Paul Johnson time frame.

What gets CPJ fired or encouraged to resign?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

THWG16

Ramblin' Wreck
My view, and I would guess the view of most "CPJ supporters" is that we think he is generally a good coach, but not perfect. We think that, overall, he has done a great job at Tech given the Orange Bowl appearances, ACC Championship Appearances, ACC record, and recent wins against UGA. He has also run a clean program and done a fantastic job graduating kids. We also find his offense interesting and fun, and recognize the stats like the one listed above indicate it has been very very effective despite moaning by those that don't like it.

We also recognize he has some flaws. He could be somewhat better with the media (although we generally enjoy his honestly and frankness over coachspeak). We also recognize that he is an average recruiter and that the defense (and to a lesser extent special teams) have not been good enough during his tenure. We appreciate that he has tried to fix it, but also grow a bit tired of it never actually getting fixed. We are hopeful that Woody will finally be the answer and are willing to give that some more time.

Finally, we all agree that the last 4 years have not been good enough and think he should be fired if he can't get it turned around. We are just more optimistic that he can in fact get it turned around and are more patient to give him that time. We also recognize the idea that the grass is not always greener. Tech has significant financial and practical limitations, and we recognize that there is a significant chance that the next coach would be worse. (Personally, I am worried that firing CPJ now could lead to a GT Basketball scenario where we will, at best, get our fourth or fifth coaching choice and wander in the woods for 6 years or so).

If you want to call that "worship," fine.
I agree with a lot of your points. I just think we sell GT short a lot of times . We have a great tradition here . You’re right ! If we can him it may get worse , but I know we weren’t happy with going to a bowl every year with Chan . But you’re right when you say atleast we’ve beaten ugag few times

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
I think it's just become popular on this message board and another to just worship PJ!! Most of the people on here that do , don't have any reason to it's just go with the crowd. If you talk to people outside our fanbase they wonder why PJ is still here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I tell ya one thing UGAG fans are glad is here and that's scary

What CPJ supporters do get frustrated about are people who say things like:

...CPJ simply isn't a good coach
...his offense doesn't work or has been figured out
...he only cares about the offense
...he should be demoted to offensive coordinator / should hire an offensive coordinator
...if he only were more friendly with the media we would put 10,000 more fans at every game and the local media would love us
...he is a terrible recruiter and we would start loading up on 4 and 5 star recruits if we just fired him
...Gailey was as good or better
...we should only focus on the last 4 years and ignore 2016 (oh, and also 2008 and 2009 because they were CCG's guys and 2014 because it was a fluke)

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Put whatever stat you want out there , bottom line is : we’ve had 2 losing seasons out of last 3. Might be on our way again . Chan got crucified around here & he never had less than 7 wins . Paul won 20 of his games with Chan’s players . Has PJ gotten a RB anything like Dwyer ?

I get you. You want to win. You hate to lose. You want us to compete for ACC championships and even national championships, and it's been 3 long years since we were in that conversation.

What you don't seem to understand is that everybody agrees with you. I appreciate that the emotional response is to just react to the bad seasons and conclude that a new coach will do better. I say it's emotional because there is just heaps of data indicating that this is not always the case. I think it is much more reasonable to look at the data to get a clear assessment of where we are.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
I agree with a lot of your points. I just think we sell GT short a lot of times . We have a great tradition here . You’re right ! If we can him it may get worse , but I know we weren’t happy with going to a bowl every year with Chan . But you’re right when you say atleast we’ve beaten ugag few times

To be clear, I have no problem with folks that think it is time to move on. (If we don't make a bowl this year, that may be me as well.) I just hate the strong irrational rhetoric that often supports that argument. I honestly think he is a good coach, has done a lot of great stuff at Tech, and think his inability to retain the QBs and BBs he has recruited has way more to do with our lack of recent success than his inability to coach any longer. That said, the result is the same.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
The season will tell us a lot.

Lasts years all in bet on marshall being able to pass lead us into an embarrassing final 6 quarters.

Our next 2 games are against OK teams that have tall & large QB. The Duke qb has thrown one pass interception. How the coaches and guys navigate this will tell us if a lot..

But how they handle the final 5 will really be more telling. We play 3 of the big 4 ( C,VT,M,UGA) and 2 are road games.

WE HAVE A TOUGH SCHEDULE save Inc andc uva!
1. Dog up the next 2 and get stomped by remaining big three would be embarrassing way to end the season. All L against the big 4 would makes 3W and 13L in lauga! = ouch.
Lots of very mad gt fans and T stan earns his money.

2. And a hoped ( and imo possible) for alternate is we win 5 of next 7 with some blow out victories and no embarrassing games. 2 W against big 4 would be great. That's should make every one happy. Joy joy joy and the gt TO bus rolls on for 10 more years!

3. It will probably be a little of both with hopefully no football like the last 6 quarters of 17. Then on to 19 for another try to tweak the offense.

No need to argue till we are back at 3 in Nov. 2018 it's time

slugboy

Staff member
I get you. You want to win. You hate to lose. You want us to compete for ACC championships and even national championships, and it's been 3 long years since we were in that conversation.

What you don't seem to understand is that everybody agrees with you. I appreciate that the emotional response is to just react to the bad seasons and conclude that a new coach will do better. I say it's emotional because there is just heaps of data indicating that this is not always the case. I think it is much more reasonable to look at the data to get a clear assessment of where we are.

In the past year, FSU got the coach they wanted, and they’re 3-2 (thanks to Bobby Petrino). Nebraska got their dream coach (who I think is a great coach), and they’re 0-4. Tennessee is 2-3 with a new coach. Ole Miss and Miss State are 3-2. Arkansas is 1-4. Texas A&M is 3-2. They all got the coaching change they wanted, they’re all factories, they have the “recruiting advantages” we’re all clamoring for, and most of the fan bases aren’t happy right now.

We’d do well to hire as well as all these schools, and we’d probably see a couple of rough years in transition. Big improvements right after a coaching change (like L***s->O’Leary or Gailey ->CPJ) are probably more of a happy surprise than something to expect. If you’re counting on better recruiting to help, then you’re looking at a few years to get a whole new crop of kids in.

JMHO

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
In the past year, FSU got the coach they wanted, and they’re 3-2 (thanks to Bobby Petrino). Nebraska got their dream coach (who I think is a great coach), and they’re 0-4. Tennessee is 2-3 with a new coach. Ole Miss and Miss State are 3-2. Arkansas is 1-4. Texas A&M is 3-2. They all got the coaching change they wanted, they’re all factories, they have the “recruiting advantages” we’re all clamoring for, and most of the fan bases aren’t happy right now.

We’d do well to hire as well as all these schools, and we’d probably see a couple of rough years in transition. Big improvements right after a coaching change (like L***s->O’Leary or Gailey ->CPJ) are probably more of a happy surprise than something to expect. If you’re counting on better recruiting to help, then you’re looking at a few years to get a whole new crop of kids in.

JMHO

It's better to have a head coaching change than stay in the same funk for God knows how long. The schools that you named are in the process of rebuilding and that takes time.

THWG16

Ramblin' Wreck

Why was Gailey fired then ? Or anyone for that matter ?

THWG16

Ramblin' Wreck

JMHO

You can’t judge a coach on year 1

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Gentlemen. I suggest you pour yourself one of these:
32de6cd46e06d8205a11da75a638de2f.jpg

Then relax. We got a big game coming up tomorrow night and a gameday post from @ClydeBrick to look forward to tonight. It’s like Christmas, except I live in Texas and it was 90° today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Gentlemen. I suggest you pour yourself one of these:
32de6cd46e06d8205a11da75a638de2f.jpg

Then relax. We got a big game coming up tomorrow night and a gameday post from @ClydeBrick to look forward to tonight. It’s like Christmas, except I live in Texas and it was 90° today.

Friday- treat wife to nice meal and drinks atc
Amas Cochina
Downtown Atlanta
Margarita- w dash of mango liqueur and a sliced jalapeno.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Friday- treat wife to nice meal and drinks atc
Amas Cochina
Downtown Atlanta
Margarita- w dash of mango liqueur and a sliced jalapeno.

My man! Sounds like a solid game plan! I miss the Atlanta scene.

I would like to get back next season for a game, my wife and I are expecting a daughter sometime around Oct 11 (our first) so traveling for football this year has been out.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
I think I speak for most GT fans of CPJ when I say that we are fans of GT first and truly believe that CPJ is still the best coach for us. As a reminder to you and information for some of our newcomers, here is where our offensive efficiency over the last ten years compares to the rest of FBS. It only counts games against BCS AQ or Pwr5 teams. It only ranks teams who played more than 2 such opponents in the given year.

View attachment 4256

Our average end of year ranking over the last 10 years has been 23.5. In other words, when we have an offense that puts us into these categories, it certainly makes sense that we want to do what we can to improve our D rather than to throw out the baby with the bath water.

I partially buy your argument... but CPJ has had 10 years to build a good defense. Head coaches who do that usually do it in 2-3 recruiting classes, not 10+.

Status
Not open for further replies.