Paul Johnson time frame.

What gets CPJ fired or encouraged to resign?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Four years ago a sizeable group from my fraternity came in for a Friday night event and block seating for the homecoming game on Saturday. They tried to organize the same event this year. Only a handful of people were interested in coming, and that was for Friday night. Not one person wanted game tickets.

A guy who was in another fraternity said that a group got together last Saturday for homecoming. They did not go to the game.

Whether you like Paul Johnson or not, the AD cannnot allow the apathy surrounding the program to continue. Empty seats and reduced contributions speak louder than whether the AD or anyone else likes the coach. The hard part of Stansbury's decision is in finding the right replacement.

My son hasn't been able to find anyone in his dorm who wants to go to the games, so he goes by himself. He has been to all of them, but has left early for all except Alcorn. He went to the restaurants in West Village for the USF game. One TV in 4 was tuned to the game, and the students weren't watching it. He said most were doing school work.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I have given you facts regarding coaching. You have chosen to ignore them. 2 out 3 losing seasons and several losses of less than 1 TD with blown leads in the 4th quarter despite the same recruiting rankings over the last 15 years that has stayed consistent relative to other programs in our division's rankings. We are losing games due to bad in game coaching decisions, OL miscommunications, fumbles, bad special teams and shoddy defense. Despite all of that we haven't been blown out often. Even against Clemson last year. The resources argument would more weight if we dropped in our average recruiting class relative to other programs and started getting blown out more often on the field. But that's not the case. We are close to winning a lot more football games than we are to getting blown out. Which is why your statement that "the more we have fallen behind in resources, the more games we started to lose" is wrong. The fact that I can point point to specific points in single games where the outcome would have likely led to a win speaks to the lack of fundamental football being coached right now. There is nothing opinionated about it. We witness live every Saturday.

So to say there are no facts is just being ignorant. The facts are right in front of you. I've given them. Our recruiting is the same under the last 3 coaches. Our recruiting is the same relative to the other programs in our division. We haven't changed and they haven't changed over a 15 year period. I don't know why you think those aren't facts other than you are ignoring them. You give me some facts as to why it's different. The numbers say it is consistent.

I acknowledge we are behind in total overall resources, but I blame coaching on the recent failures because we are so close to winning those ballgames but key breakdowns at specific points in games is costing us that has nothing to do with money or facilities.
Those aren’t facts that coaching is bad though, that’s just an opinion. There is a number of things that could cause bad seasons lol, like resources. I could give examples of great years we have had to show coaching is good, either way it’s cherry picking with no hard evidence/facts. It’s still an opinion. And my comment of the more we have fallen behind is a fact. Teams began to spend more and get new flashy things and we started to lose more. You seem to not mention that while our recruiting is staying the same the other teams recruiting is growing over that span. And our recruiting is not the same under the last 3 coaches...... which is irrelevant when other schools recruiting is getting better and ours is not, maybe that explains why we haven’t been doing as well. And maybe the teams are recruiting better now because of resources.

Milwaukee

Banned
arguably way behind. Fixing the russell deal went a long way to fix that perception. The guys have gotten more gear this season than I did in 4 years (t shirts, bookbags, shoes, hoodies etc)

The thing is we all know players at different schools and we always compare. Off the top of my head, GT's food is incredibly subpar and there was a constant feeling of things just being done as cheaply as possible.

In '16 we never even got tax slayer bowl rings despite beating UGA for instance. But having Adidas is already paying dividends in our general attractiveness to recruits. Old folks might not like the blue pants but that gets us on all the different Uniform pages on twitter and IG which every prospect in the world follows.

How old are you if you don't mind me asking? I'm asking because it sounds like you were complaining that the provided food at school wasn't quite as good as Clemson's. I'm in my 30s, and this sounds like something the 18 and 19yr old kids nowadays would complain about. 10yrs ago it sounds like something the 13 and 14yr olds would complain about. I'm genuinely curious.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
Did you even look at that chart? If anything, it has gotten better under him - certainly not worse. And thats despite our spending on football going to the absolute bottom compared to our ACC compadres.

I typed a long post in the "time frame" thread about recruiting under Johnson compared to his 2 predecessors and I would invite you to check it out. Basically O'Leary had us recruiting at a high level consistently at the time of his departure and Gailey followed him up with extremely disappointing classes before he found his groove with the 07 class. Which had become the norm just 5 years earlier with O'Leary. One might look at that as an outlier for Gailey but that would be disregarding the fact that Gailey was prepared to follow that 07 class up with another solid one in 08 before we fired him 2 moths before signing day. Johnson has not figured out the recruiting pitch for GT the way both O'Leary and Gailey had prior to their departures and honestly I don't think it's fair to him to act shocked about this. We knew we gave up the potential of top 25 classes the moment we hired CPJ. We made the gamble that he could win with lower recruiting classes and in the beginning he was successful. Recent results however have not been where they have been during the first 6 years of his tenure here.

And for the record, I agree that funding for football is an issue and am excited about Stansbury and his fundraising prowess and believe ultimately that is important in getting us to where we need to be. I'm just of the opinion that Johnson would not be able to take advantage of the additional resources due to his offense and temperament and I don't want to waste the good work Stansbury is doing. The longer we go down this current road, the harder it will be to come back from. I have no hate for CPJ. I just want to see GT back where I have seen them for the better part of my fandom dating back to the late 80's and I feel like his time has passed him by here on the flats.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
In answer to your hypothetical, no, it wouldn't be fair for a boss to expect you to match a competitor who is much better equipped. However, it would be fair for him to expect a competent performance, relative to the amount of resources you have. I am in the camp that we need both more resources and a new coach, though. In fact, I suspect hiring a new coach may be necessary to get people to shell out money for the improvements TStan wants to make.
Me and you are the rare breeds on here because we see it as both lol. I will disagree with just one thing though, if you’re resources are majorly below the teams you play wouldn’t you say playing close but losing is a competent performance? I am in the camp of getting a new coach as well, not because of CPJ though. Imo we are starting to see the affect of falling behind in resources and because of that, people no longer support CPJ which is going to cause more and more issues imo. Sometimes it takes change to get change if that makes sense? This is one of those cases imo. I think it’s unfair to CPJ for what it’s worth.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
140 hrs/week? Come on man. There are only 168 hours per week so ur VP getting only 4 hrs sleep/night and doing nothing else?

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

All I can tell you is even on Saturdays, when he was a lowly plant manager, when I came in at 5:00 a.m. working on a project, he would be here. He is obsessed. It truly is his life. It may be closer to 120 than 140 most weeks, but it is never under 100.....

slugboy

Staff member
How old are you if you don't mind me asking? I'm asking because it sounds like you were complaining that the provided food at school wasn't quite as good as Clemson's. I'm in my 30s, and this sounds like something the 18 and 19yr old kids nowadays would complain about. 10yrs ago it sounds like something the 13 and 14yr olds would complain about. I'm genuinely curious.

I’m not him, but if you have to put on 15 or more pounds of “good weight” over a year (and some people gain more), the food options are important.
The GOMAD diet has that name for more than one reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GT14

Jolly Good Fellow
When Bud Peterson played for K State, they went 15-29. Do you think he cares about winning? Anything?

This is ridiculous.

"Since Tre and Bruce Swilling have been playing for Georgia Tech, they have gone 8-10. Do you think they care about winning? Anything?"

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
This is ridiculous.

"Since Tre and Bruce Swilling have been playing for Georgia Tech, they have gone 8-10. Do you think they care about winning? Anything?"

Is it? Do we know if winning is important to Bud? It’s not as if attendance has improved under his tenure.

If he delivered the same results for Tech athletics that he delivered for Tech academics, wed be in nirvana.

Let’s face it. He can make a million a year and GT go 0-12.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Let me ask you this. What resources do you think will help us land these mystery recruits? We now have state of the art brand new locker rooms and an indoor practice facility. There are many major programs out there that do not have such. Miami has not indoor practice field and UGA's "half field" is a joke (though they are building one now I believe). UGA just got new locker rooms this year, same as us.

You think a recruit cares that we have 2-3 more assistants on staff? No...they don't. The elite kids care about one ultimate thing and that's prep for the NFL. I'll bet if you polled elite recruits their top three selling point are probably 1. NFL prep, 2. facilities, 3. coaches. We run a system that does not prepare guys for the NFL on offense and our defense also suffers because they have to practice against it. And let's face it. Our coaches have done a poor job developing players and the last 3 drafts show this.

Oh good grief. You think recruiting staff size matters at all to recruits? No!!! That’s not the point at all and I can’t believe you are even making that point,

Staff size matters because it puts more resources into finding more recruits, evaluating more of them, and providing more strokes through social media, mailers, phone calls, visits etc. That’s why staff size matters. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

PTCjacket

Banned
Oh good grief. You think recruiting staff size matters at all to recruits? No!!! That’s not the point at all and I can’t believe you are even making that point,

Staff size matters because it puts more resources into finding more recruits, evaluating more of them, and providing more strokes through social media, mailers, phone calls, visits etc. That’s why staff size matters. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Yeah, I'm not sure why this is such a hard concept to grasp. We need to be able to recruit nationally, which we did at one point under Gailey with decent success. An expanded recruiting staff helps us accomplish this.

With that said, I've tried to lobby to my wife that staff size doesn't matter, and she's quite unimpressed with my arguments to this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.