Paul Johnson time frame.

What gets CPJ fired or encouraged to resign?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I really think PJ gets another year regardless. It helps get Hewitt off the books and frees up some money plus lowers a buyout. Next year we will break in a new starter at QB. So far Tobias hasn't shown he can pass and LJ isn't getting PT this year. Hard to win with our schedule and inexperienced QB. D might get better with another year. Not sure we should expect ST to be any better. It has never been good in the years without Butker. 2019 will be the season.

If TStan is on top of it, he's already built a slate and is schmoozing potential candidates. When Mullen left MS State for Florida, they announced his replacement almost immediately. TStan should go forth and do likewise.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Rather go after Tee Martin or Major Applewhite.

Going after Tech Men has damn near killed us.

The only competent one was Pepper, but it was done at the wrong place in time.

And we should have also given the job to a former dwag named Mac.
Tee Martin wont be going anywhere. His wife loves LA(and is from LA) and that's why he's turned down a lot of offers to stay there.

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
Whisenhunt ?? Some baggage , but who doesn't have something ?? That , of course, is assuming CPJ does not come back for another year. We may yet turn it around ........

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I really think PJ gets another year regardless. It helps get Hewitt off the books and frees up some money plus lowers a buyout. Next year we will break in a new starter at QB. So far Tobias hasn't shown he can pass and LJ isn't getting PT this year. Hard to win with our schedule and inexperienced QB. D might get better with another year. Not sure we should expect ST to be any better. It has never been good in the years without Butker. 2019 will be the season.

I think you are most likely right short of the wheels totally coming off the rest of the season - attendance wise or wins wise. When Todd started he tried to rebuild the relationship with CPJ that had deteriorated badly under the previous administration and committed to CPJ with new recruiting resources and gave him the OK to go get a new DC. Plus he had to have told Woody CPJ wasn't on a hair trigger and had at least a couple of years to get things right on the D side. Woody wasn't coming if this year was known to be a make or break year.

With the new contract, Todd didn't go crazy on a buy out but set it up so in a year or so it was very manageable. Throw in the capital campaign and needing time to have discussions on the hill/with the prez about recruiting exceptions and it looks to me like Todd was targeting next year as the earliest he would need to make a decision on CPJ. With that I think it is going to take a really off the rails year to see a change this year. But I do expect that next year is going to be known up front as make or break. That alone plus breaking in a new QB may be enough to push CPJ out on his own but IMHO I really don't see Todd doing it this year unless he absolutely has to.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I think TStan would be wise to decide on what kind of program we need to have and then, put in the absolute best infrastructure possible to make that system work. If it is the TO, we need to be the world expert on it and get the best possible coaches, recruiters, trainers, etc ... right now, it feels like it just exists in Paul Johnson's head.

When I ran businesses, I was always amazed at how few executives actually understood the business model or had experience in that model. Yes, they were functionally good at sales, marketing, etc ...but did they really understand how to adjust and work within a total game plan? Not so much.

We have brainiacs at Tech. But all that knowledge seems to stop at the door into the Edge.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
There are good coaches who sometimes just fit better at some schools better than others, ie Strong at USF and Cutcliffe at Duke. Mack was better at UNC but fizzled at UT. We have a unique school so it is important to find a coach that can fit our school culture and appreciates our academic standards. Whoever succeeds PJ at some point will want to feel that they can be successful and that limits a lot of candidates who want minimal entrance standards and big budgets.

He is so worried about the option that the other things fall wayside. Then it shows up when we get torched on a simple assignment. He's become obsessed with his option baby and left everything else behind. He thinks it should come easy, but forgets they are kids and almost need things spoon fed to them.

in the postgame presser, he was complaining about TQ's inability to complete a short pass "while 9 men are stacked in the box".

Well, the poor kid doesn't get much opportunity to throw the damn ball, what do you expect? Plus, he's a converted RB not a true QB. And then you roll the guy to his left and try to make him throw with his right arm....it's just stupid the way we try to pass the ball.

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
I guess “gtpi” isn’t an acronym for Got To Positively Inspire. Geez.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
did you see the level of play in our coaching over the last few games or 10? last game cpj coached was awful. ive been a staunch supporter until now. hope im wrong!

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
did you see the level of play in our coaching over the last few games or 10? last game cpj coached was awful. ive been a staunch supporter until now. hope im wrong!

Yes, I’ve seen that we’ve averaged 32.67 points per game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GT05

Jolly Good Fellow
I’ve heard northwestern’s coach ,Syracuse coach, and Lane Kiffin thrown around, why would they come here?? They’re in better situations where they are. All of us see GT football in a totally different light than the rest of the country. App State? That guy is waiting for a bigger job than here.

Status
Not open for further replies.