right DC, etc. But there's something about not having decent ST's for 11 years that just troubles the hell out of me. All in all I don't have the inside scoop so I don't come out radically on either side of the argument.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
I'll be honest, I thought we would get beat. Lane Stadium on a Thursday with VT coming off a BYE? Not sure what happened but Fuente really doesn't have an excuse for that one. However, I still get a feeling CPJ has almost 0 room for error this season. 6-6 and he might stay, and I think beating UNC, and 2/3 of UVA, UM, and UGA means we definitely keep him. I'm not an insider or a big booster or anything but that's just my gut feeling at this point.

I also think we have to see what Auburn, UNC, and Louisville and some other schools end up doing. It might be a rough market come November to pull a decent hire.

slugboy

Staff member
Despite the "we must pass more to win" crowd, did I mention that most of our biggest wins have come when we actually move the ball on the ground well and throw LESS? :happy:

So, when we can run the ball we win big, but when we can't we lose?
In the games we lost, we did need to pass, and really couldn't.

Deleted member 2897

I'll be honest, I thought we would get beat. Lane Stadium on a Thursday with VT coming off a BYE? Not sure what happened but Fuente really doesn't have an excuse for that one. However, I still get a feeling CPJ has almost 0 room for error this season. 6-6 and he might stay, and I think beating UNC, and 2/3 of UVA, UM, and UGA means we definitely keep him. I'm not an insider or a big booster or anything but that's just my gut feeling at this point.

I also think we have to see what Auburn, UNC, and Louisville and some other schools end up doing. It might be a rough market come November to pull a decent hire.

Don't get me wrong, I'm NOT saying we should keep CPJ - but I don't think there is anything at this point in the season that could happen the last 4 games that would force him out.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
I don't understand people who say this offense is boring when it clicks and hits it groove. It is literally like watching a magic trick with the ball ending up 5 yard beyond the line of scrimmage each snap.
Exactly. People have short memories. To throw the ball all over the place, you have to have a QB to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.