Paul Johnson time frame.

What gets CPJ fired or encouraged to resign?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
You may be right. But it's hard to evaluate without objective measures. It just appears to me that our teams are not as disciplined as others. That's all.

I am not sure how "hard" CPJ is being on his coaches and players, if that is your measuring stick for him being obsessed. Either way, when the team fumbles or has stupid penalties, the buck stops with the HC.

On another note, in respect to sa(t)an, I met one of his ex-assistant's wife in Bowling Green, Ky, a few years back. She said "we would never work for that man again". I asked why, and she explained that during the season, he did not even understand why his assistant coaches needed to attend family funerals. She said, "don't get me wrong, we appreciate what coaching under sa(t)an did for her husband's career, but they would never do it again." You are right about him being obsessed. It reminded me about what I have read about Coach Bobby Knight when he was at Indiana. If they lost a game, his coaches knew they were NOT going to bed or leaving the offices that night. He is a 24/7 micro-manager, and my guess is that Coach Johnson does have a life outside of his job, even to some degree, during the season. It will be hard to find someone like sa(t)an with our budget, but we can look.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I am not sure how "hard" CPJ is being on his coaches and players, if that is your measuring stick for him being obsessed. Either way, when the team fumbles or has stupid penalties, the buck stops with the HC.

On another note, in respect to sa(t)an, I met one of his ex-assistant's wife in Bowling Green, Ky, a few years back. She said "we would never work for that man again". I asked why, and she explained that during the season, he did not even understand why his assistant coaches needed to attend family funerals. She said, "don't get me wrong, we appreciate what coaching under sa(t)an did for her husband's career, but they would never do it again." You are right about him being obsessed. It reminded me about what I have read about Coach Bobby Knight when he was at Indiana. If they lost a game, his coaches knew they were NOT going to bed or leaving the offices that night. He is a 24/7 micro-manager, and my guess is that Coach Johnson does have a life outside of his job, even to some degree, during the season. It will be hard to find someone like sa(t)an with our budget, but we can look.

I don't think this is unusual. I knew a partner at one of the top law firms in Atlanta and Christmas was considered a workday. He saw a lawyer leaving at 5 and went up to her and asked her, "If you don't have enough to do, we can find something." He routinely expected 12-14 hour days. Every day.

Milwaukee

Banned
I don't think this is unusual. I knew a partner at one of the top law firms in Atlanta and Christmas was considered a workday. He saw a lawyer leaving at 5 and went up to her and asked her, "If you don't have enough to do, we can find something." He routinely expected 12-14 hour days. Every day.

He sounds like some miserable crummy office manager at a firm, not a partner at a top law firm.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer

Yes, I have always been a 10-12 hour person myself (with some work on weekends), and our VP is a 120-140 hour a week guy - 7/24. I believe CPJ does work a lot of extra hours, but I don't believe he forgets he has a family during the season - like you said, mercenaries like sa(t)an are singularly focused, with everything else can "go to hades" in their minds. We can probably get one of those young whipper snappers for a few years, but if he has success, he is gone. I hate going through coach after coach after coach, but I do understand that our current performance is unacceptable.

Here's the short list from CBS. Personally, we need Lane Kiffin. We will probably get Ken N.

1. Lane Kiffin, Florida Atlantic coach:

2. Mike Norvell, Memphis coach:

3. Greg Schiano, Ohio State defensive coordinator:

4. Neal Brown, Troy coach:

5. Ken Niumatalolo, Navy coach:

Honorable Mention: Mike Elko, Texas A&M defensive coordinator; Scott Satterfield, Appalachian State coach, Jason Candle, Toledo coach; Pete Kwiatkowski, Washington defensive coordinator

you may be right and that will be a death knell for GT football. The absolute last thing we need to do is continue this scheme with another service-academy coach.

slugboy

Staff member
Yes, I have always been a 10-12 hour person myself (with some work on weekends), and our VP is a 120-140 hour a week guy - 7/24. I believe CPJ does work a lot of extra hours, but I don't believe he forgets he has a family during the season - like you said, mercenaries like sa(t)an are singularly focused, with everything else can "go to hades" in their minds. We can probably get one of those young whipper snappers for a few years, but if he has success, he is gone. I hate going through coach after coach after coach, but I do understand that our current performance is unacceptable.

Reddit thread on how many hours a coach works: .

From what I understand, you don't see much of your family during the season, unless they're visiting you.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Y'all keep coming up with coaches we ain't going to get.

So I say we go after the Head Coach of North Dakota State, I have no idea who it is but if he can get players to come play in North Dakota I have to think he can recruit.

Mike find out who it is

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer

So I say we go after the Head Coach of North Dakota State, I have no idea who it is but if he can get players to come play in North Dakota I have to think he can recruit.

Mike find out who it is
Chris Klieman his head coaching record at North Dakota State is 60-6:cool: His only bad season was coaching Loras College to a 3-7 record in 2005.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer

Mike find out who it is

Of course you’re right. But, there’s nothing like pursuing that one coach who would transform our program. But hey ... even LSU settled.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Let me start by saying I like CPJ I think he has done what Tech wants him to do. To bad they don't want to see him win but I'm sure he has done what they want. I have no idea if he will be back next year or if we will have a new coach. But I will back whoever is the coach till they lose a game. That would be kind of hard make it 2 games. I could go 3 games if I drink a lot.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Let me start by saying I like CPJ I think he has done what Tech wants him to do. To bad they don't want to see him win but I'm sure he has done what they want. I have no idea if he will be back next year or if we will have a new coach. But I will back whoever is the coach till they lose a game. That would be kind of hard make it 2 games. I could go 3 games if I drink a lot.

Auburn is on the verge of firing Malzahn.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Saban looked that same way at Kirby Smart, and every other coach there.

Don’t know if Saban throws players under the bus or not.

Well, the story among Florida fans was that when Urban left because of "health reasons" that were caused by the players doing what they do so Gator fans said that the players gave Urban heart problems but at Alabama Saban gives the players heart problems. Lord only knows what he does to his assistants.

Status
Not open for further replies.