Paul Johnson time frame.

What gets CPJ fired or encouraged to resign?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Kiffin wouldn't come to GT because he wouldn't be able to recruit the way he'd want. He'd actually have to work and evaluate a ton and not being able to go after the best talent possible would work him to much.

My choice is #1 Goose Godsey
and someone put me on Mike MacIntyre and he had done pretty good at a P5 school
Scott Satterfield and Ken Wisenhunt are my other two.
Honorable Mention Mike Houston at James Madison

Whisenhunt has zero interest in college game and I've never heard Goose express any interest in leaving the pros. Satterfield and Houston I could embrace

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Kiffin wouldn't come to GT because he wouldn't be able to recruit the way he'd want. He'd actually have to work and evaluate a ton and not being able to go after the best talent possible would work him to much.

My choice is #1 Goose Godsey
and someone put me on Mike MacIntyre and he had done pretty good at a P5 school
Scott Satterfield and Ken Wisenhunt are my other two.
Honorable Mention Mike Houston at James Madison
Another head coach i like is Kyle Whittingham of Utah,he's a very good head coach and would be a great hire even though he's 58.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Kiffin's lack of ethics don't bother you in any way? Friends of mine/family very close to UT absolutely despise him.

He may be a total scumbag but doesn’t it seem like some weird stuff must be going on at Tennessee? After Fulmer, they plunged into and below mediocrity with several different coaches, Kiffin included. I know UT fans wanted to fire Fulmer in order to go to the level and they did...to the next level down. I bet they fell with really good recruiting classes too.

An excerpt from Wikipedia (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phillip_Fulmer). Would we hire Kiffin to right our ship? Would we regret parting ways with CPJ? I bet many UT fans missed Fulmer.

The Vols started the 2008 season as #18 in the country. After a dismal 3–6 start in 2008, Fulmer came under increased scrutiny from Tennessee fans,[104][105] leaving skepticism about how long he would remain Tennessee's head football coach despite having just received a contract extension after the 2007 season.[106][107] Tennessee athletic director Mike Hamilton finally notified Fulmer of his dismissal on November 2, 2008. The next day, he agreed to step down as head coach following the season. That week, the Vols suffered a loss at the hands of Wyoming, a 26-point underdog.[108] Fulmer completed his long tenure at the University of Tennessee with a 28–10 win over Kentucky on November 29, 2008.[109][110]

Lane Kiffin was hired by Mike Hamilton to succeed Fulmer as the head coach of the Tennessee Volunteers.[111]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
He may be a total scumbag but doesn’t it seem like some weird stuff must be going on at Tennessee? After Fulmer, they plunged into and below mediocrity with several different coaches, Kiffin included. I know UT fans wanted to fire Fulmer in order to go to the level and they did...to the next level down. I bet they fell with really good recruiting classes too.

An excerpt from Wikipedia (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phillip_Fulmer). Would we hire Kiffin to right our ship? Would we regret parting ways with CPJ? I bet many UT fans missed Fulmer.

The Vols started the 2008 season as #18 in the country. After a dismal 3–6 start in 2008, Fulmer came under increased scrutiny from Tennessee fans,[104][105] leaving skepticism about how long he would remain Tennessee's head football coach despite having just received a contract extension after the 2007 season.[106][107] Tennessee athletic director Mike Hamilton finally notified Fulmer of his dismissal on November 2, 2008. The next day, he agreed to step down as head coach following the season. That week, the Vols suffered a loss at the hands of Wyoming, a 26-point underdog.[108] Fulmer completed his long tenure at the University of Tennessee with a 28–10 win over Kentucky on November 29, 2008.[109][110]

Lane Kiffin was hired by Mike Hamilton to succeed Fulmer as the head coach of the Tennessee Volunteers.[111]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The whole UT situation was a clusterf**k, my nephew is close to the program (former player) and he is happy Fulmer is back but is watching things very closely

1939hotmagic

Jolly Good Fellow
I have seen this scenerios in industry. When a company is on top with products or services and over time they lose their position to a new younger company, they tend to think they just need to work their process harder to regain their position. The problem is their process forgot to innovate and change with the competition. I'm afraid PJ thinks his problem is that he just needs to work his system harder. No innovation or changes are necessary. His system worked so it must not be done correctly. I just want him to make a few changes. Reevaluate. Have his DC critique his O. Bobby Ross and GOL did that. I really want him to succeed. He has been good for our program for 10 years. If he can't change then maybe time to go.

A hearty amen to so much of the above quote. Some changes, not necessarily a complete offensive overhaul (which he'd never do anyway). If it's third-and-forever -- shotgun, please; why make a pass-challenged QB drop back while reading progressions, when the defense's ears are pinned back? Also: Remember the waggle? Not the mere rollout pass, but when a lineman or linemen pull, lead the QB to the flat, and the QB either picks his target or tucks the ball and runs; waggle plays are standard in run-heavy Wing-T offenses, perhaps Tech does use some waggle stuff, but -- much? (You former players and coaches, do comment, I'm just a football layperson.) And when was the last time Tech ran a play using the shovel pass? [Caveat: Yes, if CPJ doesn't believe he has the players to run such plays, well, that pretty much ends the conversation.]

A fine small-college coach of considerable fame in the midwest, the late "Red" Faught, later in his career used plenty of run-and-shoot stuff out of the Tech/Navy "base" double-slot spread. For all I know, plenty of this stuff might be in the Tech "playbook." Still, my fellow mere-fans might find this Faught playbook interesting:
http://www.playbookexchange.net/playbooks/Offense/01120201-Georgetown.pdf

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
The whole UT situation was a clusterf**k, my nephew is close to the program (former player) and he is happy Fulmer is back but is watching things very closely
Tennessee accidentally made a strong hire in Pruitt;) Coach Pruitt is even less friendly to the media than Paul Johnson and you can tell he hates interviews,press conferences and coaches shows:LOL:

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
A hearty amen to so much of the above quote. Some changes, not necessarily a complete offensive overhaul (which he'd never do anyway). If it's third-and-forever -- shotgun, please; why make a pass-challenged QB drop back while reading progressions, when the defense's ears are pinned back? Also: Remember the waggle? Not the mere rollout pass, but when a lineman or linemen pull, lead the QB to the flat, and the QB either picks his target or tucks the ball and runs; waggle plays are standard in run-heavy Wing-T offenses, perhaps Tech does use some waggle stuff, but -- much? (You former players and coaches, do comment, I'm just a football layperson.) And when was the last time Tech ran a play using the shovel pass? [Caveat: Yes, if CPJ doesn't believe he has the players to run such plays, well, that pretty much ends the conversation.]

A fine small-college coach of considerable fame in the midwest, the late "Red" Faught, later in his career used plenty of run-and-shoot stuff out of the Tech/Navy "base" double-slot spread. For all I know, plenty of this stuff might be in the Tech "playbook." Still, my fellow mere-fans might find this Faught playbook interesting:
http://www.playbookexchange.net/playbooks/Offense/01120201-Georgetown.pdf

Thanks for the content.
I will send to my son who coaches h s as they lost their best r b and this could give him some ideas.

I like the suggested tacti- when in doubt screen pass === I add = down field blocking is legal. Let's try it on Saturday!

I am getting some optimistic thoughts - then I close my eyes and I only see orange.
Go Jackets

GT05

Jolly Good Fellow
I keep hearing “loyalty” concerning CPJ and Tech, didn’t his lawyer reach out to Tennessee about a possible opening coming up after our game? Then he threw the lawyer under the bus and said he had nothing to do with it...do y’all really believe that? There’s a trend that I see with him pointing fingers at players and other coaches, and a lawyer.
I’m over this era of Tech football. I hardly ever post on here but I’ve given him the benefit of the doubt from how most on here have had his back. I respect what’s he has done here but it’s gotten beyond stale.

Status
Not open for further replies.