Paul Johnson time frame.

What gets CPJ fired or encouraged to resign?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

THWG16

Ramblin' Wreck
Reading the ajc article by Bradley saying “tech wants to keep Johnson”, I just have to shake my head & wonder wth are some people thinking ? Maybe our AD is the problem . Anyway it promoted me to sit down and email the brass @ GT. Not sure it’s gonna help but I’m trying hard

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Reading the ajc article by Bradley saying “tech wants to keep Johnson”, I just have to shake my head & wonder wth are some people thinking ? Maybe our AD is the problem . Anyway it promoted me to sit down and email the brass @ GT. Not sure it’s gonna help but I’m trying hard
Bradley is correct TStan will be forced to make a change at head football coach when GT finishes 2018 4-8. I think GT beats North Carolina and finishes 4-8 and TStan pulls the plug on Paul Johnson's tenure at GT.

THWG16

Ramblin' Wreck
Bradley is correct TStan will be forced to make a change at head football coach when GT finishes 2018 4-8. I think GT beats North Carolina and finishes 4-8 and TStan pulls the plug on Paul Johnson's tenure at GT.
Idk why it would be a even a question ? And is Bradley just being Bradley by saying “tech wants to keep him”, cause why in the heck would we ? I think Bradley & other dawg people want us to though

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer

Of course GT wants to keep CPJ. They don’t have to pay a buyout. It’s not about winning ... it’s about acceptable levels of costs.

Last edited:

GT14

Jolly Good Fellow
Is it? Do we know if winning is important to Bud? It’s not as if attendance has improved under his tenure.

If he delivered the same results for Tech athletics that he delivered for Tech academics, wed be in nirvana.

Let’s face it. He can make a million a year and GT go 0-12.

We don't know that it's important to him, but I do know I've seen him and Val walking to/from multiple football/basketball games over the past couple years. I take that to mean it's important.

I believe someone on here has referenced a Georgia law capping university funding of athletic departments at 10%, although I can't find it right now. As of March 31, 2018, we have a projected 9.4% funding coming from student fees (6.3%) and institutional support (3.1%). Legally, I don't know what you'd like him to do short of spinning a sign in front of Bobby Dodd on game day.

Before anyone accuses me of being related to Bud or something, your second point is exactly why I like him. And I think hiring TStan was a great move, which ultimately Bud is also responsible for.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
How much money does Bradley send to Tech ? $0, so who cares what he has to say I'm sure the AD and Tech don't.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
We don't know that it's important to him, but I do know I've seen him and Val walking to/from multiple football/basketball games over the past couple years. I take that to mean it's important.

I believe someone on here has referenced a Georgia law capping university funding of athletic departments at 10%, although I can't find it right now. As of March 31, 2018, we have a projected 9.4% funding coming from student fees (6.3%) and institutional support (3.1%). Legally, I don't know what you'd like him to do short of spinning a sign in front of Bobby Dodd on game day.

Before anyone accuses me of being related to Bud or something, your second point is exactly why I like him. And I think hiring TStan was a great move, which ultimately Bud is also responsible for.

You’re right. There’s nothing that can be done.

“The Board of Trustees shall have control of the intercollegiate athletics conducted at or in the name of the Georgia Institute of Technology and all of the business affairs of the Georgia Tech Athletic Association. The Board of Trustees shall have the authority to borrow money and to contract debts in behalf of the Association, to authorize the issuance of bonds in its behalf, to pledge the credit and property of the Association for the payments of its debts, and to exercise all the rights and powers granted to the Association by its charter.”

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

The people are thinking that Johnson isn't the problem and it's other things so they want to hold on to what they perceive is an advantage and try to address the other stuff.

The issue for TSan is that it's quickly approaching the point where it doesn't really matter if Johnson is the issue or not. You can throw all the money you want into facilities and staff but if you're playing in front of a half empty stadium, or one filled with opposing fans, then that hurts more than all the other investments can help. To put it bluntly, we need to increase investment into facilities and staff, but we are at the point where we also need to aim that investment into something the reinvigorates the fanbase and that is almost certainly only a new head coach unless a drastic shift in the program happens real quick.

THWG16

Ramblin' Wreck
The people are thinking that Johnson isn't the problem and it's other things so they want to hold on to what they perceive is an advantage and try to address the other stuff.

The issue for TSan is that it's quickly approaching the point where it doesn't really matter if Johnson is the issue or not. You can throw all the money you want into facilities and staff but if you're playing in front of a half empty stadium, or one filled with opposing fans, then that hurts more than all the other investments can help. To put it bluntly, we need to increase investment into facilities and staff, but we are at the point where we also need to aim that investment into something the reinvigorates the fanbase and that is almost certainly only a new head coach unless a drastic shift in the program happens real quick.
I know I’ve said it a million times before , but I know PJ isn’t ALL the problem , but I think it’s obvious he & his system are a lot of it

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
This situation with Paul Johnson nearing the end of his tenure kind of reminds me of three other head coaches and the end of their coaching careers

1)**** Crum North Carolina(**** Crum's last 4 seasons at North Carolina 1984-1987 had records of 5-5-1, 5-6, 7-4-1 and 5-6 after being successful from 1979-1983)

2)Pat Dye Auburn(Pat Dye gets forced out after going 8-3-1 in 1990, 5-6 in 1991 and 5-5-1 in 1992 after being successful from 1982-1989)

3)Phil Fulmer(Phil Fulmer gets forced out in 2008 after having a 10-4 record in 2007 and a 5-7 record in 2008 after being very successful from 1993-2006 with the exception being the 5-6 2005 season)

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
I think there's the base recruiting implicit to the school, or that's the heritage of the school, and there's the effect of the head coach and his staff. IMHO, Al Golden didn't dent Miami's recruiting, or if he did it was slightly below average. I think Randy Shannon out-recruited him, and Richt is definitely out-recruiting him.

Schnellenberger built a recruiting engine down there, and Johnson and Erickson kept it going. Johnson might have improved on what Schnellenberger did a little. Shannon picked up on that heritage and was in the same league. Miami has a few things going for it--the region, the commitment to athletics, (currently) Richt's recruiting talent, and the engine that Howard Schnellenberger built. While he was there, I think Golden was just a passenger on that train, rather than a conductor.

Well, all of that may be true but I don’t think we will ever find anyone with a better name for our program. Al “Gold”en. [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slugboy

Staff member
This situation with Paul Johnson nearing the end of his tenure kind of reminds me of three other head coaches and the end of their coaching careers

1)**** Crum North Carolina(**** Crum's last 4 seasons at North Carolina 1984-1987 had records of 5-5-1, 5-6, 7-4-1 and 5-6 after being successful from 1979-1983)

2)Pat Dye Auburn(Pat Dye gets forced out after going 8-3-1 in 1990, 5-6 in 1991 and 5-5-1 in 1992 after being successful from 1982-1989)

3)Phil Fulmer(Phil Fulmer gets forced out in 2008 after having a 10-4 record in 2007 and a 5-7 record in 2008 after being very successful from 1993-2006 with the exception being the 5-6 2005 season)

In the beginning of his term at VT, Frank Beamer lost in four out of six years. They kept him, and VT got to be a top tier program for a while.
Question is whether this is a dry spell or a downward trend

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
In the beginning of his term at VT, Frank Beamer lost in four out of six years. They kept him, and VT got to be a top tier program for a while.
Question is whether this is a dry spell or a downward trend

I think unless a change is made and a good replacement is hired that there could be a long dry spell like there was from 1929-1936 and 1979-1983

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
If Paul Johnson says that bye weeks matter, and that opponents have had 13 of them, people would just say he's making excuses. It's a no-win.

There was an article (someone find it! I don't want to bother) that showed this disparity, to the point that Johnson and TStan had to go to the ACC to make a specific rule saying that no team could play more than 1 opponent coming off a bye week per season. I think it was 2016 that we played UNC, VT, Clemson, and Duke all coming off a bye week which the schools specifically requested and the ACC granted.
I wonder if GT happens to hire a well known coach like Gus Malzahn that the ACC will show GT more repect in kickoff times and the bye weeks other teams happen to get before playing GT?

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Seth Littrell @ North Texas
Tim Lester @ Western Michigan
& we know Scott Satterfield by now who I think would be a natural fit.

Are all reasonable names to consider. Seth gets a nice salary at North Texas but GT someone who fits at GT as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.