Paul Johnson time frame.

What gets CPJ fired or encouraged to resign?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
He won as many in 2011 and 2016 as he did in 2008. He won as many in 2014 as he did in 2009. The CCG-recruits argument is tired, old, and disproved.

The best 2 year stretch he has ever had was his first 2 years. Those were Gaileys players. Your defense of any argument against Johnson is what is old and makes people realize a reasonable discussion on our coach is impossible on this board.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
And no APR

How many recruits do we get now over the power schools? Very few. We still offer many but they choose to go elsewhere. O’Leary and Gailey had significant wins over power schools. Johnson has not done that.

If we were hitting on the top targets we offered, but the problem was we just couldn’t offer many because of academics that would be one thing. But we both know we are not hitting on many of our top targets.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
My point was he won with a RB Gailey recruited
He's won with Gailey's, he's won with his. Every single coach at any sport who wins the first year is going to be accused of doing it with somebody else 's players. Which is how it works, after all. And he has had, you have to admit, some very good B backs, including a couple right now.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
How many recruits do we get now over the power schools? Very few. We still offer many but they choose to go elsewhere. O’Leary and Gailey had significant wins over power schools. Johnson has not done that.

If we were hitting on the top targets we offered, but the problem was we just couldn’t offer many because of academics that would be one thing. But we both know we are not hitting on many of our top targets.

Say what?????????? Are you talking wins as in game wins or recruit wins

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer

That is some made up crap right there.

THWG16

Ramblin' Wreck
The best 2 year stretch he has ever had was his first 2 years. Those were Gaileys players. Your defense of any argument against Johnson is what is old and makes people realize a reasonable discussion on our coach is impossible on this board.
Thank you

THWG16

Ramblin' Wreck
He's won with Gailey's, he's won with his. Every single coach at any sport who wins the first year is going to be accused of doing it with somebody else 's players. Which is how it works, after all. And he has had, you have to admit, some very good B backs, including a couple right now.
We’ve had two losing seasons in last 3 years , lost to Duke 3 of 4

THWG16

Ramblin' Wreck

I will say that Clemson was nothing back then like they are now & we didn’t have to play VT & Miami then , but we got nfl talent !! Now we don’t ! If the school won’t allow us to we should play in the IVY league

This is the craziest argument.....Since recruiting rankings began......We average about the same in every class regardless of the coach. Let's remember, rankings of an 18 year old kid mean nothing. Mills was a 3 star when he came to Tech and now that he is going to Nebraska he is a 4 star. Same thing with C'Bo. I will take 100 2 star Clinton Lynches any day. All that matters is winning and CPJ is the most successful Coach Tech has had in the modern era.....Post 1970.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer

Haven’t checked this thread in a few days. Probably shouldn’t have today.

So... because we won 9 and 11 in consecutive seasons once, the other years of 9 and 11 wins, including 2 more wins over UGAg, 2 more ACC title appearances, and a New Years 6 bowl win don’t count...

That’s some quality bullsh** right there. Respect.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
We’ve had two losing seasons in last 3 years , lost to Duke 3 of 4
Quoting Mayor Johnson I believe it was, now who could argue with that? As to the salient point, however: Johnson won with players he inherited, but in a completely different offense and with a center he converted from defense. He had a QB who could not have played QB for any other team in the country. He won with him. (Now, I loved Nesbitt's fire and his strength and his willingness to take a punch. But he was an average ball handler and could not hit the ocean from a rowboat. He just couldn't. What he could do and did was run the midline. I did admire that.) The players on offense could not have won in any other system. He had three on defense, though, who I acknowledge were terrific players, though one of them came to GT because his buddy came, not because Gailey recruited him.)

Regardless, it is a futile exercise. The recruiting argument is ad infinitum and involves engineering and technical and curriculum and "the Hill" and liberal arts and physics and calculus and lord knows what else fogging it up. What I do know is this: Tech's chances of finding that 5-star all-world QB or middle linebacker with great grades who want to be aeronautical engineers or rocket scientists or study theoretical quantum physics or --- okay, you caught me. I made that one up. I think. Which, you see, is a recruiting problem at the Georgia Institute of Technology University or whatever it is now. What it means is those guys ain't there and the message boards can bleed gold without changing the facts of it. It is easy to write the throwaway line about recruiting them. The real question then is if those players actually exist and could be recruited, is Johnson so stupid that he is not recruiting them? I question his often unprovoked churlishness. I never questioned his grey matter. Some of us want nothing more technical than a self-sealing envelope. It just is.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
That is some made up crap right there.

Once again I’m stunned at the negative view of our program by some of our fans and quite honestly the ignorance of our recent history.

Nobody should deny the success O’Leary and his staff had on the recruiting trail. He had 3 straight top 25 classes before he left and was regularly beating out perceived powers in our region for recruits. This is simply a fact and I would encourage you to study up on his time here if you don’t believe me.

Gailey on the other hand did struggle in recruiting when he first got here and it was very frustrating for me as I started following recruiting in the O’Leary days and had got used to us winning our share of battles against what today people call factories. He did however snag a few almost annually. Calvin Johnson and Daryl Richard came in the same class and we almost landed a 5 star lb out of Miller County who’s name escapes me as well. Philip Wheeler, and Michael Johnson were all wanted by programs in the southeast. Then came the 07 class which surpassed anything he had done up to that time by a wide margin. Derrick Morgan, Jonathan Dwyer, Nick Clayton, Morgan Burnett, DJ Donnelly and more. That was a top 20 class with only 17 commits. Think about that for a minute. In 08 he was following that up with what was going to be another top 25 class. Sean Renfree, Chris Jackson and a receiver that eventually went to Illinois I believe followed by an NFL career were highly sought after 4 star players that were committed here before his firing. He had figured out recruiting at GT.

So in short the previous 2 coaches at GT figured how to recruit well at GT before they left. We are 11 years in with Johnson and we have not seen that ability. And honestly that inability to recruit is the only reason Johnson is still at tech. Larger programs know that regardless of resources, both his offense and personality are inhibitors to recruiting at an elite level.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
I will say that Clemson was nothing back then like they are now & we didn’t have to play VT & Miami then , but we got nfl talent !! Now we don’t ! If the school won’t allow us to we should play in the IVY league

Wouldn’t you think more games with the Miami’s and VT’s of the world would make it easier to recruit here?

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
This is the craziest argument.....Since recruiting rankings began......We average about the same in every class regardless of the coach. Let's remember, rankings of an 18 year old kid mean nothing. Mills was a 3 star when he came to Tech and now that he is going to Nebraska he is a 4 star. Same thing with C'Bo. I will take 100 2 star Clinton Lynches any day. All that matters is winning and CPJ is the most successful Coach Tech has had in the modern era.....Post 1970.

I’m wondering how you came to the determination that Johnson was more successful than O’Leary? 5 straight top 25 finishes by O’Leary is pretty impressive. I can’t see where Johnson comes close to anything like that. Granted Johnson did have great years in 09 and 14 which one can argue O’Leary never had years of that strength.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
Haven’t checked this thread in a few days. Probably shouldn’t have today.

So... because we won 9 and 11 in consecutive seasons once, the other years of 9 and 11 wins, including 2 more wins over UGAg, 2 more ACC title appearances, and a New Years 6 bowl win don’t count...

That’s some quality bullsh** right there. Respect.

No it just means that when his star players were recruited by Gailey and he had talent on par with the teams he was playing against he was a dynamite coach and batted a thousand on producing quality teams. Since he has had to rely on the players he has recruited to lead the way he is under 500 in terms of producing quality seasons. Where am I losing you here?

Status
Not open for further replies.