Paul Johnson time frame.

What gets CPJ fired or encouraged to resign?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
All good points and agreed - fun to debate. Lemme give it a shot!

• Recruiting: I think a Leach-sort of style'd offense would open up recruiting more than CPJ's TO has. I personally believe (and the rankings back it) that the TO hasn't helped recruiting one bit and likely hurts it. We are hard enough to recruit to already - opening things up can only help. Yes, the Hill needs to pull the corncob out of its *** and make things easier too!
Somone posted a Venn Diagram of how small the recruiting pool is for GT. What they also left out is how the Flex Option limits our recruiting as well. So what's already a smaller pool compared to other schools, becomes even smaller. I'll say this. SEC and ACC are probably hoping CPJ stays as long as possible and GT doesn't hire a more "modern" offense. That's one less school, and a "home" school at that, that they need to recruit over in Atlanta.

One other thing I'll add. Spread offenses have become so prevalent in HS that it's a LOT easier to recruit a good passing dual threat QB than it is a pure option QB. Look at the QBs we've signed. Pretty much all of them, with maybe the exception of Synjyn Days, came from a passing spread offense. The two QBs we committed this year are from spread passing offenses. Kids are use to playing out of the shotgun now, and they enjoy passing the ball 20+ times a game. We voluntarily take ourselves out of the recruiting so many good skill players, especially in state.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
The only thing I would like to correct from the above posters is that Wazzou has a much harder path to the NY6 bowls than us. The coastal is almost always open and even if the winner gets hammered by Clemson or FSU (when they get back) a 1 or 2 loss ACC conference winner can still make the big bowls. Wazzou unfortunately has Stanford and Washington in their division and Oregon will probably bounce back. It's way more stacked than the Coastal.

Somone posted a Venn Diagram of how small the recruiting pool is for GT. What they also left out is how the Flex Option limits our recruiting as well. So what's already a smaller pool compared to other schools, becomes even smaller. I'll say this. SEC and ACC are probably hoping CPJ stays as long as possible and GT doesn't hire a more "modern" offense. That's one less school, and a "home" school at that, that they need to recruit over in Atlanta.

One other thing I'll add. Spread offenses have become so prevalent in HS that it's a LOT easier to recruit a good passing dual threat QB than it is a pure option QB. Look at the QBs we've signed. Pretty much all of them, with maybe the exception of Synjyn Days, came from a passing spread offense. The two QBs we committed this year are from spread passing offenses. Kids are use to playing out of the shotgun now, and they enjoy passing the ball 20+ times a game. We voluntarily take ourselves out of the recruiting so many good skill players, especially in state.

The only strange part about your post is that there are still CPJ defenders who'll vociferously disagree with it.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer

There is a lot of truth here, but doesn't it also help us in some ways? We load up on A-backs with no issues. We usually recruit a very strong stable of B-backs, (though the Marshall (transfer) / Mills (gone) / Benson (injured) situations have currently depleted that). We also seem to be okay getting the type of mobile o-lineman that we are looking for because they are generally considered under-sized for more passing offenses. I also think retention at QB has been a bigger factor than recruiting (Ratliff/Jones/Johnson/Jordan were all very promising). By all accounts, Mason could be a good one as well.

So I guess I "vociferously disagree?" lol.

I do think it hurts us at wide receiver. And I do think it hurts us finding an "elite" dual threat QB. (By the way, what was the last Georgia Tech QB to play meaningful snaps in the NFL? That position hasn't seemed to be just a CPJ issue.)

There is a lot of truth here, but doesn't it also help us in some ways? We load up on A-backs with no issues. We usually recruit a very strong stable of B-backs, (though the Marshall (transfer) / Mills (gone) / Benson (injured) situations have currently depleted that). We also seem to be okay getting the type of mobile o-lineman that we are looking for because they are generally considered under-sized for more passing offenses. I also think retention at QB has been a bigger factor than recruiting (Ratliff/Jones/Johnson/Jordan were all very promising). By all accounts, Mason could be a good one as well.

So I guess I "vociferously disagree?" lol.

I do think it hurts us at wide receiver. And I do think it hurts us finding an "elite" dual threat QB. (By the way, what was the last Georgia Tech QB to play meaningful snaps in the NFL? That position hasn't seemed to be just a CPJ issue.)

We never have enough OL depth and poor blocking is a complaint all GT fans make. Plus they are generally poor pass blockers for the handful of plays per game that require throwing the football. So I think the scheme clearly does hurt us there on OL Recruiting.

No argument re:Getting a bunch of RBs.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm not going to disagree that the option limits our pool, but I disagree that it has really hurt us with QB recruiting. James Graham and Justin Thomas we're both 4* athletes. Vad Lee was a 4star on ESPN and did very well as JMU. Jay Jones is supposedly doing very well at JUCO. We've just had trouble keeping guys healthy or keeping them on campus. Lucas Johnson is an unknown but maybe he's pretty good too. We also have two really good kids committed this class.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
We never have enough OL depth and poor blocking is a complaint all GT fans make. Plus they are generally poor pass blockers for the handful of plays per game that require throwing the football. So I think the scheme clearly does hurt us there on OL Recruiting.

No argument re:Getting a bunch of RBs.

I agree we never seem to have OL depth. But isn't that again largely due to retention more than anything else? I feel like we have been crazy snake bitten with guys on the O-line getting injured and/or graduating early and moving on unexpectedly. In 2014 and 2016, our O-line was killing people. If healthy, I think this year's O-line could be at least average ACC. Which, for Tech, ain't bad. A lot of our O-line standouts have been walkons and 3 star recruits, like Bedford and Shaq Mason. I am not sure Devine ever started regularly for us.

But, I do agree that O-line blocking is a constant complaint from GT fans. lol.

THWG16

Ramblin' Wreck
Because we can’t recruit against other teams running a spread and going back to a pro style will set us back years. We are limited on who we can offer. Stay with the option and run out of the gun and or tweak it a little. We need to be unique in what we run!
I hope you’re joking

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Great win tonight fun to watch, still don’t think this should keep CPJ his job. Hope he has a good season to end his career at GT or for good and we still go a different way after the season

The season isn't over. I'm agnostic on CPJ leaving. But if we make a bowl, he should get to stay to show it was "injuries" this year again. IMHO.

This was our biggest win of the season, away at VT. Jut enjoy till Sunday.

Status
Not open for further replies.