Paul Johnson time frame.

What gets CPJ fired or encouraged to resign?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
For those who want him gone look out and tell me how you feel 2 years from now, you may want to go to the bowl game this year cause it will be 3 or 4 years starting over with a new offense and defense. Let me know how much the recruiting improves. If he wants to retire I'm fine and wish him the best.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
For those who want him gone look out and tell me how you feel 2 years from now, you may want to go to the bowl game this year cause it will be 3 or 4 years starting over with a new offense and defense. Let me know how much the recruiting improves. If he wants to retire I'm fine and wish him the best.

I think he earned the right to stay with his comeback this year, but it wasn't the type of season that should get you totally off the hot seat, either. I am fine if he stays or goes (provided we have a solid plan to replace him).

I am not as pessimistic that it will take that long for a new coach to have modest success. I am thinking more like year 2 to make a bowl than year 4. Agree year 1 could be rough.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
I think he earned the right to stay with his comeback this year, but it wasn't the type of season that should get you totally off the hot seat, either. I am fine if he stays or goes (provided we have a solid plan to replace him).

I am not as pessimistic that it will take that long for a new coach to have modest success. I am thinking more like year 2 to make a bowl than year 4. Agree year 1 could be rough.
Year 1 could be like 1994:cigar:

stech81

Helluva Engineer

could kill recruiting this year.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't think he retires, but if he did this would be the year to find a new coach. There isn't a big market since USC is keeping Helton and none of the other big fish seem to be making moves (Auburn might be the wildcard here, like always, but I think Gus gets another year at least). UNC got Brown, Kansas got Les Miles, Louisville probably hires Brohm for Purdue, Texas Tech will get a Big12 air raid guy, and we are about as appealing as any of the other job offers out there like Colorado. Whenever Johnson leaves we have to hope its in a year like this and not like last year where half the SEC ended up changing coaches due to all the dominoes that started to fall.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
could kill recruiting this year.

Depends on who is hired and how quickly. No doubt we would lose a few and there would be very little time to replace them. But that would be the case with any coaching change, unless we had a coach in waiting scenario.

But again, this is all doubtful. I think he stays 2 years probably.

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck
Paul should and will go on his own terms. I'll say this though, he has seemed little more whiny (some on here say he's telling it like it is), a bit more sharp with the media, and generally pretty worn out. The guy has enough money and reputation to retire and go down as one of the greats, of that I have no doubt. He may look at the near future and seem like its a bit too much headache for little reward. Does he think we'll be back in the ACC championship conversation in the next few years? He seems bearish on us and our program. That being said, if he does retire, we should go hire Lane Kiffin :)

slugboy

Staff member
I don't think he retires, but if he did this would be the year to find a new coach. There isn't a big market since USC is keeping Helton and none of the other big fish seem to be making moves (Auburn might be the wildcard here, like always, but I think Gus gets another year at least). UNC got Brown, Kansas got Les Miles, Louisville probably hires Brohm for Purdue, Texas Tech will get a Big12 air raid guy, and we are about as appealing as any of the other job offers out there like Colorado. Whenever Johnson leaves we have to hope its in a year like this and not like last year where half the SEC ended up changing coaches due to all the dominoes that started to fall.

Brohm seems to be staying at Purdue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Paul should and will go on his own terms. I'll say this though, he has seemed little more whiny (some on here say he's telling it like it is), a bit more sharp with the media, and generally pretty worn out. The guy has enough money and reputation to retire and go down as one of the greats, of that I have no doubt. He may look at the near future and seem like its a bit too much headache for little reward. Does he think we'll be back in the ACC championship conversation in the next few years? He seems bearish on us and our program. That being said, if he does retire, we should go hire Lane Kiffin :)
I was with you till the last sentence

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
Brohm seems to be staying at Purdue.

Yeah, I'm just speculating that's who they get, I don't actually have any insider info. I know he said he's going to stay, but so have 90% of coaches who have left programs. I personally don't think he should take the job yet. With the lawsuits from the basketball side and the $17million in buyout or whatever it was for Petrino, I don't know if they will have the resources to compete. They aren't in a very talent rich area and don't really have the history or anything else to draw talent without spending big bucks.

RedPete

Ramblin' Wreck
It amazes me how some look to your posts for football knowledge and accept it as such. Eye of the beholder I guess. Not a personal attack as I appreciate your passion for the program. I just find your “breakdowns” and generalizations to be almost completely baseless.

I know right. A few posts earlier I pretty much completely debunked everything he just said here, before he even said it.

Last edited:

slugboy

Staff member
Yeah, I'm just speculating that's who they get, I don't actually have any insider info. I know he said he's going to stay, but so have 90% of coaches who have left programs. I personally don't think he should take the job yet. With the lawsuits from the basketball side and the $17million in buyout or whatever it was for Petrino, I don't know if they will have the resources to compete. They aren't in a very talent rich area and don't really have the history or anything else to draw talent without spending big bucks.

Cool thing is that, when he goes, you can reference my boneheaded post where I took Brohm at his word.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Honestly, with the Oline we are returning and James Graham on the roster, we could probably line JG up in the shotgun and tell him to run it and still beat quite a few opponents. I don't see us beating Clemson or UGA more then 3/10 with any coach for the foreseeable future (though we've always been 3/10 against UGA so it is what it is).

Defense improvement next year is going to be more telling for next year.

Boss Ross

Jolly Good Fellow
Hell yes LANE KIFFIN he’s well known and could get recruits GT would be on a lot of recruits radar that don’t give Tech a second thought now !

Status
Not open for further replies.