Paul Johnson time frame.

What gets CPJ fired or encouraged to resign?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
I could get behind another year of cpj if he hired an offensive coordinator or consultant to assist with some new additions to offense. If the offense becomes more efficient in passing and passes more, it will also improve recruiting...

And does anyone think in year 12, he will do something like that?

Well, maybe if he could give the position to Sewak.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
I'm not saying he is not a good coach but do you really see the president of Georgia Tech and the hill going along with that hire? If you are the AD Is he really the one you want as your signature hire? I know publicity is good but I don't see bad publicity being good for Tech. I could be wrong I have been in the past.

Bud Peterson is in NO position to pull the moral superiority card.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
My confidence in Johnson's ability to coach us at a competitive level has dropped significantly. We have three possible outcomes to our games right now:
  1. Blow out an inferior opponent
  2. Get blown out by a superior opponent
  3. Lose a close game to an opponent on our level
It's pretty much been this way since the start of the 2015 season. There is a fourth option that we can't seem to do right now:

4. Win a close game against an opponent on our level

IMO, #1 and #2 are controlled by recruiting. #3 and #4 are controlled by coaching.

Johnson is 60 years old. At this point, 2022 is the last year I could see him being at Tech anyhow, and he'll probably retire before then.

So what is worse for the program at this point: 1) Keep him for two more years and let him retire to save us the buyout money, 2) Fire him and pay a buyout we can't afford

IMO, #1 has less of a negative impact on the program than #2.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Compared to last year's dumpster fire, the team is actually playing for a full 60 minutes. I think Pruitt has taken control of the program and is making the right changes. He did say, the talent today is not sufficient to play SEC ball and that it will take 2 years or so to do so. I do think he wants to return to recruiting in GA again (who doesn't, except it seems, Tech) ... I'm pleased with how UT is playing compared to the crap of a show they put on last year.
I would be happy is GT hired a head football coach or assistant coach who had real fire in his belly like Jeremy Pruitt has at Tennessee;)

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I've seen a lot of posts here over the last few weeks that assert that if we changed offenses we would recruit better. I've answered a lot of them, pointing out our problems and what we need (more money - duh) to address them.

Now, I'd like to see someone present some systematic evidence - not anecdotes or hearsay - that shows that we would recruit better if we had a different offense. This is a site full of engineers some of whom probably present themselves as data analysts. So let's see what - if anything - you have. Btw, trying to prove a negative ("we must be able to do better since we haven't been going to bowl games!") isn't allowed. Logically, that is.

Btw, I may address the "we want some excitement!" cries in a future post, if I find the time. But this should keep people occupied for awhile.

I want evidence that proves conclusively that More Money will make HS kids suddenly want to play in this offense.
More money will enable us, among other things, to increase our recruiting staff, which would hopefully allow us to recruit more on a nationwide basis, thus reaching out to more HS kids. The increased staff would also allow us to really focus on certain desirable kids. If we recruit a greater number of kids, and really focus on the most desirable ones, then the likelihood of finding kids who want to play in this offense, or just want to come to Tech regardless of the offense, is bound to increase. Do I have any numbers to support that? Of course not, but I think that's more than a reasonable conclusion to come to. More money would also allow us to further improve the facilities, as well as the coaching staff, and both of those would be attractive to a certain number of kids as well.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
We could probably recruit marginally better with a different offense. There is no way to prove it. Comparisons to Gailey aren't really that relevant because things have changed a lot since then. My question to you is why be so attached to an offense that no longer gives us a schematic advantage?

Ramblinwreck07

Jolly Good Fellow
Kids are turned off by this offense. The evidence is simply this: I've coached multiple D1 football players since CPJ has been at GT, including several that are in the NFL. They were turned off by the offense and didn't consider GT. This includes a current NFL wide receiver that straight up said he had zero interest playing in that offense. This had nothing to do with money, academics or recruiting staff; it was all because of the offense.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Yes we get it, you think Johnson is the best coach ever and we couldn't possibly do better. Any problems we have are those either below, DC, or above, Admin, him and if we fire him we won't ever win another game while if we keep him he'll magically turn everything around and it'll be sunshine and lolipops.

More money will enable us, among other things, to increase our recruiting staff, which would hopefully allow us to recruit more on a nationwide basis, thus reaching out to more HS kids. The increased staff would also allow us to really focus on certain desirable kids. If we recruit a greater number of kids, and really focus on the most desirable ones, then the likelihood of finding kids who want to play in this offense, or just want to come to Tech regardless of the offense, is bound to increase. Do I have any numbers to support that? Of course not, but I think that's more than a reasonable conclusion to come to. More money would also allow us to further improve the facilities, as well as the coaching staff, and both of those would be attractive to a certain number of kids as well.

We have updated our facilities more recently than the mutts have. I don't think any amt. of spending is going to make 4-5 star OL want to play in our scheme.

Coaching staff? Agreed- starting with a new HC!! :joyful:

ATL1

Helluva Engineer

Why not increase the budget and get a new staff?

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Yes we get it, you think Johnson is the best coach ever and we couldn't possibly do better. Any problems we have are those either below, DC, or above, Admin, him and if we fire him we won't ever win another game while if we keep him he'll magically turn everything around and it'll be sunshine and lolipops.

It’s like they love Paul Johnson more than the Institute. Beyond me.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
We have updated our facilities more recently than the mutts have. I don't think any amt. of spending is going to make 4-5 star OL want to play in our scheme.

Coaching staff? Agreed- starting with a new HC!! :joyful:
What? ugag has way better facilities than us

Status
Not open for further replies.