Paul Johnson time frame.

What gets CPJ fired or encouraged to resign?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I partially buy your argument... but CPJ has had 10 years to build a good defense. Head coaches who do that usually do it in 2-3 recruiting classes, not 10+.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's a nonsequitur. Finding the right DC is independent of recruiting classes.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
One more thing on recruiting. I heard CPJ make this remark in his 45 minute interview with Jeff Schultz two summers ago, after Kirby had replaced the Rev at uGa. He noted that the Dwags had very highly rated classes under Right, so that obviously meant he was a great recruiter. They fire Richt, hire Kirby and bam, they have great recruiting classes again. Kirby has never been a head man and suddenly, he's a fabulous recruiter. More likely, the school's recruit themselves.
Auburn classes are always highly rated and it doesn't matter who the coach is. Same at UF, Free Shoes U, Ohio State, etc. The coach can influence a little, but it takes years of concerted effort, money, on field success, money, resources, staff and money. Clemson has done it, but look at the resources they've poured in over the past 10 years.

GT has recruited at this same level for 50 years with few exceptions. Lame Kiffin (or whoever your favorite hotshot, B*** L3#/$ version is this year) isn't going to come in here and be able to sell the limited curriculum to even the smartest HS athletes who don't want what we offer. We have to do something different to have long term success.

CPJ gives us that on O (clearly) and many of us are hoping CNW can do the same on D.

TLDR - recruiting isn't going to magically get better for GT, regardless of who we hire (or fire).
This is the most intelligent post in this thread. For those who scratch their heads about why so many of us still support CPJ (even if we are frustrated with his offense as many of us are...) read this...no, I mean really read it. No coaching change is going to magically solve our problems. You guys sound like UVa fans or whatever (sorry @ilovetheoption !). No, changing coaches and changing offenses isn't going to magically solve our recruiting problems. They go much deeper.

I get frustrated that so many GT fans cannot see this.

Last edited:

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
My argument still stands. CPJ has had 10 years to build a good defense.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You didn't make an argument. You made an assertion. You didn't address the data about the ADs potential impact on AD hiring in part for budgetary reasons.

Still, I appreciate that sometimes a stomped foot and repeated opinion is the best argument available.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
My man! Sounds like a solid game plan! I miss the Atlanta scene.

I would like to get back next season for a game, my wife and I are expecting a daughter sometime around Oct 11 (our first) so traveling for football this year has been out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We used to drive up , watch game and crash at hotel before heading home. That has morphed into 2 nights and getting in graphed into post game tail gate.

Congratulations on your daughter,
but better plan on skipping a few more years (first baby needs 10 times the attention of the third baby! When u can get her to the walk up.

Kids love the walk up - buzz hugs, cheer leaders and players.
20180922_133441.jpg

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
The recruiting argument for me boils down to we run an atypical offense which does two things:
1) Alienates the top stud QB and WO Players we likely wouldn't be able to bring in regardless of our offense (we are not a program that recruits itself irrespective of the offense we run)
2) Allows us to play a style of football that doesn't require the 5star QB, RB, WO, Skill players and be effective (for example the different types of OL players we use, the undervalued slot guys we turn into great ABacks, the big physical but not burning speed Wide outs we use for crack blocks)

I guess I think we gain more than we lose by running a nonstandard offense which doesn't require the guys we would struggle to reel in.

Disagree. Disagree completely. I actually think GT should do the exact opposite.

AlphaBuzz

Georgia Tech Fan
Why can’t you say what you want to say without calling other posters thoughts ignorant, stubborn, or close-minded? Your post would’ve been more meaningful without the personal attack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I never said we should be outside of the top 50, nor that we can't improve. What I said was that we are never going to be top 10 (or probably top 25) in recruiting. We aren't set up for that and it isn't going to change. We recruit today the same we have for years before CPJ got here. APR is going to impact us more than other schools who have a lot more majors. The guys we recruit to play in our offense are never going to be highly rated just because what we need isn't what the "regular offenses" need.

We can all wish to be top 20 or top 30 in recruiting, but that requires systemic changes that can only come from the BOR and they ain't interested in improving our athletics. Their task is to keep GT as a top tier "Institute" and will not allow anything to change that isn't aligned with that mission statement..

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I never said we should be outside of the top 50, nor that we can't improve. What I said was that we are never going to be top 10 (or probably top 25) in recruiting. We aren't set up for that and it isn't going to change. We recruit today the same we have for years before CPJ got here. APR is going to impact us more than other schools who have a lot more majors. The guys we recruit to play in our offense are never going to be highly rated just because what we need isn't what the "regular offenses" need.

We can all wish to be top 20 or top 30 in recruiting, but that requires systemic changes that can only come from the BOR and they ain't interested in improving our athletics. Their task is to keep GT as a top tier "Institute" and will not allow anything to change that isn't aligned with that mission statement..
Stop making sense.

THWG16

Ramblin' Wreck
This is the most intelligent post in this thread. For those who scratch their heads about why so many of us still support CPJ (even if we are frustrated with his offense as many of us are...) read this...no, I mean really read it. No coaching change is going to magically solve our problems. You guys sound like UVa fans or whatever (sorry @ilovetheoption !). No, changing coaches and changing offenses isn't going to magically solve our recruiting problems. They go much deeper.

I get frustrated that so many GT fans cannot see this.
PJ is a master at making excuses, he'll blame the defense, injuries, lack of funding, staff, etc

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
I am of the mind that it is time to try something different, but be factual. Our previous coach's classes were all in the 50s and 60s save one.

I am hopeful that a new coach along with adidas, facilities etc. could get us in the top 40 consistently.

True. And he was terrible at recruiting when he first got to tech. He did figure it out at the end however which is why I actually changed my opinion on wanting him gone. Most people view 07 as some once in a lifetime class that can not be duplicated but Gailey actually had us positioned for another top 25 class before we fired him the following year. He had figured it out. The coach before him brought in 3 straight top 25 classes so it can be done here at tech.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
Recruiting has changed a ton since the last century as well. The gap between us and other schools wasn't as big as it is now and the recruiting staffs you have to have now weren't around back then except maybe at the biggest programs.

THWG16

Ramblin' Wreck
True. And he was terrible at recruiting when he first got to tech. He did figure it out at the end however which is why I actually changed my opinion on wanting him gone. Most people view 07 as some once in a lifetime class that can not be duplicated but Gailey actually had us positioned for another top 25 class before we fired him the following year. He had figured it out. The coach before him brought in 3 straight top 25 classes so it can be done here at tech.
Yeah Sean Renfree was coming here, he was an All American by some publications

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
There are issues recruiting with the situation we are in. There are also issues recruiting with the head coach we have. Johnson was never touted as a great recruiter or even potentially great recruiter, and nothing about him points to being a good recruiter.

The balance was always that Johnson's offensive mind would better serve us than a better recruiting head coach. For a while that was probably true, but it's a hard point to argue now. The last 3.5 years we are 1-15 against teams when the opposing team scores 28 or more. That is a huge problem when the program is built around the offenses potency. There is little benefit in having Johnson if we're just going to be a program that has to hold teams to 21 or less to win. If that's the case then going with a more recruit focused head coach is the way to go.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
Coach Pastner was brought in with his recruiting acumen being a major selling point. He even went as far as saying he didn't want to hire guys who play golf because it means they don't recruit hard enough (humorous hyperbole, I'm not sure). He's whiffed pretty hard since he's been here with recruits, mostly getting under-the-radar or project players with high ceilings (sound familiar).

Status
Not open for further replies.