Paul Johnson time frame.

What gets CPJ fired or encouraged to resign?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
things you are darn near guaranteed under a paul johnson team.

1 - we will never be able to pass. Its just true. Between the scheme, how the OL is asked to block etc, stop looking for the ability to pass. We will always be around 50% completion, with head scratching blocking and lack of any intermediate game. It simply is just his system. Just as some systems are all intermediate game. Or all pass and little run. Or whatever. Just STOP looking for an ability to pass. Even some of our best arms, were 50% and had days looking horrible. We can go into 1000 details why this is, but there is a reason, no one who wants a balanced offense asks their OL to do what ours does, asks our QB to drop back the way we do, have no ability to shotgun well, and have a route tree shaped like an arrow, not a tree. At GT is the route arrow.

2 - Sp team cov units and return units will stink. Save unbelievable athleticism masking the units, like thomas, even paul said the unit stunk it was just him. We will never have much of a punt return game and kickoff covg always is awful. Why? Because it takes him 6 games to realize every year he is playing youth and has no depth. We have players who don't understand what being the force is on cov. And we tend to be the nail not the hammer. IMO after 11 years its a trend and coaching. Some of those coaches who run those units are still here. So why expect a change.

3 - Deep shell defense that will give up high completion percentages and the under all day long. Trademark of a CPJ team. It happened under groh, roof, and I hate to say it, but woody ran some deep coverages this year that I rarely if ever saw in app state film. Is this paul? Or woody not trusting a young secondary? I think the latter; I know that was roof's system (maybe thats why paul hired him); but if woody trots out the same deep cover shells NEXT year we have seen at times on early downs then my only conclusion is this is 100% on CPJ dictating the style. Not the playcalls, but telling the guys play back. That used to be what you did 20 years ago. Today you can't. Passing games too efficient.

4 - OL play will never be consistent. It will always be missed assignments or lack of execution. Why? Because its hard for a 300 lber to execute a cut block on an athletic LB or DL consistently. See point #1. There is a reason why teams have switched to zone schemes that block up. Once you fall you are out of the play. His system is fine for a lighter 265 lb OL that needs to cut to stymie a DL due to size issues. We don't have that here. So why haven't we adapted. Its frustrating.

Just these will never be fixed year in and year out. They won't. So stop bothering to hope for it. Thats what I have come to in my conclusions. Sure I could be wrong. And I am sure there are exceptions. But in general, the above is what you get with him.

Dead on..... smh

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I agree mostly, but I think we're looking at this D with rose colored glasses. The ONLY thing our D improved on this year is turnovers. We are just as bad, if not worse, than last years D in almost every other aspect. I think CNW deserves time to right the ship before we get too upset, but to say our D has improved is just false.

In order to right the ship we have to improve our recruiting and/or training. We are small on the DL and small and slow at LB. The secondary is young, and I think talented. They should improve. But Woody isn't a miracle worker - he can only do with what he has. He's a proven coach. We'll see if he can recruit.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Hahaha at GT CPJ is never under any heat. He does what he wants and we all just accept it
Damn awesome isn’t it. Coaches under heat decide to take chances like going for it on 4th down. Our coach say f it, I’m f’ing going for it because you all can’t do a f’ing thing to me anyway so I can do what I damn well please & you’ll kiss my *** for it too.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Could be hogwash, but one of my friends that works with a former player said that CPJ could possibly announce his retirement this week.
If this is true I hope Stansbury is aware & has the replacement locked down. We don’t need a repeat of basketball. Talk about embarassing, an ACC basketball school unable to recruit a coach. I’m still amazed to this day.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
things you are darn near guaranteed under a paul johnson team.

1 - we will never be able to pass. Its just true. Between the scheme, how the OL is asked to block etc, stop looking for the ability to pass. We will always be around 50% completion, with head scratching blocking and lack of any intermediate game. It simply is just his system. Just as some systems are all intermediate game. Or all pass and little run. Or whatever. Just STOP looking for an ability to pass. Even some of our best arms, were 50% and had days looking horrible. We can go into 1000 details why this is, but there is a reason, no one who wants a balanced offense asks their OL to do what ours does, asks our QB to drop back the way we do, have no ability to shotgun well, and have a route tree shaped like an arrow, not a tree. At GT is the route arrow.

2 - Sp team cov units and return units will stink. Save unbelievable athleticism masking the units, like thomas, even paul said the unit stunk it was just him. We will never have much of a punt return game and kickoff covg always is awful. Why? Because it takes him 6 games to realize every year he is playing youth and has no depth. We have players who don't understand what being the force is on cov. And we tend to be the nail not the hammer. IMO after 11 years its a trend and coaching. Some of those coaches who run those units are still here. So why expect a change.

3 - Deep shell defense that will give up high completion percentages and the under all day long. Trademark of a CPJ team. It happened under groh, roof, and I hate to say it, but woody ran some deep coverages this year that I rarely if ever saw in app state film. Is this paul? Or woody not trusting a young secondary? I think the latter; I know that was roof's system (maybe thats why paul hired him); but if woody trots out the same deep cover shells NEXT year we have seen at times on early downs then my only conclusion is this is 100% on CPJ dictating the style. Not the playcalls, but telling the guys play back. That used to be what you did 20 years ago. Today you can't. Passing games too efficient.

4 - OL play will never be consistent. It will always be missed assignments or lack of execution. Why? Because its hard for a 300 lber to execute a cut block on an athletic LB or DL consistently. See point #1. There is a reason why teams have switched to zone schemes that block up. Once you fall you are out of the play. His system is fine for a lighter 265 lb OL that needs to cut to stymie a DL due to size issues. We don't have that here. So why haven't we adapted. Its frustrating.

Just these will never be fixed year in and year out. They won't. So stop bothering to hope for it. Thats what I have come to in my conclusions. Sure I could be wrong. And I am sure there are exceptions. But in general, the above is what you get with him.

It amazes me how some look to your posts for football knowledge and accept it as such. Eye of the beholder I guess. Not a personal attack as I appreciate your passion for the program. I just find your “breakdowns” and generalizations to be almost completely baseless.

LibertyTurns

Banned
In our defense, we were still paying fired basketball and football coaches...lol
Understand but when you’re in a leadership position & you’re dealing with a planned event, ie retiring of a head coach you should not be caught by surprise. He & Paul should be talking and if there is an impending need for a head coach we should be way out ahead of it. Now if this was a “hey I woke up this morning & decided that’s it” I guess I’d understand being a bit flat footed, but Stansbury should have an active list of replacement targets ready. That’s what guys in charge do, not wait to get caught with their pants down like Bobinski.

UNC, bad choice aside, appeared to have their crap together. We need to expect the same.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
It amazes me how some look to your posts for football knowledge and accept it as such. Eye of the beholder I guess. Not a personal attack as I appreciate your passion for the program. I just find your “breakdowns” and generalizations to be almost completely baseless.

I say the same thing about your post.

Status
Not open for further replies.