Paul Johnson time frame.

What gets CPJ fired or encouraged to resign?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
Thanks for agreeing with me. I never said we don't have a coaching issue. The topic was about what the previous AD/s have done to our program by letting us slip behind. I don't need to get over myself, because its a fact. All the numbers bare that out. Yes they booked a CARGO PLANE to fly our guys over to England to play Boston College. Yes we tried to hire new coaches before and it was turned down. Etc etc etc. You can stamp your feet and get mad when you read these things, BUT THEY ARE TRUE. Who cares if CPJ is here coaching next year or not? I don't care. But that's a different topic than the one discussed about what previous AD/s did here. Stop letting your bloody life consuming hate of CPJ blind you to reality.

"people see things differently than you do" LOL, I mean yea, if they don't read the newspapers.

So good. You join me and IVY in calling for a coaching change at the end of the year.

Glad to know your on board. And by the way, I have not hate for CPJ. He has done some good things here. Just happen to believe it's time for him to go

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
We have 9 guys on defense rated 4-stars by at least 1 of the agencies. And that's just the folks who are on the team currently. I'm sure you know several of our players currently in the NFL, including 1 guy that was ranked #1200 in the country who is on a $50 million contract right now. But I wouldn't include him on your list as he was barely a 3-star guy.

This is the type of post that lessens your credibility. (see what I did there) You were asked a direct question and you side stepped it. Why some people can't just acknowledge the fact that Johnson can't recruit is beyond me.

RiseUpATL

Banned
Ok, so first our recruiting is not the same as under those other coaches. 2nd we are way behind in resources compared to other programs, this was not the case under those other coaches. If you look at a constant theme, the more we have fallen behind in resources the more games we have started to lose. You act as what you are saying is a fact, yet you have no hard evidence for it, that’s called an opinion. You are choosing to not acknowledge that resources do matter. It’s funny, because I’m kind of in the middle, you have those who say it’s all coach and those who say it’s not coach at all, or at least that’s how it comes across. What I can’t seem to understand though is this, the ones who blame CPJ for pretty much all of it and say it’s coaching have literally no facts, it’s just opinions. At least the other side can show proff that teams who spend more and have better resources generally do better. I think blame is on both sides, CPJ could change things up imo, but the program could help him out in allowing him to have better resources to help succeed such as better staffing and more of it. I actually think I’m one of the few that’s in the middle of this.

Let me ask you a question though, I’ve asked this a lot to those who only blame CPJ but every time I ask it gets ignored. I’ll give the short version. Let’s say you are a manager of a sales company, is it fair for your boss to want you to match a competitor company in sales when they have double the sales guys, more money, and nicer product?

I have given you facts regarding coaching. You have chosen to ignore them. 2 out 3 losing seasons and several losses of less than 1 TD with blown leads in the 4th quarter despite the same recruiting rankings over the last 15 years that has stayed consistent relative to other programs in our division's rankings. We are losing games due to bad in game coaching decisions, OL miscommunications, fumbles, bad special teams and shoddy defense. Despite all of that we haven't been blown out often. Even against Clemson last year. The resources argument would more weight if we dropped in our average recruiting class relative to other programs and started getting blown out more often on the field. But that's not the case. We are close to winning a lot more football games than we are to getting blown out. Which is why your statement that "the more we have fallen behind in resources, the more games we started to lose" is wrong. The fact that I can point point to specific points in single games where the outcome would have likely led to a win speaks to the lack of fundamental football being coached right now. There is nothing opinionated about it. We witness live every Saturday.

So to say there are no facts is just being ignorant. The facts are right in front of you. I've given them. Our recruiting is the same under the last 3 coaches. Our recruiting is the same relative to the other programs in our division. We haven't changed and they haven't changed over a 15 year period. I don't know why you think those aren't facts other than you are ignoring them. You give me some facts as to why it's different. The numbers say it is consistent.

I acknowledge we are behind in total overall resources, but I blame coaching on the recent failures because we are so close to winning those ballgames but key breakdowns at specific points in games is costing us that has nothing to do with money or facilities.

RiseUpATL

Banned
This is the type of post that lessens your credibility. (see what I did there) You were asked a direct question and you side stepped it. Why some people can't just acknowledge the fact that Johnson can't recruit is beyond me.

That's all he's done this whole thread is deflect. He cannot see the forest through trees. He is consumed by a universe filled with false flags.

Deleted member 2897

There you go again putting words in my mouth. Where did I ever say Johnson was a good recruiter? You listed a bunch of 4-star guys, so I matched you...just on our roster right now. I also pointed out that a guy who was barely above a 2-star is on a $50 million contract. I thought you asked a serious question - where are our highly rated players under CPJ and where are our NFL players? I answered both. Unless you were after something different.

Deleted member 2897

That's all he's done this whole thread is deflect. He cannot see the forest through trees. He is consumed by a universe filled with false flags.

If you have something concrete you'd like to ask, then please do so instead of tossing around insults. If you've got an example where you think I'm deflecting, then please bring it up (I noticed you didn't here) instead of tossing around insults.

Deleted member 2897

So good. You join me and IVY in calling for a coaching change at the end of the year.

Glad to know your on board. And by the way, I have not hate for CPJ. He has done some good things here. Just happen to believe it's time for him to go

Its not my place to call for it. I believe its beyond time for Danny Hall to be gone, so I'll call for it there. Tons and tons of highly rated recruiting classes with mediocre results. Football is a different can of worms. I will defer to Todd on that one as to whether its necessary right now or not. I don't have a violent opinion either way. I will admit CPJ has a lot of great qualities and has done a lot of great things here, but there are some things he does which also annoy that absolute garbage out of me.

RiseUpATL

Banned
If you have something concrete you'd like to ask, then please do so instead of tossing around insults. If you've got an example where you think I'm deflecting, then please bring it up (I noticed you didn't here) instead of tossing around insults.

I don't think you understand what an insult is. And I don't have to give an example because @Boaty1 just gave one for me.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I mean, we just held Duke to 28 points despite special teams and the offense giving them a short field multiple times...including starting 1st and goal from our 5. Duke had 304 yards of offense. Daniel Jones' QBR was 49. Duke averaged 3.0 yards per rush. Yet another game to me where the defense played more than good enough for us to win. Same with Pitt too...and I'd even argue against USF with the multiple KO return touchdowns. USF offense scored on 5 of 12 possessions. It wasn't a great performance, but it should have been enough to give us a chance to win.
According to ESPN, we are currently ranked #81 in Total Defense in Div I. We are also ranked #81 in Scoring Defense.

That said, I thought the Duke game was our best defensive game in several years. Maybe Nate Woody is finally getting the guys to buy in completely and they are not overthinking every play. BTW, who are the nine 4* guys?

Deleted member 2897

According to ESPN, we are currently ranked #81 in Total Defense in Div I. We are also ranked #81 in Scoring Defense.

That said, I thought the Duke game was our best defensive game in several years. Maybe Nate Woody is finally getting the guys to buy in completely and they are not overthinking every play. BTW, who are the nine 4* guys?

The NCAA website has us listed at #57 in total defense: https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/22/p2

ASA
Justice Dingle
Jay King
TK
Bonds
BJS
Tre Swilling
Jaytlin Askew
Jaquan Henderson

On offense:
Parker Braun
James Graham

In current recruiting class:
Wesley Walker

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
Here is our recruiting ranking history in the ACC per Rivals.
2018: 9/14
2017: 8/14
2016: 13/14
2015: 8/14
2014: 11/14
2013: 13/14
2012: 10/12
2011: 8/12
2010: 8/12
2009: 8/12
2008: 9/12
2007: 3/12
2006: 11/12
2005: 11/12
2004: 9/11
2003: 6/8
2002: 8/10

I think your entire statement is wrong, backed up by the data. :) . Here's what I mean. Well, there's the data. We're all out here demanding that our team somehow finish way above average despite spending at the very bottom. Based on what? In the 50 years before CPJ, we won 8 games about once every 10 years. Now we're doing it about once every 2.5 years. That's a pretty large improvement. We play an extra about 1 game per year now, and 2018 will likely be another non 8-win season, so those numbers would be a bit closer. But this entire argument that somehow we're supposed to be able to overcome all these shortcomings just seems weird. You think we should take recruits ranked in the bottom 20% of the conference and somehow be able to 'coach them up'?

If recruiting is your concern then you should certainly want CPJ gone. His system will always result in him playing with less talent than his opponents.

Deleted member 2897

If recruiting is your concern then you should certainly want CPJ gone. His system will always result in him playing with less talent than his opponents.

Did you even look at that chart? If anything, it has gotten better under him - certainly not worse. And thats despite our spending on football going to the absolute bottom compared to our ACC compadres.

Deleted member 2897

On scoring defense, our points allowed include multiple kickoff return TDs, defensive TDs against us, and super short fields like the 1st and goal against Duke. They don't do anything to differentiate who might have actually been responsible for the points.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Here is our recruiting ranking history in the ACC per Rivals.
2018: 9/14
2017: 8/14
2016: 13/14
2015: 8/14
2014: 11/14
2013: 13/14
2012: 10/12
2011: 8/12
2010: 8/12
2009: 8/12
2008: 9/12
2007: 3/12
2006: 11/12
2005: 11/12
2004: 9/11
2003: 6/8
2002: 8/10
I was surprised to see that you had posted this as evidence that recruiting was getting better. All you can do is wonder how we have done as well as we have. Clearly, CPJ is a great coach and deserves to be seen in that light. Kirby Smart seems to get out coached 3/4 times a year. But his recruiting classes make up for his dumb coaching ideas. Johnson never has that luxury, so "we have very little margin for error" is the meme for football and basketball. Three fumbles in 2 minutes is too many. Tipped passes that get caught by the WR and KO returns to the house are the killers in other games. But it is too often something that is out of our control.

In CPJ's era we have never finished above 8th in recruiting. CPJ harnessed the great 2007 Gailey class for his success in 2008 and 2009.

What your chart really says loudly to me is that I should temper my expectations and be as supportive as possible. And stop following our recruiting efforts so closely.

Deleted member 2897

I was surprised to see that you had posted this as evidence that recruiting was getting better.

My exact words were, and I quote "If anything, it has gotten better under him - certainly not worse. And thats despite our spending on football going to the absolute bottom compared to our ACC compadres."

Allow me to retranslate into maybe more clear english - to me I certainly don't see worse numbers. So its either the same, or marginally better under CPJ, and that's while we get left behind by the rest of the conference on spending.

Status
Not open for further replies.