Paul Johnson time frame.

What gets CPJ fired or encouraged to resign?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

CHE90

Jolly Good Fellow
Still don’t get all the defense love. Yes, we forced or lucked into a ton of turnovers this year. But we still gave up 4 more points per game than we did last year while finishing number 79 in the nation in scoring defense, last year we were in the 60s. Logic tells me our scoring D should improve not decline while tripling our turnovers forced???

Now what the hell is gonna happen to our pathetic scoring D when the turnovers dry up as they’re bound to? Woody still has a lot to prove imo. Oh, and we lose our entire starting DL. Good luck with that.
I'm not sure turnovers are always as lucky as some would suggest. Woody's defences have a history of being in the top 20 in takeaways over the years.

GTFLETCH

Banned
How did Syracuse pass us?
In 13 we beat them 56 To 0.
What changed beside the coach?
I believe the problem is CPJs *COACHING*, backed up by his stubbornness. How many times have you heard him insist the plays were there, but so-and-so didn't run the play right (and you can see that on the video that he's right). But here's the thing - after 10 years through players of all kinds of ratings, intelligence, talent, and tenure, if he can't coach his players to run the system, then that's on him. I don't care what the system is, but you have to be able to coach it. We've had very senior offensive lines at times (for example), like 2015 and strangely we couldn't figure out what to do half the time.

I think the "lose the fanbase" problem started with that TN game. The repose since then has been constant:
- No defense (the D is actually better this year, but the result isn't different enough to translate onto the scoreboard)
- Atrocious special teams
- An offense that can't deliver when it actually seriously matters and, worse than that, tends to turn it over when it really matters
Self-destruction and being mentally unprepared is the fastest way to lose the GT fanbase. That's been the case for two years now.

I remember when Bill Curry was fired or let go and in walked in Bobby Ross (No one thought he could turn Tech around) and then whammy....1990 happened.... Anyone else amazed at what Bronco Mendenhall has done thus far at Virginia, Dino Babers at Cuse?? I do love Tech and Coach Johnson... But to act like we need to shut the football program down when he leaves or retires is being foolish.

THWG16

Ramblin' Wreck
Fans act as if we are a top 10 program. That just changing our head coach will fix everything that is what is so irritating about this whole situation.
It won’t fix everything , cause some of our issues are the “hill”, but it’s obvious the system hurts recruiting ! And I’m tired of people saying “we never have been that good”, I mean what’s wrong with actually trying to be our best & not settling for mediocre ?

Animal02

Banned
It won’t fix everything , cause some of our issues are the “hill”, but it’s obvious the system hurts recruiting ! And I’m tired of people saying “we never have been that good”, I mean what’s wrong with actually trying to be our best & not settling for mediocre ?
The system hurts recruiting is an excuse for not getting the recruits we never would have gotten in the first place

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I'm not sure turnovers are always as lucky as some would suggest. Woody's defences have a history of being in the top 20 in takeaways over the years.

It was top 20 in 17. It was 53 in 16. 34 in 15. 75 in 14. For 13 they were 1.5 which would put them 60th. For 2012 Wofford averaged 1.77 turnovers per game which would put them about 35 ish this year. The year before they were 1.42 which would put them 77th ish. For 2010 they averaged 2.23 which would put them top 10. For 2009 they averaged 1.55 which would put them 55ish. For 2008 they averaged 1.83 which would put them about 20ish. For 2007 they were 2.15 which would put them about 10ish. Prior to that I haven't found the data.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
I believe the problem is CPJs *COACHING*, backed up by his stubbornness. How many times have you heard him insist the plays were there, but so-and-so didn't run the play right (and you can see that on the video that he's right). But here's the thing - after 10 years through players of all kinds of ratings, intelligence, talent, and tenure, if he can't coach his players to run the system, then that's on him. I don't care what the system is, but you have to be able to coach it. We've had very senior offensive lines at times (for example), like 2015 and strangely we couldn't figure out what to do half the time.

I think the "lose the fanbase" problem started with that TN game. The repose since then has been constant:
- No defense (the D is actually better this year, but the result isn't different enough to translate onto the scoreboard)
- An offense that can't deliver when it actually seriously matters and, worse than that, tends to turn it over when it really matters
Self-destruction and being mentally unprepared is the fastest way to lose the GT fanbase. That's been the case for two years now.

I remember when Bill Curry was fired or let go and in walked in Bobby Ross (No one thought he could turn Tech around) and then whammy....1990 happened.... Anyone else amazed at what Bronco Mendenhall has done thus far at Virginia, Dino Babers at Cuse?? I do love Tech and Coach Johnson... But to act like we need to shut the football program down when he leaves or retires is being foolish.

So much doom and gloom and viewing everything through crap lined glasses in this post. You could literally change the team and head coach name and apply this post to most teams in college football.

Syracuse has an all world QB

RedPete

Ramblin' Wreck
Self-destruction and being mentally unprepared is the fastest way to lose the GT fanbase. That's been the case for two years now..

Did you tune-out completely after Clemson?
-The defense started-out spotty but has improved and more importantly caused TURNOVERS all year. And pick-6’s, scoop&scores, and even a Safety.
-Special teams hasn’t allowed a big return since USF, Juanyeh just took 2 to the house in the past 2 games, and Wesley Walls has nailed every single kick.
-The offense has committed ZERO turnovers in 4 out of the last 5 games and came through in the 4th qtr three games in a row to win the game in the clutch.

You’re not alone but too many Tech fans have taken 2017’s struggles & misfortunes and blown them out of proportion into some proverbial “permanent state of the program”, refusing to recognize the wins & positives. Hopefully we can finish 8-5 so people can get back seeing a winning program for 2 out of the past 3 years.

Last edited:

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Did you tune-out completely after Clemson?
-The defense started-out spotty but has improved and more importantly caused TURNOVERS all year. And pick-6’s, scoop&scores, and even a Safety.
-Special teams hasn’t allowed a big return since USF, Juanyeh just took 2 to the house in the past 2 games, and Wesley Walls has nailed every single kick.
-The offense has committed ZERO turnovers in 4 out of the last 5 games and came through in the 4th qtr three games in a row to win the game in the clutch.

You’re not alone but too many Tech fans have taken 2017’s struggles & misfortunes and blown them out of proportion into some proverbial “permanent state of the program”, refusing to recognize the wins & positives. Hopefully we can finish 8-5 so people can get back seeing a winning program for 2 out of the past 3 years.

I agree mostly, but I think we're looking at this D with rose colored glasses. The ONLY thing our D improved on this year is turnovers. We are just as bad, if not worse, than last years D in almost every other aspect. I think CNW deserves time to right the ship before we get too upset, but to say our D has improved is just false.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
things you are darn near guaranteed under a paul johnson team.

1 - we will never be able to pass. Its just true. Between the scheme, how the OL is asked to block etc, stop looking for the ability to pass. We will always be around 50% completion, with head scratching blocking and lack of any intermediate game. It simply is just his system. Just as some systems are all intermediate game. Or all pass and little run. Or whatever. Just STOP looking for an ability to pass. Even some of our best arms, were 50% and had days looking horrible. We can go into 1000 details why this is, but there is a reason, no one who wants a balanced offense asks their OL to do what ours does, asks our QB to drop back the way we do, have no ability to shotgun well, and have a route tree shaped like an arrow, not a tree. At GT is the route arrow.

2 - Sp team cov units and return units will stink. Save unbelievable athleticism masking the units, like thomas, even paul said the unit stunk it was just him. We will never have much of a punt return game and kickoff covg always is awful. Why? Because it takes him 6 games to realize every year he is playing youth and has no depth. We have players who don't understand what being the force is on cov. And we tend to be the nail not the hammer. IMO after 11 years its a trend and coaching. Some of those coaches who run those units are still here. So why expect a change.

3 - Deep shell defense that will give up high completion percentages and the under all day long. Trademark of a CPJ team. It happened under groh, roof, and I hate to say it, but woody ran some deep coverages this year that I rarely if ever saw in app state film. Is this paul? Or woody not trusting a young secondary? I think the latter; I know that was roof's system (maybe thats why paul hired him); but if woody trots out the same deep cover shells NEXT year we have seen at times on early downs then my only conclusion is this is 100% on CPJ dictating the style. Not the playcalls, but telling the guys play back. That used to be what you did 20 years ago. Today you can't. Passing games too efficient.

4 - OL play will never be consistent. It will always be missed assignments or lack of execution. Why? Because its hard for a 300 lber to execute a cut block on an athletic LB or DL consistently. See point #1. There is a reason why teams have switched to zone schemes that block up. Once you fall you are out of the play. His system is fine for a lighter 265 lb OL that needs to cut to stymie a DL due to size issues. We don't have that here. So why haven't we adapted. Its frustrating.

Just these will never be fixed year in and year out. They won't. So stop bothering to hope for it. Thats what I have come to in my conclusions. Sure I could be wrong. And I am sure there are exceptions. But in general, the above is what you get with him.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
things you are darn near guaranteed under a paul johnson team.

1 - we will never be able to pass. Its just true. Between the scheme, how the OL is asked to block etc, stop looking for the ability to pass. We will always be around 50% completion, with head scratching blocking and lack of any intermediate game. It simply is just his system. Just as some systems are all intermediate game. Or all pass and little run. Or whatever. Just STOP looking for an ability to pass. Even some of our best arms, were 50% and had days looking horrible. We can go into 1000 details why this is, but there is a reason, no one who wants a balanced offense asks their OL to do what ours does, asks our QB to drop back the way we do, have no ability to shotgun well, and have a route tree shaped like an arrow, not a tree. At GT is the route arrow.
He sure could pass when he was at Hawaii. So you never comment is wrong.

2 - Sp team cov units and return units will stink. Save unbelievable athleticism masking the units, like thomas, even paul said the unit stunk it was just him. We will never have much of a punt return game and kickoff covg always is awful. Why? Because it takes him 6 games to realize every year he is playing youth and has no depth. We have players who don't understand what being the force is on cov. And we tend to be the nail not the hammer. IMO after 11 years its a trend and coaching. Some of those coaches who run those units are still here. So why expect a change.\
Completely agree. No excuse for being ranked in the 100's

3 - Deep shell defense that will give up high completion percentages and the under all day long. Trademark of a CPJ team. It happened under groh, roof, and I hate to say it, but woody ran some deep coverages this year that I rarely if ever saw in app state film. Is this paul? Or woody not trusting a young secondary? I think the latter; I know that was roof's system (maybe thats why paul hired him); but if woody trots out the same deep cover shells NEXT year we have seen at times on early downs then my only conclusion is this is 100% on CPJ dictating the style. Not the playcalls, but telling the guys play back. That used to be what you did 20 years ago. Today you can't. Passing games too efficient.
For the first time in forever, I am cautiously optimistic about a defense coordinator. I blame the lack of coaching skills by not having enough money for coordinators. We should match our recruiting level at a minimum. Top 50

4 - OL play will never be consistent. It will always be missed assignments or lack of execution. Why? Because its hard for a 300 lber to execute a cut block on an athletic LB or DL consistently. See point #1. There is a reason why teams have switched to zone schemes that block up. Once you fall you are out of the play. His system is fine for a lighter 265 lb OL that needs to cut to stymie a DL due to size issues. We don't have that here. So why haven't we adapted. Its frustrating.
Yep, Poor line coaching. I blame CPJ for not doing something about it.

Just these will never be fixed year in and year out. They won't. So stop bothering to hope for it. Thats what I have come to in my conclusions. Sure I could be wrong. And I am sure there are exceptions. But in general, the above is what you get with him.

Looks like you are only half right. This is more of a vent/rant post instead of a post that has any real thought put into it.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Al Groh made a comment after he was let go that he felt like he was in the twilight zone during some of the staff meetings. Not sure who he was directing that to or why but he sure wasn't happy with his time here.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Al Groh made a comment after he was let go that he felt like he was in the twilight zone during some of the staff meetings. Not sure who he was directing that to or why but he sure wasn't happy with his time here.

One never knows. I worked with a military unit that was looking at strategy in non-military organizations to see what, if anything, they could learn and adapt. Herm Edwards was the head coach at the KC Chiefs. They said it was a total CF there. No organization, no structure whatsoever. And probably a good reason Herm had a 0.313 wpt there.

a5ehren

Jolly Good Fellow
Bronco couldn't beat the worst VT team in a generation (that we *destroyed*) or the GT team you seem to hate so much, and Babers just won his first November game in like 4 years this season. Syracuse is a crap-hole program, but let's not pretend they're working miracles on the level of 1990 GT.

Status
Not open for further replies.