Paul Johnson time frame.

What gets CPJ fired or encouraged to resign?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Seth Littrell @ North Texas
Tim Lester @ Western Michigan
& we know Scott Satterfield by now who I think would be a natural fit.

Are all reasonable names to consider. Seth gets a nice salary at North Texas but GT someone who fits at GT as well.
If i were TStan i would also talk to USC Offensive Coordinator Tee Martin who is a strong recruiter and LSU Assistant Head Coach-Defensive Coordinator Dave Aranda.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Seth Littrell @ North Texas
Tim Lester @ Western Michigan
& we know Scott Satterfield by now who I think would be a natural fit.

Are all reasonable names to consider. Seth gets a nice salary at North Texas but GT someone who fits at GT as well.
I like Littrell. That dude can coach an offense.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
If i were TStan i would also talk to USC Offensive Coordinator Tee Martin who is a strong recruiter and LSU Assistant Head Coach-Defensive Coordinator Dave Aranda.

Tee Martin is an interesting thought. I just read his Wikipedia page and he already has some business in Atlanta.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tee_Martin

Martin owns Playmakers Sports, a company specializing in sports event planning, quarterback training, and skills development[17] and is a college football expert on Comcast Sports Southeast program Talkin' Football.[18] He is a quarterback coach for the Nike Elite 11 Quarterback Camps, Nike Football Training Camps, and has trained many high school and Division 1 quarterbacks.[19] In 2008, Martin created the "Dual Threat" Quarterback Camp and Academy in Atlanta, Georgia.[20]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ATL1

Helluva Engineer

I think they’ll be out GT’s price range.
These names are more realistic but Littrell may be out of GT’s price range as well.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Tee Martin is an interesting thought. I just read his Wikipedia page and he already has some business in Atlanta.

Martin owns Playmakers Sports, a company specializing in sports event planning, quarterback training, and skills development[17] and is a college football expert on Comcast Sports Southeast program Talkin' Football.[18] He is a quarterback coach for the Nike Elite 11 Quarterback Camps, Nike Football Training Camps, and has trained many high school and Division 1 quarterbacks.[19] In 2008, Martin created the "Dual Threat" Quarterback Camp and Academy in Atlanta, Georgia.[20]

Tee Martin is a quality person and would be a great head coaching candidate for GT to look at for head football coach and he's a very strong recruiter.

RiseUpATL

Banned
In the beginning of his term at VT, Frank Beamer lost in four out of six years. They kept him, and VT got to be a top tier program for a while.
Question is whether this is a dry spell or a downward trend

Not at all similar comparisons. Frank was still young and energetic. With PJ we are talking the difference in next year and 2-3 years after. It’s not really long enough to determine if there is to be a trend. We aren’t talking about a whole lot of time here. It’s not a career coaching decision.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
This situation with Paul Johnson nearing the end of his tenure kind of reminds me of three other head coaches and the end of their coaching careers

1)**** Crum North Carolina(**** Crum's last 4 seasons at North Carolina 1984-1987 had records of 5-5-1, 5-6, 7-4-1 and 5-6 after being successful from 1979-1983)

2)Pat Dye Auburn(Pat Dye gets forced out after going 8-3-1 in 1990, 5-6 in 1991 and 5-5-1 in 1992 after being successful from 1982-1989)

3)Phil Fulmer(Phil Fulmer gets forced out in 2008 after having a 10-4 record in 2007 and a 5-7 record in 2008 after being very successful from 1993-2006 with the exception being the 5-6 2005 season)

And all those programs struggled for the next 5-10 years*... Be careful what you wish for.

The unfortunate reality is: CPJ is probably the best coach available to Tech for next year. Tennessee, Florida, Michigan, etc have the resources, brand, and support to pretty much get any coach they want. None of them can find a good coach. Tech won't have the luxury of picking any coach we want. We'll be shopping in the discount bin.

That's not an argument against making a change. If we have another losing season think we have to move on for revenue/fundraising reasons. But the success rate for new P5 head coaches is really low. We'll be very very fortunate if our next coach is as good or better than CPJ was.

*(I know Auburn had a good year in 1993. But they got a bowl ban, etc, and went downhill from there.)

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
And all those programs struggled for the next 5-10 years*... Be careful what you wish for.

The unfortunate reality is: CPJ is probably the best coach available to Tech for next year. Tennessee, Florida, Michigan, etc have the resources, brand, and support to pretty much get any coach they want. None of them can find a good coach. Tech won't have the luxury of picking any coach we want. We'll be shopping in the discount bin.

That's not an argument against making a change. If we have another losing season think we have to move on for revenue/fundraising reasons. But the success rate for new P5 head coaches is really low. We'll be very very fortunate if our next coach is as good or better than CPJ was.

*(I know Auburn had a good year in 1993. But they got a bowl ban, etc, and went downhill from there.)
Auburn went 11-0, 9-1-1, 8-3 and 10-3 the next four seasons with Terry Bowden. You're right about Auburn getting nailed by the NCAA

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer

And you would have to agree that a large part of this is due to the state of the program Johnson inherited compared to what he is leaving.

Some within his control and some outside of it, but this program is not near as strong as it was in 07.

alagold

Helluva Engineer

You may be right but how much worse can we get? we are headed for 4-8 now MAYBE and bad recruiting for the future.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
I never heard that. I think he was a great fit at Tech. I think his son attended and got a CE degree.

Bobby was “tainted” after he chased and grabbed a ref following a Maryland loss to UNC. The school reprimanded him and said he was an embarrassment to the university.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.