Paul Johnson time frame.

What gets CPJ fired or encouraged to resign?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Assistants cost money. For example Paul Johnson wanted to keep Coach Kelly as a DC but the boosters wouldn't pay. Groh was hired because UVA was paying most of his salary. Teddy was the only guy who got money and I think we know why. CPJ has two guys who are head coaches now, Kelly was a position coach and later DC at FSU and now ST/DB coach at UT, Cook was OC at Southern. He can pick talented guys, but part of it is having the $$$ to hire them from the boosters.

Do our boosters pay operating expenses? I figured they just provided capital donations and that the GTAA paid for coaches out of revenue from operations. Other than A-T, I've don't think I have ever had a request for $$$.

bikeseat

GT Athlete
Do our boosters pay operating expenses? I figured they just provided capital donations and that the GTAA paid for coaches out of revenue from operations. Other than A-T, I've don't think I have ever had a request for $$$.

certain boosters can earmark cash for very specific things. Generally those type of donations aren't widely solicited

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
Objection, your honor. Defense is using conjecture rather than fact. Plus, he's willfully ignoring that almost all of our offensive output worth mentioning has come against the literally the #93 team in the country (Loserville, on the verge of firing their coach) and #126 team Bowling Green, who just DID fire their coach. Against the 2 good teams we've played, one of which has equal talent, the O has completely shat the bed!

Additionally, in the year 2018, this scheme and coach steadfastly refuse to instill any sort of "option", (pardon the pun, yer honor) for scoring quickly. We have no Hurry-up offense, we do not no-huddle, we don't have a shotgun, and we still run in plays from the sidelines even in the most-obvious situations that require urgency. As a result, when down more than a single TD in the 4th qtr, we are effectively beaten. I'd like to introduce the recent 4th qtr vs Duke as evidence, Yer Honor. Down 21 pts with the ball, we took over half the qtr to score a TD. At no point was any urgency shown. Any recruits watching this, esp. of the WR variety, had to be puzzled as to why we literally chose to not use a system that would've possibly allowed us to win the game, rather than the snail's pace offense we did use. Frankly your honor, it was embarrassing to watch.

The Scheme and its coach are indeed to blame. No one wants to play or watch an offense that runs the ball 70 times/game and the offense itself can no longer beat the Dukes and PITTs of the conference, much less the elite teams. Pointing to a once-in-5-year success rate is not the way to run a P5 program, as evidenced by the thousands of empty seats last Saturday at Homecoming.

That the Prosecution doesn't see change occurring until after the end of next year is also irrelevant, yer honor!

The prosecution rests.

Your honor, I would like to have opposing counsel's entire opening statement, with the exception of "thank you," stricken from the record as argumentative opinion with only a few self-serving cherry picked facts.

Last edited:

slugboy

Staff member
Assistants cost money. For example Paul Johnson wanted to keep Coach Kelly as a DC but the boosters wouldn't pay. Groh was hired because UVA was paying most of his salary. Teddy was the only guy who got money and I think we know why. CPJ has two guys who are head coaches now, Kelly was a position coach and later DC at FSU and now ST/DB coach at UT, Cook was OC at Southern. He can pick talented guys, but part of it is having the $$$ to hire them from the boosters.
I don't think it was money with Kelly--I think the boosters didn't believe he was up to the DC job and wanted someone else. There were words to that effect from CPJ at the time--he liked him, and wanted to keep him, but that it wasn't going to happen at this time.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
I think the school can legally only pay a certain max amount of money ($350,000 for a head coach I think, but I may be wrong on that number). The rest of a coach's salary comes from boosters and other work arounds like apparel and camp fees and stuff. Boosters pay a huge % of it though (I consider things like the AT Fund boosters here since it's all donation based).

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
I don't think it was money with Kelly--I think the boosters didn't believe he was up to the DC job and wanted someone else. There were words to that effect from CPJ at the time--he liked him, and wanted to keep him, but that it wasn't going to happen at this time.

Kelly was garbage here, garbage at FSU and will turn out to be trash at UT as well.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Where is Kelly , what s his title, how is he doing ?
How bout Pelton?

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Reading some articles on Alabama a short while ago, the writers basically said, it was Nick Saban's attention to detail AND the fact he personally selected the staff and set the expectations ... that makes for a winning combo. I get the impression CPJ hires, but may not challenge his staff and is loyal to a fault. The head coach as CEO.

I don't know if this is a fair comparison. You would NOT believe the amount of $$ that sa(t)an can spend on assistants, recruiting, etc. It is like comparing apples and acorns, really. We are trying to play big-boy football with a shoe string budget, comparatively.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I don't know if this is a fair comparison. You would NOT believe the amount of $$ that sa(t)an can spend on assistants, recruiting, etc. It is like comparing apples and acorns, really. We are trying to play big-boy football with a shoe string budget, comparatively.

Not really what I meant. Let's say we had $50 million for staff. Even then, CPJ would still have to set a direction, hold people accountable, and fire them if necessary. Yes, Bama has more money ... but Saban is laser focused on winning. I think CPJ wants to win, but I don't think he's obsessed with it.

Saban is never satisfied. He wants to run 80 perfectly executed plays every time he hits the field. His pressers are hilarious ... after they blow someone out 63-7 ... he'll still say, "We have a lot of room to improve. We're not there yet ..."

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
What about Al Golden as head coach after CPJ retires? He’s young and had some success recruiting and has a good bit of P-5 experience. I don’t remember any scandals at Dah-U while he was there. I think we could probably afford him too. He’s currently a LB coach for the Detroit Lions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slugboy

Staff member
What about Al Golden as head coach after CPJ retires? He’s young and had some success recruiting and has a good bit of P-5 experience. I don’t remember any scandals at Dah-U while he was there. I think we could probably afford him too. He’s currently a LB coach for the Detroit Lions.

If you can't win with Miami recruits, I don't know what to say.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer

Impossible to predict. TN went on a year long rant over John Gruden ...

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Not really what I meant. Let's say we had $50 million for staff. Even then, CPJ would still have to set a direction, hold people accountable, and fire them if necessary. Yes, Bama has more money ... but Saban is laser focused on winning. I think CPJ wants to win, but I don't think he's obsessed with it.

Saban is never satisfied. He wants to run 80 perfectly executed plays every time he hits the field. His pressers are hilarious ... after they blow someone out 63-7 ... he'll still say, "We have a lot of room to improve. We're not there yet ..."

I totally respect your opinion, but we will disagree on this one. I think if CPJ had the level of talent that sa(t)an possesses, he would be EXACTLY the same as sa(t)an.

I think he has said, and correctly, that for us to beat anyone on our schedule, we must play pretty much mistake-free football. Because Coach Johnson knows he does not have raw talent to run over teams, he is more realistic, but I truly believe his desire to win and competitive spirit is just as big as any other coach in America. What would make you think otherwise? If he screamed and yelled during a press conference? I just don't know how we can read into his personality whether he is obsessed with winning or not. I don't think PJ is satistifed ever, as well.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I totally respect your opinion, but we will disagree on this one. I think if CPJ had the level of talent that sa(t)an possesses, he would be EXACTLY the same as sa(t)an.

I think he has said, and correctly, that for us to beat anyone on our schedule, we must play pretty much mistake-free football. Because Coach Johnson knows he does not have raw talent to run over teams, he is more realistic, but I truly believe his desire to win and competitive spirit is just as big as any other coach in America. What would make you think otherwise? If he screamed and yelled during a press conference? I just don't know how we can read into his personality whether he is obsessed with winning or not. I don't think PJ is satistifed ever, as well.

You may be right. But it's hard to evaluate without objective measures. It just appears to me that our teams are not as disciplined as others. That's all.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
If you can't win with Miami recruits, I don't know what to say.

We desperately need help recruiting and I think he could be good for us in that area.

I’m at a loss. I think CPJ’s replacement would ideally be youngish, energetic, a good recruiter, personable, a proven winner, P-5 head coaching experience, AND would want the job for what we can pay. I really haven’t thought of many that check those boxes.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
We desperately need help recruiting and I think he could be good for us in that area.

I’m at a loss. I think CPJ’s replacement would ideally be youngish, energetic, a good recruiter, personable, a proven winner, P-5 head coaching experience, AND would want the job for what we can pay. I really haven’t thought of many that check those boxes.

I doubt Mark Richt makes it past the 2020 season with how Miami is doing

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer

Here's the short list from CBS. Personally, we need Lane Kiffin. We will probably get Ken N.

1. Lane Kiffin, Florida Atlantic coach:

2. Mike Norvell, Memphis coach:

3. Greg Schiano, Ohio State defensive coordinator:

4. Neal Brown, Troy coach:

5. Ken Niumatalolo, Navy coach:

Honorable Mention: Mike Elko, Texas A&M defensive coordinator; Scott Satterfield, Appalachian State coach, Jason Candle, Toledo coach; Pete Kwiatkowski, Washington defensive coordinator

Status
Not open for further replies.