Paul Johnson time frame.

What gets CPJ fired or encouraged to resign?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
By saying recruiting can’t get better regardless of the coach you sound equally as ignorant as the people on the opposing side of the argument saying we can recruit like FSU or Clemson if we changed coaches.

We aren’t going to recruit top 10 classes, but we should never be outside the top 50. And unfortunately we have found ourselves outside of that all too often under Johnson.

The argument for your side is the offense gives us an advantages. Unfortunately I just don’t see that being the case anymore. I see programs with similar resources as GT surpassing us while I see the gap between us and the powers widening. I think the offense is still capable, but I have completely bought into the fact that this offense is a negative for our defense. We have gone through 4 DC’s now and all of their D’s have looked the same. At some point you have to look at what has remained consistent over that time. In my opinion it is time to remove what has been consistent.

Why can’t you say what you want to say without calling other posters thoughts ignorant, stubborn, or close-minded? Your post would’ve been more meaningful without the personal attack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
Why can’t you say what you want to say without calling other posters thoughts ignorant, stubborn, or close-minded? Your post would’ve been more meaningful without the personal attack.

Very fair statement.

THWG16

Ramblin' Wreck
Not trying to get any arguments started, but just stating my opinion and asking a question.......

I've never been able to understand the backing that PJ has gotten from what seems like most people on here.
Yes if you look at his winning % it may be right up there with the best @ GT, and he has beaten uga like some other coaches couldn't. I think Chan was a horrible coach and let me make it clear that I think PJ is better than him, but after Paul set the woods on fire in 08 and 09 he's been very very mediocre, and bad frankly the last few years(except 15). He won in 08,09 with Chan's players. He hasn't been able to recruit the type rb we had in Dwyer or defensive guys like Burnett, Wheeler , or Johnson. Chan set the table for him , but I will give it to PJ he did better than Chan could've.

Anyway, I don't think some people realize how the 3option hurts us in recruiting. I know we're not gonna out recruit Ohio St, but we could do better than recent. We've beat out teams like S Alabama and Furman for recruits lately. Is it all PJ's fault? Hell no: The HILL hurts us in recruiting and should make changes, but guys we've gotten good players before under Ross, O'Leary, and Gailey. I think we still can or maybe there's something I'm not aware of preventing it.

I think GT is far better than having to resort to a service academy offense . I think people sell us short a lot, but then again I realize that baseball and basketball has been awful in last few years so maybe it's all academic stuff!! IDK, but I just scratch my head at the thought of people thinking that PJ is a great coach and we can't do better!! I think he's a good coach for the system and he could go to Furman and win titles , but this is big boy football and we don't play teams that Navy played week in week out.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Not trying to get any arguments started, but just stating my opinion and asking a question.......

I've never been able to understand the backing that PJ has gotten from what seems like most people on here.
Yes if you look at his winning % it may be right up there with the best @ GT, and he has beaten uga like some other coaches couldn't. I think Chan was a horrible coach and let me make it clear that I think PJ is better than him, but after Paul set the woods on fire in 08 and 09 he's been very very mediocre, and bad frankly the last few years(except 15). He won in 08,09 with Chan's players. He hasn't been able to recruit the type rb we had in Dwyer or defensive guys like Burnett, Wheeler , or Johnson. Chan set the table for him , but I will give it to PJ he did better than Chan could've.

Anyway, I don't think some people realize how the 3option hurts us in recruiting. I know we're not gonna out recruit Ohio St, but we could do better than recent. We've beat out teams like S Alabama and Furman for recruits lately. Is it all PJ's fault? Hell no: The HILL hurts us in recruiting and should make changes, but guys we've gotten good players before under Ross, O'Leary, and Gailey. I think we still can or maybe there's something I'm not aware of preventing it.

I think GT is far better than having to resort to a service academy offense . I think people sell us short a lot, but then again I realize that baseball and basketball has been awful in last few years so maybe it's all academic stuff!! IDK, but I just scratch my head at the thought of people thinking that PJ is a great coach and we can't do better!! I think he's a good coach for the system and he could go to Furman and win titles , but this is big boy football and we don't play teams that Navy played week in week out.

Yawn

If you want to make a case, don't raise data that Tech fans know are bogus.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
For our newer fans, we introduced a shotgun formation in 2012. We passed better from under center.

Fun fact: uva coach Bronco whose byu team played us is using that formation this year.

Lol, out of how many attempts? What was the down and distance? That uncommittal Vad Lee Year is your measuring stick. Please.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer

It’s almost appears to have a greater loyalty to Paul Johnson than to GT. Then again the only place I truly see this level of fandom for PJ are on these boards.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
giphy.gif

THWG16

Ramblin' Wreck
I think it's just become popular on this message board and another to just worship PJ!! Most of the people on here that do , don't have any reason to it's just go with the crowd. If you talk to people outside our fanbase they wonder why PJ is still here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I tell ya one thing UGAG fans are glad is here and that's scary

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
I think it's just become popular on this message board and another to just worship PJ!! Most of the people on here that do , don't have any reason to it's just go with the crowd. If you talk to people outside our fanbase they wonder why PJ is still here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I tell ya one thing UGAG fans are glad is here and that's scary

You’ve been a member on GT Swarm for 19 hours and I think you wrote nearly that many exclamation points in a single post. That has to be some kind of record.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
We aren’t going to recruit top 10 classes, but we should never be outside the top 50. And unfortunately we have found ourselves outside of that all too often under Johnson.

I am of the mind that it is time to try something different, but be factual. Our previous coach's classes were all in the 50s and 60s save one.

I am hopeful that a new coach along with adidas, facilities etc. could get us in the top 40 consistently.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
The recruiting argument for me boils down to we run an atypical offense which does two things:
1) Alienates the top stud QB and WO Players we likely wouldn't be able to bring in regardless of our offense (we are not a program that recruits itself irrespective of the offense we run)
2) Allows us to play a style of football that doesn't require the 5star QB, RB, WO, Skill players and be effective (for example the different types of OL players we use, the undervalued slot guys we turn into great ABacks, the big physical but not burning speed Wide outs we use for crack blocks)

I guess I think we gain more than we lose by running a nonstandard offense which doesn't require the guys we would struggle to reel in.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
It’s almost appears to have a greater loyalty to Paul Johnson than to GT. Then again the only place I truly see this level of fandom for PJ are on these boards.

I think I speak for most GT fans of CPJ when I say that we are fans of GT first and truly believe that CPJ is still the best coach for us. As a reminder to you and information for some of our newcomers, here is where our offensive efficiency over the last ten years compares to the rest of FBS. It only counts games against BCS AQ or Pwr5 teams. It only ranks teams who played more than 2 such opponents in the given year.

upload_2018-10-4_16-6-54.png

Our average end of year ranking over the last 10 years has been 23.5. In other words, when we have an offense that puts us into these categories, it certainly makes sense that we want to do what we can to improve our D rather than to throw out the baby with the bath water.

THWG16

Ramblin' Wreck
I am of the mind that it is time to try something different, but be factual. Our previous coach's classes were all in the 50s and 60s save one.

I am hopeful that a new coach along with adidas, facilities etc. could get us in the top 40 consistently.
We should shoot for top 30 classes , I agree with rest of your post though

THWG16

Ramblin' Wreck
I think I speak for most GT fans of CPJ when I say that we are fans of GT first and truly believe that CPJ is still the best coach for us. As a reminder to you and information for some of our newcomers, here is where our offensive efficiency over the last ten years compares to the rest of FBS. It only counts games against BCS AQ or Pwr5 teams. It only ranks teams who played more than 2 such opponents in the given year.

View attachment 4256

Our average end of year ranking over the last 10 years has been 23.5. In other words, when we have an offense that puts us into these categories, it certainly makes sense that we want to do what we can to improve our D rather than to throw out the baby with the bath water.
Put whatever stat you want out there , bottom line is : we’ve had 2 losing seasons out of last 3. Might be on our way again . Chan got crucified around here & he never had less than 7 wins . Paul won 20 of his games with Chan’s players . Has PJ gotten a RB anything like Dwyer ?

THWG16

Ramblin' Wreck
The recruiting argument for me boils down to we run an atypical offense which does two things:
1) Alienates the top stud QB and WO Players we likely wouldn't be able to bring in regardless of our offense (we are not a program that recruits itself irrespective of the offense we run)
2) Allows us to play a style of football that doesn't require the 5star QB, RB, WO, Skill players and be effective (for example the different types of OL players we use, the undervalued slot guys we turn into great ABacks, the big physical but not burning speed Wide outs we use for crack blocks)

I guess I think we gain more than we lose by running a nonstandard offense which doesn't require the guys we would struggle to reel in.
I think it hurts us . We’ve had good players in past

THWG16

Ramblin' Wreck
You’ve been a member on GT Swarm for 19 hours and I think you wrote nearly that many exclamation points in a single post. That has to be some kind of record.

Really !!!!!!!!!!!!

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer

My view, and I would guess the view of most "CPJ supporters" is that we think he is generally a good coach, but not perfect. We think that, overall, he has done a great job at Tech given the Orange Bowl appearances, ACC Championship Appearances, ACC record, and recent wins against UGA. He has also run a clean program and done a fantastic job graduating kids. We also find his offense interesting and fun, and recognize the stats like the one listed above indicate it has been very very effective despite moaning by those that don't like it.

We also recognize he has some flaws. He could be somewhat better with the media (although we generally enjoy his honestly and frankness over coachspeak). We also recognize that he is an average recruiter and that the defense (and to a lesser extent special teams) have not been good enough during his tenure. We appreciate that he has tried to fix it, but also grow a bit tired of it never actually getting fixed. We are hopeful that Woody will finally be the answer and are willing to give that some more time.

Finally, we all agree that the last 4 years have not been good enough and think he should be fired if he can't get it turned around. We are just more optimistic that he can in fact get it turned around and are more patient to give him that time. We also recognize the idea that the grass is not always greener. Tech has significant financial and practical limitations, and we recognize that there is a significant chance that the next coach would be worse. (Personally, I am worried that firing CPJ now could lead to a GT Basketball scenario where we will, at best, get our fourth or fifth coaching choice and wander in the woods for 6 years or so).

If you want to call that "worship," fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.