Paul Johnson time frame.

What gets CPJ fired or encouraged to resign?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
GT would still get a lot of publicity with a well known head coach like Gus Malzahn and that would help recruiting.

I’m not a big fan of Malzahn but he might be good for GT. Regardless, I think Malzahn would be considered an upper-tier coach and I’m not convinced that GT would be able to, or want to, pay the money for an upper-tier coach. I think you can forget getting any coach who coached a top 10 team in the past decade. I hope I’m proven wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deleted member 2897

These are all Gailey recruits:

Calvin Johnson
Morgan Burnett
Derrick Morgan
Jonathan Dwyer
Kenny Scott
Joshua Nesbitt
Michael Johnson
Darrell Richard
Demaryius Thomas
Tashard Choice
Keyaron Fox

Who would rank in the list from CPJ's time at GT?

We have 9 guys on defense rated 4-stars by at least 1 of the agencies. And that's just the folks who are on the team currently. I'm sure you know several of our players currently in the NFL, including 1 guy that was ranked #1200 in the country who is on a $50 million contract right now. But I wouldn't include him on your list as he was barely a 3-star guy.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
Fake News.

Anybody remotely close to the program over the last 5, 10, and 15 years knows you’re not even remotely accurate here. Not even remotely close. Your assertion is so off base it will ruin your ability to get people to listen to you again.

Get over yourself. People see things differently than you do.

I’m still not sure how anyone can say we don’t have both an institutional issue and a coaching, but I don’t go around saying nobody will ever be able to take those who disagree with me seriously. Very dramatic.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
Ok, so first our recruiting is not the same as under those other coaches. 2nd we are way behind in resources compared to other programs, this was not the case under those other coaches. If you look at a constant theme, the more we have fallen behind in resources the more games we have started to lose. You act as what you are saying is a fact, yet you have no hard evidence for it, that’s called an opinion. You are choosing to not acknowledge that resources do matter. It’s funny, because I’m kind of in the middle, you have those who say it’s all coach and those who say it’s not coach at all, or at least that’s how it comes across. What I can’t seem to understand though is this, the ones who blame CPJ for pretty much all of it and say it’s coaching have literally no facts, it’s just opinions. At least the other side can show proff that teams who spend more and have better resources generally do better. I think blame is on both sides, CPJ could change things up imo, but the program could help him out in allowing him to have better resources to help succeed such as better staffing and more of it. I actually think I’m one of the few that’s in the middle of this.

Let me ask you a question though, I’ve asked this a lot to those who only blame CPJ but every time I ask it gets ignored. I’ll give the short version. Let’s say you are a manager of a sales company, is it fair for your boss to want you to match a competitor company in sales when they have double the sales guys, more money, and nicer product?

I agree with you. I feel like probably the majority of fans do as well and are able to acknowledge both (1) that CPJ needs to be doing better and has definite blame for the recent lack of success and (2) we are way behind on resources and funding and this significantly contributes to the problem.

In fact, I have always been surprised that we seemingly over-achieve compared to Tech's academic peers. Lets look at other STEM schools (schools that have a majority focus on science, technology, engineering and mathematics) and see how we compare to our peers in football. According to Forbes, this is the list of top 25 STEM universities in the US:

1. Massachusetts Institute of Technology
2. California Institute of Technology
3. Harvey Mudd College
4. Johns Hopkins University
5. United States Naval Academy
6. United States Air Force Academy
7. Carnegie Mellon University
8. Cooper Union for the Advancement of Science and Art
9. United States Coast Guard Academy
10. Lehigh University
11. University of Rochester
12. Georgia Institute of Technology
13. Case Western Reserve University
14. Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
15. Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology
16. Colorado School of Mines
17. Worcester Polytechnic Institute
18. University of Portland
19. Stevens Institute of Technology
20. University of Tulsa
21. Stony Brook University
22. Clarkson University
23. Illinois Institute of Technology
24. Drexel University
25. Missouri University of Science and Technology

Can anyone figure out the giant outlier in terms of NCAAF performance?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/cartercoudriet/2018/08/20/top-25-stem-colleges-2018/#3a54bf751f8b

Deleted member 2897

I agree with you. I feel like probably the majority of fans do as well and are able to acknowledge both (1) that CPJ needs to be doing better and has definite blame for the recent lack of success and (2) we are way behind on resources and funding and this significantly contributes to the problem.

In fact, I have always been surprised that we seemingly over-achieve compared to Tech's academic peers. Lets look at other STEM schools (schools that have a majority focus on science, technology, engineering and mathematics) and see how we compare to our peers in football. According to Forbes, this is the list of top 25 STEM universities in the US:

3. Harvey Mudd College
10. Lehigh University
20. University of Tulsa
22. Clarkson University
24. Drexel University

https://www.forbes.com/sites/cartercoudriet/2018/08/20/top-25-stem-colleges-2018/#3a54bf751f8b

"Lehigh! Lehigh! Our athletic budget ain't knee high!"

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
We have 9 guys on defense rated 4-stars by at least 1 of the agencies. And that's just the folks who are on the team currently. I'm sure you know several of our players currently in the NFL, including 1 guy that was ranked #1200 in the country who is on a $50 million contract right now. But I wouldn't include him on your list as he was barely a 3-star guy.
I missed noticing the 4-star behemoth our defense has become. My bad.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
I’m not a big fan of Malzahn but he might be good for GT. Regardless, I think Malzahn would be considered an upper-tier coach and I’m not convinced that GT would be able to, or want to, pay the money for an upper-tier coach. I think you can forget getting any coach who coached a top 10 team in the past decade. I hope I’m proven wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You're probably right GT will most likely probably concentrate on head coaches like Memphis head coach Mike Norvell,Scott Satterfield of Appalachian State,Neal Brown of Troy,John Grass Jacksonville State,Mike Houston of James Madison or an assistant like LSU Assistant Head Coach-Defensive Coordinator Dave Aranda or Florida Defensive Coordinator Todd Grantham.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
You're probably right GT will most likely probably concentrate on head coaches like Memphis head coach Mike Norvell,Scott Satterfield of Appalachian State,Neal Brown of Troy,John Grass Jacksonville State,Mike Houston of James Madison or an assistant like LSU Assistant Head Coach-Defensive Coordinator Dave Aranda or Florida Defensive Coordinator Todd Grantham.

Todd Grantham??????? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
What's it like to wake up every day and try and find something to be miserable and complain about?
I understand your point. I am not a GT basher and I do not want to fire CPJ. But, there is something wrong right now and I think most of us want to see improvements without firing the HC. Saying that we cannot recruit because of our curriculum or high academic standards or admin support casts aside the very recent past. The 2007 recruiting class was loaded with studs, including several guys who played extremely well under the CPJ offense.

I put Calvin Johnson on that list, but the 2004 class was a near bust. I am not blind to the realities.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer

3. Harvey Mudd College
10. Lehigh University
20. University of Tulsa
22. Clarkson University
24. Drexel University

I always thought the US Military Academy had a very good engineering program

https://www.usma.edu/cie/SitePages/Home.aspx

Animal02

Banned

3. Harvey Mudd College
10. Lehigh University
20. University of Tulsa
22. Clarkson University
24. Drexel University

I am surprised that West Point did not make the list.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
I see Lane Kiffen being thrown around a lot from fans but is past off field issues are something I’m sure no one at Tech wants to deal with. We are still feeling the effects of the Pastner/Bell/Labarrie issues. I don’t think TS or the AA want to go down that road again. Just my opinion. Now if none of this Basketball stuff had happened then maybe Kiffen would be a name that could be legit.

Deleted member 2897

I understand your point. I am not a GT basher and I do not want to fire CPJ. But, there is something wrong right now and I think most of us want to see improvements without firing the HC. Saying that we cannot recruit because of our curriculum or high academic standards or admin support casts aside the very recent past. The 2007 recruiting class was loaded with studs, including several guys who played extremely well under the CPJ offense.

I put Calvin Johnson on that list, but the 2004 class was a near bust. I am not blind to the realities.

I mean, we just held Duke to 28 points despite special teams and the offense giving them a short field multiple times...including starting 1st and goal from our 5. Duke had 304 yards of offense. Daniel Jones' QBR was 49. Duke averaged 3.0 yards per rush. Yet another game to me where the defense played more than good enough for us to win. Same with Pitt too...and I'd even argue against USF with the multiple KO return touchdowns. USF offense scored on 5 of 12 possessions. It wasn't a great performance, but it should have been enough to give us a chance to win.

Status
Not open for further replies.