Paul Johnson time frame.

What gets CPJ fired or encouraged to resign?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
I feel that good coaches, at whatever level, are able to innovate and adapt to changes. Many might believe Whisenhunt " is what he is " and will always be. He is a Tech guy , so for that reason I give him a little more credit that Gailey and Smith. I may be wrong. Just curious. Not in love with the guy. BTW - Ist play by Chargers was a 75 yd TD catch and run. Just sayin....

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I think if CPJ is canned this December or December 2019 the football program will struggle for the following 3 seasons trying to find it's identity in the new offense that the next head coach will install.
Fired no , decides to leave 50% . Any new Coach if your are lucky maybe 2 bad years could be 3 followed by a year or 2 of 6 and 7 wins.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Fired no , decides to leave 50% . Any new Coach if your are lucky maybe 2 bad years could be 3 followed by a year or 2 of 6 and 7 wins.
We do not have a TE on scholarship and OL tend to be smaller than most P5 teams. Our QB position is not geared to pass or spread run-pass option. LJ might be the exception. We have tended to get good running QB that is not being recruited by other P5 schools for that position but they want to play QB. We would have some challenges the first couple of years.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
We will need a dynamic recruiter . Other ACC schools are poaching our players now. Used to be SEC for the most part. We have a lot of good players but not enough play makers that can make things happen under pressure--Butker and JT come to mind plus we knew we could run behind Mason.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
We will need a dynamic recruiter . Other ACC schools are poaching our players now. Used to be SEC for the most part. We have a lot of good players but not enough play makers that can make things happen under pressure--Butker and JT come to mind plus we knew we could run behind Mason.
Poaching the state of GA.

We need something to turn the negativity of our current FB program around. Whether a change of the current head coach is the answer or not something positive has to be done. A big year in 2019 with a more open offense could help if we can have a strong season. We are going to run into who will be the next coach anyway in a couple of years with PJ. Kids want to know who will be their coach in their Jr and Sr years. We will have a new QB next year regardless. I see more of the same with TO but he might actually be a better passer if PJ would take the halter off. Sorry LJ got hurt. He may have opened things up.

I'd welcome CPJ back if he puts in a shotgun formation and lets Graham start the last 3 games. That would show the fans "Hey look at what's coming next year!".

Instead, barring injury, it'll be 20+ TQM QB Keepers/game. I hope I'm wrong but this coach does not seem interested in innovation.

We do not have a TE on scholarship and OL tend to be smaller than most P5 teams. Our QB position is not geared to pass or spread run-pass option. LJ might be the exception. We have tended to get good running QB that is not being recruited by other P5 schools for that position but they want to play QB. We would have some challenges the first couple of years.

As long as Graham doesn't transfer, he could run just about any sort of modern offense, esp. anything out of the shotgun. I think we're OK at QB for now.

Zero argument re:OL though. I'd add WR to that too.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I'd welcome CPJ back if he puts in a shotgun formation and lets Graham start the last 3 games. That would show the fans "Hey look at what's coming next year!".

I am rooting for Paul and the team to end this year on a positive note. Like you, I think we need to accomplish that AND see either TO and/or JG a lot and getting meaningful snaps. We need to end the year optimistic and excited for next year. And I am rooting exactly for this outcome.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Please stop linking this article from SBNation it is incorrect. They are basing their numbers on the contract prior to the extension. With the extension he was given last year he is owed $1MM for each year remaining on the contract. Since he is under contract to 2022 that means $4MM after this year (still a relatively small buyout compared with most of the ones out there).

The correct contact numbers are here - read Article I in the pdf.

https://hkm.com/football/contracts/paul-johnson/

My gut is unless the team tanks TStan gives him one more yr as he would likely have to start thinking of extending or renewing him after 2019 since he would have only 3 yrs left on the contract which is seen as a negative for recruiting.

Do keep in mind though that Hewitt is being paid $900K through April and then is paid off, so if he did make a move this year starting in May you would trade $900K for $1MM. Not a big change and if whoever you hire comes in at less than the $3MM+ Johnson is getting you could potentially come out ahead - or put the difference into asst and recruiting pay.

I am rooting for Paul and the team to end this year on a positive note. Like you, I think we need to accomplish that AND see either TO and/or JG a lot and getting meaningful snaps. We need to end the year optimistic and excited for next year. And I am rooting exactly for this outcome.

Frankly, why wouldn't CPJ do something like this? What is there to lose, assuming we are out of the ACC Coastal with 3 games left?

Status
Not open for further replies.