Paul Johnson time frame.

What gets CPJ fired or encouraged to resign?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
Coaches usually know when it's time to go because they see how recruiting is going and who they can interest in the school. PJ knows what is likely to be the state of the program in 2020 better than most of us do.
Unfortunately many of us stubborn types stay past our expiration date. We are like addicted gamblers - just one more hand ( game ) and I can turn this around. However CPJ is making a VERY nice salary for the next 2 years. So which wins out for him ? Reality or Ego ??

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Watching attendance as well as record over the last part of this season will be interesting. If games like Duke, Miami and UVA are ghost towns then that may say more than wins and losses. My sense from afar is Todd doesn't want to make a decision this offseason and tried to set the contract up not expecting to or wanting to make a decision/change this offseason. I think he wants to get his ducks in a row with the current fund raising and I expect discussions on admissions with the hill before making any decision/change.

If I am Todd one other thing I look for is what kind of defensive recruits we are starting to get with Woody at the helm. Is there a pick up in talent that is noticable? Won't be the deciding factor but may break a "tie".

It is obvious that PJ's seat is getting warm though not hot yet. I hope the team turns things around.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
$2 million buyout if he's fired at the end of the year. With Hewitt and Gregory buyouts continuing / ending soon (iirc), can GT afford to fire CPJ?

On the other hand, can GT afford to continue this type of season / games for 2 more years (CPJ contract runs until 2020)?

Either way, I don't see CPJ's continuing past 2020. Between now and then though, I have no idea.

Contract was extended to 2022, so the buyout would be 4 million, but there is a clause where, if he retires early , he gets one million. I see that as a reduced buyout if both he and the AD mutually think it's not working out, anymore. I believe this is the most likely scenario if the season doesn't turn around.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Watching attendance as well as record over the last part of this season will be interesting. If games like Duke, Miami and UVA are ghost towns then that may say more than wins and losses. My sense from afar is Todd doesn't want to make a decision this offseason and tried to set the contract up not expecting to or wanting to make a decision/change this offseason. I think he wants to get his ducks in a row with the current fund raising and I expect discussions on admissions with the hill before making any decision/change.

If I am Todd one other thing I look for is what kind of defensive recruits we are starting to get with Woody at the helm. Is there a pick up in talent that is noticable? Won't be the deciding factor but may break a "tie".

It is obvious that PJ's seat is getting warm though not hot yet. I hope the team turns things around.
I think his seat is hot. I have not seen this level of discontent in the past.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer

Your observation about TStan’s state of mind seems reasonable. However, if Clemson blows us out at home this Saturday, I think CPJ’s seat is going to get pretty hot from a fan perspective and TStan will find himself in an even more uncomfortable spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
Your observation about TStan’s state of mind seems reasonable. However, if Clemson blows us out at home this Saturday, I think CPJ’s seat is going to get pretty hot from a fan perspective and TStan will find himself in an even more uncomfortable spot.

I dont think Dabo will do anything, if he can help it, to hasten CPJs departure. Not a blowout , but a solid victory by CU.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I expect Clemson to blow us out (hope I am wrong)
IMHO the key will be if fans decide to stay home the rest of the season. Gailey got fired in part because he couldn't beat UGA but also in large part due to fans staying away and being very anti Gailey when they did come. If that happens again then likely sends Todd to a decision.

FWIW I don't think Todd is in an uncomfortable position at the moment. He signed an extension but kept the buyout reasonable - especially for next year and beyond which I think was his timing. IMHO he is probably thinking if we can muddle through next year we have a better chance to sign who we want and if we have to do it after this year there is a chance we have to take who we can get (went to extremes to make a point but directionally what I expect he is thinking).

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I expect Clemson to blow us out (hope I am wrong)
IMHO the key will be if fans decide to stay home the rest of the season. Gailey got fired in part because he couldn't beat UGA but also in large part due to fans staying away and being very anti Gailey when they did come. If that happens again then likely sends Todd to a decision.

FWIW I don't think Todd is in an uncomfortable position at the moment. He signed an extension but kept the buyout reasonable - especially for next year and beyond which I think was his timing. IMHO he is probably thinking if we can muddle through next year we have a better chance to sign who we want and if we have to do it after this year there is a chance we have to take who we can get (went to extremes to make a point but directionally what I expect he is thinking).
I hope no one would stay home we still need to support the players.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Clemson got leaped in rankings this week for blowing out a bad football team just like UGA did. They will not hold anything back against us as it’s in every team’s best interest to run up every score possible. That said, I don’t think they’ll blow us out. Probably a comfortable 20-21 point victory unless CPJ pulls every home run hitting type rabbit out of the hat and we manage to score enough to keep it closer. Anyways, to answer the question, I think TStan will let CPJ try out Woody for another year through 2019. That said, if we don’t hit 7 wins this year, CPJ will have to go 8-4 in the regular season (maybe 7-5 if he beats uga) in 2019 to see 2020.

travgt01

Ramblin' Wreck
Contract was extended to 2022, so the buyout would be 4 million, but there is a clause where, if he retires early , he gets one million. I see that as a reduced buyout if both he and the AD mutually think it's not working out, anymore. I believe this is the most likely scenario if the season doesn't turn around.
Is the buyout at the end of this season $2m or $4m? I keep seeing different amounts mentioned. Can we at least get on the same page here? $2M is much more manageable than $4m.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Is the buyout at the end of this season $2m or $4m? I keep seeing different amounts mentioned. Can we at least get on the same page here? $2M is much more manageable than $4m.

My understanding is that it is 1 million per each remaining year, so it would be 4. There was an article written saying it was 2, but I believe they based in on the pre-extension contract. I could be wrong, but that's what I think.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I know I’ve stated I’m done with CPJ, I still personally will give him until 2019 as I’ve stated above unless he just pulls another 3 or less win season out. I’m not entirely sure I’m a fan of firing a coach because 1 QB put us throught probably the worst period of GT Football we’ve seen in a long time. At some point, you have to find out how much blame you have to put on the QB. I know we want to see Oliver, and if TQ keeps playing like he is we better see him, but we don’t really know how much of the offense Oliver is capable of running right now.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
Just a reminder, if CPJ leaves via termination or resignation you guys will be looking for a coach who instills decipline amoung the players. Poor tackling, being out of place and not knowing the snap count are decipline issues not talent issues.

Fixing these will require players to concentrate on football, there are a lot of fans on this site who feel those issues are caused by the coach, I think it’s player dedication myself. Given this are those of you yelling for CPJs head going to actually hold the players feet to the fire ?

I’ve gotten myself in trouble on this board suggesting that it’s the players who are suppose to know where to be - a new coach, of the type you guys describe, will hold players accountable too. So I’m just saying one way or another the team - student athlete will be expected to do more if there is a change.

As far as Woody goes, I agree the LBs are out of place a lot and they are slow, that is a product of not being confident on where to go. I really don’t think it has anything to do with how many stars a player is rated or who they practice against. I think it’s Football acuity. Instincts is what this defense relies on and it’s what CPJ was speaking of when he said it allows the players to think less. We need football intelligence on the field, that may take a while in Woodys new defense - for players who were instructed under the old system. I think that’s the problem with the defense right now, I think some of them are still thinking to much.

Gaps move during the play, some are still rushing to where it was pre snap and that’s why they seem to get caught up in the piles of players at the line, as the RB cuts to the developing gap.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I don't think he gets fired this year no matter the outcome...but if we win 3 games and keep looking as bad as we have at times he might resign...he's said before that he'll retire when he doesn't feel like he's doing a good job anymore.

Honestly, Tech should give him another year if they bought into the, "i need more staff, a better locker room, and an aggressive D coordinator" pitch. That wasn't going to translate to a better team after just one year.

Maybe he turns it around this year, maybe next year...I don't know. I guess where I am is that the problems I see don't get fixed easily. We look very poorly coached at some fundamental things (tackling, executing a freakin' kickoff, knowing who to block, etc.). He keeps saying, "we missed assignments...we need to coach 'em better"...why is that happening? I'm sure they don't know, but I sure as hell hope they're trying different techniques to get the assignments to stick. The truth is that if week in and week out a team is missing assignments all over the place then the coaching staff is not doing a good job of communicating what needs to happen for those specific kids. If they aren't trying some different teaching techniques then they're asking for the problems to stick around.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
The truth is that if week in and week out a team is missing assignments all over the place then the coaching staff is not doing a good job of communicating what needs to happen for those specific kids. If they aren't trying some different teaching techniques then they're asking for the problems to stick around.

I wish I knew more about the “missed assignments” CPJ is always talking about. Do they forget their assignments or are they not physically able to get into position for their assignments? If it’s the former, could the plays be too complicated? Do they need to be more vanilla?

Status
Not open for further replies.