Paul Johnson time frame.

What gets CPJ fired or encouraged to resign?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
You know what happens in college football? The guy crying about not getting enough resources usually ends up helping the next coach get the resources that were missing.
That is what I assume is going to happen. CPJ fights with multiple ADs over the course of a decade to try to better the program. Falls behind in resources due to AD incompetence. Finally gets a supportive AD but the AD's hands are tied because on field performance. Next coach gets to reap the benefits of everything CPJ has worked for.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
That is what I assume is going to happen. CPJ fights with multiple ADs over the course of a decade to try to better the program. Falls behind in resources due to AD incompetence. Finally gets a supportive AD but the AD's hands are tied because on field performance. Next coach gets to reap the benefits of everything CPJ has worked for.

In this, I can truly empathize with Paul. A long,long time ago I twice took jobs that in retrospect weren't really all that good of a fit for me. I let $ and ego get in the way. You can't really change the culture of a place unless you are the CEO. I wasn't, and neither is Paul. But if you are cocky enough you believe that you can until you live long enough to find out you can't. I continue to root for Coach to get this ox out of the ditch. But if he can't, he will be rewarded in a way that will minimize the emotional scarring.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
In practice, theory, fantasy, reality, propaganda we will have to distance ourselves from the TO in every possible way we can.

“potential devastating impact of switching from the option to a non-option offense”? The greatest potential for a devastating impact is to remain too closely associated with the TO.

Many will crap their pampers by saying NEVER to a ugag grad. I say, at this moment, for many reasons, that would be a plus for him IF TStan thinks he is qualified.

I wonder depending on his relationship with CPJ, if he would have some irrational hard feelings towards us for firing CPJ?

Lastly, what CPJ would think about the potential of this scenario should be at about 2,694 on the top 100 list of considerations for our next coach. Whenever that happens.

I think it depends on if CPJ is fired. It is still entirely possible he retires or even already has retired and Tstan is tryign to get everything in lien for the next coach.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I think it depends on if CPJ is fired. It is still entirely possible he retires or even already has retired and Tstan is tryign to get everything in lien for the next coach.

I know there may be reasons why he might wish to retire, but there are a few million reasons why he wouldn't. If he's fired, they have to pay the buyout. If he retires, he leaves it all behind, right? Kind of hard to imagine.

64jacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Because we can’t recruit against other teams running a spread and going back to a pro style will set us back years. We are limited on who we can offer. Stay with the option and run out of the gun and or tweak it a little. We need to be unique in what we run!
HELL KNOW don't stay with this offence !! My goodness. I don't care how long it takes. Make the change now ! 11 years is long enough.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Because we can’t recruit against other teams running a spread and going back to a pro style will set us back years. We are limited on who we can offer. Stay with the option and run out of the gun and or tweak it a little. We need to be unique in what we run!

Why do you assume the only other option (no pun intended) is to go back to a "pro style" offense?

There really is no such thing as a "pro style" offense anymore. This is even true in the "pro" game. Look at the Rams and Chiefs. They are using read option, RPO, Air Raid passing concepts, etc. Eagles won the Super Bowl off RPO, spread, and a little bit of read option schemes.

The best offenses these days are the offenses that have a good base offense, but borrow good ideas from other offenses. Why do you think Alabama has become an offensive juggernaut of late? They are stealing the best ideas, and incorporating it into their offensive identity: Tough physical running and blocking, and complementing with sound offensive schemes from other offenses. What talent difficient teams use to use against teams like Bama, Bama is now using with their elite level talent.

This is the frustrating thing with CPJ. He has passing schemes that can help us with not only production on the field, but perception in recruiting and to the media, but he's barely using them. RnS concepts are so prevalent in college and the pros, but it seems we're shelving them to prove a point about "his system".

http://insidethepylon.com/nfl/teams...forgott-cult-new-englands-run-shoot-concepts/

As others have noted, and CPJ alluded to in an Sports Illustrated article, "his system" has become a mission. Hopefully that mission doesn't damage GT's football program in the long run while CPJ is trying to prove a point.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
Why do you assume the only other option (no pun intended) is to go back to a "pro style" offense?

There really is no such thing as a "pro style" offense anymore. This is even true in the "pro" game. Look at the Rams and Chiefs. They are using read option, RPO, Air Raid passing concepts, etc. Eagles won the Super Bowl off RPO, spread, and a little bit of read option schemes.

The best offenses these days are the offenses that have a good base offense, but borrow good ideas from other offenses. Why do you think Alabama has become an offensive juggernaut of late? They are stealing the best ideas, and incorporating it into their offensive identity: Tough physical running and blocking, and complementing with sound offensive schemes from other offenses. What talent difficient teams use to use against teams like Bama, Bama is now using with their elite level talent.

This is the frustrating thing with CPJ. He has passing schemes that can help us with not only production on the field, but perception in recruiting and to the media, but he's barely using them. RnS concepts are so prevalent in college and the pros, but it seems we're shelving them to prove a point about "his system".

http://insidethepylon.com/nfl/teams...forgott-cult-new-englands-run-shoot-concepts/

As others have noted, and CPJ alluded to in an Sports Illustrated article, "his system" has become a mission. Hopefully that mission doesn't damage GT's football program in the long run while CPJ is trying to prove a point.
I want us to continue running the option. Not anything like we had with Chan. I think running it out of the gun And trying to add some more passing is what we need. I think an option based offense gives us our best chance at competing with the UGA’s and Clemson’s on the field. I like PJ and the 3O but something need to be done differently.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer

A few games back, CPJ commented on TM’s inability to a complete a basic short pass by saying that you have to be able to complete that pass at the D1 level. That is just one - but not the only - example of why we are so limited and predictable. Tech’s problem is not CPJ’s unwillingness to open up his playbook, it is players’ inability to make those plays.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer

Huh? The article doesn't say anything like Johnson thinks he could win more by passing more but decides not to so that he can prove his system works. And if you truly believe that is what CPJ is thinking, I think you are delusional. CPJ is a competitor. He wants to win. If he thought he could win more by passing more, he would. In the article you linked, he says "he actually looked at moving Georgia Tech to a shotgun triple option a few years ago but ultimately decided to remain under center because plays didn’t hit as quickly as he’d like." That means he didn't think it worked as well, not that he decided not to run it because it wasn't pure to "his system."

And there is a basis for his opinion. Go back and look at all the stats I posted on pages 83 and 84 of this thread. In most of our big wins, we have thrown the ball even less than our season averages (10 or less pass ATTEMPTS in 8 of our 12 wins over ranked opponents). There has been shown no correlation between wins and increased passing attempts.

On the other hand, there is absolutely a correlation between wins and passing efficiency. And I agree with the poster above that the reason we haven't thrown more in the last two years is not because CPJ is stubborn, but because we haven't had a QB that is particularly good at it, nor particularly strong receivers. Blame that on recruiting/retention if you like, but don't blame the system.

charles

Jolly Good Fellow
Huh? The article doesn't say anything like Johnson thinks he could win more by passing more but decides not to so that he can prove his system works. And if you truly believe that is what CPJ is thinking, I think you are delusional. CPJ is a competitor. He wants to win. If he thought he could win more by passing more, he would. In the article you linked, he says "he actually looked at moving Georgia Tech to a shotgun triple option a few years ago but ultimately decided to remain under center because plays didn’t hit as quickly as he’d like." That means he didn't think it worked as well, not that he decided not to run it because it wasn't pure to "his system."

And there is a basis for his opinion. Go back and look at all the stats I posted on pages 83 and 84 of this thread. In most of our big wins, we have thrown the ball even less than our season averages (10 or less pass ATTEMPTS in 8 of our 12 wins over ranked opponents). There has been shown no correlation between wins and increased passing attempts.

On the other hand, there is absolutely a correlation between wins and passing efficiency. And I agree with the poster above that the reason we haven't thrown more in the last two years is not because CPJ is stubborn, but because we haven't had a QB that is particularly good at it, nor particularly strong receivers. Blame that on recruiting/retention if you like, but don't blame the system.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I want us to continue running the option. Not anything like we had with Chan. I think running it out of the gun And trying to add some more passing is what we need. I think an option based offense gives us our best chance at competing with the UGA’s and Clemson’s on the field. I like PJ and the 3O but something need to be done differently.

There are other systems that also incorporate the option into their offense. IMO, GT is a school that needs some component of the option in order to level the playing field. We need for defenses to account for ALL 11 guys on the field. Ralph Friedgen's offense is a great example of incorporating the option in order for defenses to account for all 11 offensive players, but also using the QB as a weapon with his feet.

CPJ's offense isn't the only offense out there running option, and his offense isn't the only offense out their that can maximize talent.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

Dude, you've missed the point of my post. You also miss the point that I've repeated often and over several threads: CPJ's offense works, but the off field baggage and perception that comes with it is no longer worth the on the field production (when it's actually working).

charles

Jolly Good Fellow
I am for CPJ at least create some new wrinkles in the offense to make the opposing D- coordinators work harder to prepare for us; I believe that most D-coordianators prepare for about 5 plays CPJ runs and with good atheletes with good fundamentals they can seem to stop or slow our offense down to a crawl.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
The spread/air raid/HUNH/RPO heavy offenses don't work down here unless you're Clemson or Bama (when Kiffen was there) or you have an insane amount of talent. UNC, VT, MSU, Auburn, Arkansas, A&M, and you can go on. Even Clemson's offense was not very good without an elite QB last year and was covered up by a bad ACC. They completely **** the bed against Auburn and Alabama. Ole Miss was about the only team to have some kind of consistency with it. I'm not sure what it is but outside of the Big12 and Ohio State it just doesn't work, and we aren't going to have the athletes to pull it off. Pro style with some spread concepts works but so do others. You have to run some version of a pro style if you aren't running the option imo.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer

CPJ has often said that. His whole point in taking the Tech job was to prove that the flexbone would work in D1 athletics. So yes ... he is on a mission.

charles

Jolly Good Fellow
The spread/air raid/HUNH/RPO heavy offenses don't work down here unless you're Clemson or Bama (when Kiffen was there) or you have an insane amount of talent. UNC, VT, MSU, Auburn, Arkansas, A&M, and you can go on. Even Clemson's offense was not very good without an elite QB last year and was covered up by a bad ACC. They completely **** the bed against Auburn and Alabama. Ole Miss was about the only team to have some kind of consistency with it. I'm not sure what it is but outside of the Big12 and Ohio State it just doesn't work, and we aren't going to have the athletes to pull it off. Pro style with some spread concepts works but so do others. You have to run some version of a pro style if you aren't running the option imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.