Paul Johnson time frame.

What gets CPJ fired or encouraged to resign?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
My question is where does Tstans stand with CPJ. Internally do you think he has a number Johnson must meet or he is out? Does he honor the commitment and keeps him through 2020 regardless if we win 5 games a year of that time?

I'm a firm believer if you don't make change you get left behind. Well there are 3 schools around us taking up talent away from us. State, southern, and now actually kennesaw state is slowly coming into the mix, they have a huge student body.

Change is scary, we can lose CPJ and win only 2-4 games. But to me, if you aren't gunning for a 10 win season and expect that year in and out, then change is needed. We have spent a decade of Johnson trying to recruit guys for his system. I think we are slowly realizing the talent doesnt want to play in this system. Sure we churn out a few pros here and there, but superstar worldbeater kids want to go to a program that will show their skill to the nfl and get them money. We have student athletes at tech and I am extremely proud of that, but we do need the kids that expect to be 1st round picks. If we cant grab 1-2 5 star players and 4-7 four star players in this state then something is wrong. Just observation. I love my team, and I feel the school and fans have convinced themselves we need to settle. I'll settle on 10 win seasons and a fighting chance for undefeated or 11 wins, I cannot settle for 5-8win seasons. That's like saying you can make more money, if you work differently, but you choose to stay poor and struggle because you're comfortable. Then complain about the position you're in. I want the GT to have a little number 5 through 1 next to it in the next 10 years. Let's make that happen.

I definitely don't think he is fired during the season unless it's one of those "finish out year" type of deals. Quite frankly we have no one on the staff that can call the offensive game as good as Johnson unless you think one of his former QBs (Owens, Candeto, Washington) can do so respectably.

Every year there are people clamoring for Coach's job, but this is the first year where it truly feels like it did in 2007 with Gailey. Radakovich was hired in February 2006. He fired Gailey at the end of 2007, so that was 2 seasons, including that 2006 ACCCG team. Stansbury was hired in September 2016 and got started late that season I think. That means he would have 2 full seasons of CPJ to get a graps of where the program is heading. I could see him making a decision at the end of this year regardless of the buyout.

I think most real fans wanted CPJ to succeed here, and he has in small spurts. But for me in particular, I was terrified with how far we'd fall if we were to ever fire him. Our talent level on offense is grossly insufficient to run most other offensive schemes. The thing is, though, this worried me back when our floor seemed to be 6 wins. Now that we have clearly shown that 2-3 wins is easily attainable, I no longer have that fear lol. We can win 2-3 games regardless of the coach at this point, so I think we need to rip the bandaid off and move in another direction with the message crystal clear that a new coach would get 4 years to right the ship.

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
Just a reminder, if CPJ leaves via termination or resignation you guys will be looking for a coach who instills decipline amoung the players. Poor tackling, being out of place and not knowing the snap count are decipline issues not talent issues.

Fixing these will require players to concentrate on football, there are a lot of fans on this site who feel those issues are caused by the coach, I think it’s player dedication myself. Given this are those of you yelling for CPJs head going to actually hold the players feet to the fire ?

I’ve gotten myself in trouble on this board suggesting that it’s the players who are suppose to know where to be - a new coach, of the type you guys describe, will hold players accountable too. So I’m just saying one way or another the team - student athlete will be expected to do more if there is a change.

As far as Woody goes, I agree the LBs are out of place a lot and they are slow, that is a product of not being confident on where to go. I really don’t think it has anything to do with how many stars a player is rated or who they practice against. I think it’s Football acuity. Instincts is what this defense relies on and it’s what CPJ was speaking of when he said it allows the players to think less. We need football intelligence on the field, that may take a while in Woodys new defense - for players who were instructed under the old system. I think that’s the problem with the defense right now, I think some of them are still thinking to much.

Gaps move during the play, some are still rushing to where it was pre snap and that’s why they seem to get caught up in the piles of players at the line, as the RB cuts to the developing gap.
You may very well be right !

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I wish I knew more about the “missed assignments” CPJ is always talking about. Do they forget their assignments or are they not physically able to get into position for their assignments? If it’s the former, could the plays be too complicated? Do they need to be more vanilla?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think he's clarified this before. What I recall is that he states a missed assignment as a player not attempting to do what they're supposed to do. I.e. if you're supposed to block the Mike LB, try to block him. If you are too slow to get there or get physically beat, then yeah IIWII, but if you block the DE instead then what the hell were you thinking?

But that's just it. If what I'm remembering is correct, then how do we have this happening week in and week out? Why do the players not know what to do? How do we improve that?

I heard on the TCU/OSU game the other night that Gary Patterson has the whole team in a theater the night before games with a laser pointer quizzing them on assignments at rapid fire mode. I'm not saying this is what we should necessarily do, but it's at least something different. What do we do to make sure players know their assignments?

DaltonJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Unless this team pulls an upset over a Clemson, VT, Miami or Uga and can somehow win 5-6 more games I think PJ will step down. The last two weeks have been painful to watch. Not only on the field but in the post game videos. The only hope we really have is the team circles the wagons and comes out swinging. But as of right now they look flat out exhausted of it all. Theses still a lot of football left. I’m just hoping he hasn’t lost the locker room and the kids play with some pride. The worst case scenario that could’ve happened early on this year is! Thankfully Dabo respects Paul and he probably won’t embarrass him if the game is well out of hand. If we go out and lose at home like Pitt did to Penn St I can’t see any way he returns next year.

This....We have played 3 games but look like a team at the end of a terrible season and just ready for it to be over. Something is wrong.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
I think he's clarified this before. What I recall is that he states a missed assignment as a player not attempting to do what they're supposed to do. I.e. if you're supposed to block the Mike LB, try to block him. If you are too slow to get there or get physically beat, then yeah IIWII, but if you block the DE instead then what the hell were you thinking?

I mean, I feel like our guys must be pretty smart which would lead me to believe they could figure things like that out if it’s not too complicated. Did you notice how well the O performed when TO was in the game versus the Bulls? I’m guessing vanilla play calls and fewer missed assignments. Maybe the success (3 TDs) has less to do with TO and more to do with the play calling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
I'm sorry, but 10 years into this system and he has guys missing assignments on this level it's a coaching problem. Not a kid problem. No body is that dense that they cannot correct a missed assignment later on. Otherwise we have a bunch of athletes that are not dedicated to his system and are just out there to wing it.

I will say marshall calling his own shots has taken a toll on our line. I believe he disrupts the flow. Sure he may get a first down or pick up 15-20 yards, but it can kill flow. What was good about JT was he was coach first. He listened to CPJ first then if a play broke down he could react well. Marshall looks like he wants to run his own plays out there sometimes.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
This....We have played 3 games but look like a team at the end of a terrible season and just ready for it to be over. Something is wrong.

I think the jerseys changed, but the feeling of last year is still here. We fell apart during the duke game.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I'm sorry, but 10 years into this system and he has guys missing assignments on this level it's a coaching problem. Not a kid problem. No body is that dense that they cannot correct a missed assignment later on. Otherwise we have a bunch of athletes that are not dedicated to his system and are just out there to wing it.

I will say marshall calling his own shots has taken a toll on our line. I believe he disrupts the flow. Sure he may get a first down or pick up 15-20 yards, but it can kill flow. What was good about JT was he was coach first. He listened to CPJ first then if a play broke down he could react well. Marshall looks like he wants to run his own plays out there sometimes.
I know this sounds dumb but every play is design to score touchdown. Now we know that won't happen because every play someone will miss their assignment. It's not just us but every team. What kills you is more than one player missing their assignment on the same play.

grandpa jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Watching attendance as well as record over the last part of this season will be interesting. If games like Duke, Miami and UVA are ghost towns then that may say more than wins and losses. My sense from afar is Todd doesn't want to make a decision this offseason and tried to set the contract up not expecting to or wanting to make a decision/change this offseason. I think he wants to get his ducks in a row with the current fund raising and I expect discussions on admissions with the hill before making any decision/change.

If I am Todd one other thing I look for is what kind of defensive recruits we are starting to get with Woody at the helm. Is there a pick up in talent that is noticable? Won't be the deciding factor but may break a "tie".

It is obvious that PJ's seat is getting warm though not hot yet. I hope the team turns things around.
If his seat is not HOT, then we should drop football.

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer

But that's just it. If what I'm remembering is correct, then how do we have this happening week in and week out? Why do the players not know what to do? How do we improve that?

I heard on the TCU/OSU game the other night that Gary Patterson has the whole team in a theater the night before games with a laser pointer quizzing them on assignments at rapid fire mode. I'm not saying this is what we should necessarily do, but it's at least something different. What do we do to make sure players know their assignments?
I too, have often wondered whether the player can't physically , or just doesn't know, or isn't sure. When the DL shifts prior to the snap , is this the problem - or one of them, at least ?

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
A coworker was a Duke grad in the 80's and he knew several FB players at that time. Duke was pretty bad back then. He said the players attitude was that you may beat me on the field but you will be working for me one day. I hope we are not becoming like that. At least people on this board still care and we have not become apathetic yet.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
A coworker was a Duke grad in the 80's and he knew several FB players at that time. Duke was pretty bad back then. He said the players attitude was that you may beat me on the field but you will be working for me one day. I hope we are not becoming like that. At least people on this board still care and we have not become apathetic yet.

That's basically the georgia tech motto now a days.... I hate it. Let's beat their butt on the field and hire them and pay them 20%less than other because they went to uga haha

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
I think the jerseys changed, but the feeling of last year is still here. We fell apart during the duke game.

It took until the Duke game for the team to fall apart last year. It might be that it has only taken 3 games to get to that point this year. At least, that what I was thinking watching the game Saturday. We looke d lost in all 4 phases of the game (including coaching). We were trying to do something, anything to get some success to build on and kept coming up short.

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
If we win two games and CPJ isn't fired then I then they might as well print game tickets on the receipts at Kroger next season and hope people use them.

The whole problem is we are saying "if we win two games"

The fact that a bowl game is out of the question this early is crazy. The fact that all the trends are moving in the wrong direction.

The fact that I will be surprised if we win three games and not surprised if we don't win another game.

It's a tough time for us Jackets.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Coaches usually know when it's time to go because they see how recruiting is going and who they can interest in the school. PJ knows what is likely to be the state of the program in 2020 better than most of us do.
PM #75 wasn't on Saturday... Listen or read his post game interview.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Syracuse changed coaches a few years ago. With a guy dino b out if a lesser conference.

A little before that we beat them 56 to 0.

Perhaps it was when the coach was fired, Coach said its pretty sad a coach gets fired when it's a structural problem. Changing the coach won't solve that problem. I remember that being the first time Coach hinted at our structural issues.

Syracuse runs a pass offense. Just added some young quality guys, strength, etc but also went south Houston and got a long time hs coach to handle the qb.

So far so good (3- 0( have had some big victories over some top programs. Probably won't last, but at least they are doing way better.

Status
Not open for further replies.