Paul Johnson time frame.

What gets CPJ fired or encouraged to resign?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I personally dont think CPJ will step down. He is very stubborn and I have seen nothing in his character that says he will quit. If I am right, then it is up to Tstan if he can stomach/pay for the buyout.

TStan impresses me with a long-term view and I think he and CPJ already had this conversation before the contract extension. CPJ is going to stay in some capacity through 2022. And as part of that, he'll assist in the transition to a new coach. TStan could just order him to hire an OC and make staff changes next year as a placeholder, but TStan is mindful of the costs. As long as he is communicating this to the money crowd, they won't be surprised.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
I would not be surprised if you are right in that they have had the conversation. But I don't think that once a new HC is hired he will stay in any way associated with the football program — maybe in another GTAA job, but not football. That would be too awkward for both him and the new guy. I also can't imagine that he would be able to work with an OC, since he has done that job himself forever. There would be nothing but arguments on the sideline.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
Syracuse changed coaches a few years ago. With a guy dino b out if a lesser conference.

A little before that we beat them 56 to 0.

Perhaps it was when the coach was fired, Coach said its pretty sad a coach gets fired when it's a structural problem. Changing the coach won't solve that problem. I remember that being the first time Coach hinted at our structural issues.

Syracuse runs a pass offense. Just added some young quality guys, strength, etc but also went south Houston and got a long time hs coach to handle the qb.

So far so good (3- 0( have had some big victories over some top programs. Probably won't last, but at least they are doing way better.

They will have a better year than us. Without of doubt. Who would ever think Syracuse could finish with a better record in the acc? Honestly I just feel CPJ is out of touch. Kids want glitz, glamour, fame, and to be a 1st round pick in the nfl. If you want to win championships and a lot of them, look at what other schools who have done it. I know we cannot compare to Alabama. Its apples to broccoli, but we aren't even trying to trend towards dominance. Right now we are just happy to string a good series together, let alone win a game or think of a bowl. I remember a bowl was a certain, acccg was the question mark. If you throw out the outlier of 2014, we have been awful. Sure, 1 play away, 1 missed defensive assignment away. It gets old. He think we will get some crazy player to buy in to the scheme but he won't. Hes had a decade. Does graham come in an make us competitive? Who knows. We haven't even seen him once in gameplay. And what happens when he leaves? Back to this. Just because we convince one special talent kid to come play this system doesnt mean they will start to flock because we won 9 games. If you gave me an offer of GT, Louisville, Syracuse, boston college, and say vandy. GT is last or 2nd to last on that list for me to develop my talent and to have a chance at winning.

Just saying, I think CPJ has done well. I just don't want to hang on to a bad relationship just because we are comfortable. That's when you die.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I would not be surprised if you are right in that they have had the conversation. But I don't think that once a new HC is hired he will stay in any way associated with the football program — maybe in another GTAA job, but not football. That would be too awkward for both him and the new guy. I also can't imagine that he would be able to work with an OC, since he has done that job himself forever. There would be nothing but arguments on the sideline.

Hard to say. Fulmer reported directly to the Chancellor at UT and of course, was brought back to argue the need to fire Currie. Don't know if that would work at Tech. I do like the idea of an orderly transition rather than abrupt change though.

GTFLETCH

Banned
Originally Posted by 18in32 on the Stingtalk Board
Link
https://stingtalk.com/board/threads/state-of-cpjs-contract-for-those-who-care.98109/

State of CPJ's Contract for those Who Care

Termination Provisions

(1) He gets paid $1,000,000 for each season left on the contract if fired without cause. The contract runs through 2022, so if we fire him after this season, he gets $4,000,000. In terms of the general context of CFB coaching contracts, I think that's a pretty favorable buyout relative to his salary. His total compensation for 2018 is a little over $3,000,000, and it rises to $3.4 million by 2022. So we can fire him at a third of the cost to pay him to coach. Usually you've got to pay 100% of unpaid salary.

Curiously, CPJ's attorney overlooked a drafting ambiguity (IMHO) in this separation clause provision. The provision specifically determines how much CPJ is paid if fired without cause "at the end of the 2018 season." But what if he's fired without cause *before* the end of the 2018 season? CPJ probably wins that ultimately at trial, but still it creates an issue to fight over and reduces the settlement value in the event there's anything else to also fight over.

FWIW, I think there are some ST posters who are bizarrely fixated on CPJ's buyout, and seem to think there's something meaningful about it. It's a very small buyout relative to his salary and other coaches' contracts. It is so small that there's no way it's a major consideration for TStan as he evaluates the situation. After all, Football is responsible for 90% of the GTAA budget. While the separation premium is a lot of money to you and me, it's just the cost of doing business (and preserving your business) if you're TStan.

I think it is highly likely that whatever happens this year, CPJ remains our coach next year, just because of how strongly TStan has supported him so far, and because of the 2009 & 2014 legacies. That said, if TStan thinks CPJ is not beneficial to GT football on balance, he's gone, regardless of the buyout. Think about it – there's no way in this era that any coach actually coaches out his contract – that just tells recruits that change is coming and hamstrings recruiting. So the question for the AD is always, "Do I give the HC *one* more year to right the ship, and what's the one year going to cost me either way?" In this case, the *one* year costs $1 mil. That's a tiny amount in CFB today, even for a modestly-resourced program like ours.

(2) Interestingly there's a separate "early retirement" provision. If CPJ tells the GTAA before the end of the season that he's going to retire at the end of the season, then the GTAA agrees to pay him $1 mil. Typically CPJ wouldn't get paid anything if he chooses to quit the job, but I guess we wanted to incentivize him to tell us in advance and allow GT the best possible chance to find a new coach. We don't want him to decide in the middle of May that he's not coming back... we want him to decide that in the middle of October, so we can be fully researched and loaded when the coaching search market is at its peak in Dec/Jan.

(3) In the event CPJ were to take a job with another FBS team before the end of the contract, he would have to pay the GTAA $750k. Interestingly, he pays no penalty if he takes a job coaching at a different level (NFL, FCS, Div. II, high school!) or if he takes any job other than head coach. So he can become a 'special consultant' at Ga So (or whatever) and pay no penalty. (Of course, he can collect the $1 mil described above just be characterizing it as an early retirement, anyhow.)

"Exemplary Performance"

Not that this is particularly relevant to our current situation, but here are the bonuses CPJ is eligible for, since I happen to have the contract open in front of me at the moment...

(4) Graduation Success Rate – Any year the team has a graduation rate above 70% (as calculated by the NCAA), he gets $140,000.

(5) APR – He gets bonuses of $65k, $90k, and $115k for APR rates of 930+, 940+ and 950+.

(6) Wins – He gets bonuses of $50k, $75k and $100k if the team finishes with 6, 7 or 8+ wins. [Aside, a bonus for 6 wins? That's "exemplary performance" nowadays? Bad look, IMHO.]

(7) ACC – He gets $100k for winning the ACC.

(8) Bowls – He gets... $250k for making the CFP, $250k for winning the CFP, $200k for making one of the other Big 6 bowls, $125 for making the Citrus or Russell Athletic bowls, $100k for making the Belk/Sun/Pinstripe/Music City or Taxslayer bowls, $75k for making the Military, Independence, Detroit, Bitcoin, or Birmingham bowls, and $75k for winning a bowl.

(9) ACC COTY – He gets $25k for being named the ACC COTY.

(10) COTY – He gets $50k for being named national COTY (Bobby Dodd or otherwise).

(11) Rankings – He gets $10k for finishing in the Top 25, and $50k for finishing in the Top 10.

There is no "beat UGA" bonus. So if CPJ were to maximize his bonuses in one magical season, he'd take home an extra $1,080,000. As I said, I realize this is irrelevant at the moment, but since I had the new contract in front of me, I thought I'd pass it along.

PS. This is one poorly written contract, from a technical drafting perspective. CPJ's lawyer needs a lesson in contract drafting. There are internal inconsistencies and ambiguities that could be a problem in the event of litigation.

PPS. Am I the only one who thinks it's kind of cool that Marvin Lewis signs CPJ's contract?

Jmonty71

Banned
Lane (Friggin) (hop the Train) Kiffin!!! No Thanks!! He would jump ship, as soon as something better came up. Why not have some necromancer reincarnate John Heisman or Bobby Dodd?? LOL At least team would be scared to play us...

grandpa jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Lane (Friggin) (hop the Train) Kiffin!!! No Thanks!! He would jump ship, as soon as something better came up. Why not have some necromancer reincarnate John Heisman or Bobby Dodd?? LOL At least team would be scared to play us...
He has never had a losing season as a college coach

Jmonty71

Banned
I think he gets, at least, one more year to see how the new 3-4 defense will help. Keep in mind, GT has a lot of money tied in with him. I cannot see him losing his job, this year.

BigDaddyBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Cracks me up the people who say no way to Kiffin. It’s the elitist attitude that hurts GT more than you know. While I think no way it happens bc of this line of thinking, look at his resume. Football minds like him enough that not only did an nfl team hire him but so did 2 blue bloods of college football. The best freaking coach in the game jumped to hire him as OC. He is also one if the best coaches with the media I’ve ever seen. Get a clue people, if he’s good enough for Saban he’s good enough for me. He would recruit his butt off.

JDjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Cracks me up the people who say no way to Kiffin. It’s the elitist attitude that hurts GT more than you know. While I think no way it happens bc of this line of thinking, look at his resume. Football minds like him enough that not only did an nfl team hire him but so did 2 blue bloods of college football. The best freaking coach in the game jumped to hire him as OC. He is also one if the best coaches with the media I’ve ever seen. Get a clue people, if he’s good enough for Saban he’s good enough for me. He would recruit his butt off.

Yea my two names that I've been thinking of if we decide to move on have been Kiffin or Charlie Strong. Both are good recruiters, you just have an offensive vs defensive mind. Hell I'd take kiffin as a replacement OC for the falcons too.

Status
Not open for further replies.