Paul Johnson time frame.

What gets CPJ fired or encouraged to resign?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Truth

Georgia Tech Fan
The administration has shown they support the Stansbury model, which fully embraces the CPJ model of scholastics and character first. If there are other models that might prevail in the future, the proponents better come with a whole lotta money! And I don't get the impression the "fire CPJ" crowd has a $$ nor is ready to spend it.
And I still haven't heard a legitimate name for a new coach.
Not that anyone was serious, because we assume (correctly) we could never get to the money needed, but the proposal to hire the top tier recruiter, conventional offensive genius, Mark Richt sure seems silly after last Saturday.
Obviously, I am a new poster here, but I am not a new GT fan nor am I new to the reality of college football, but this forum seems to be heavily populated with folks who have lost their grasp of reality.

Last edited:

Cam

Helluva Engineer
In the discussion of CPJ graduating players, I thought it was really interesting after the locker rooms were constructed to hear Paul Johnson mention his next wish list item was getting a dedicated study space for the athletes. Seemed like something I haven't heard pushed by many other coaches at their own programs.

Animal02

Banned
The administration has shown they support the Stansbury model, which fully embraces the CPJ model of scholastics and character first. If there are other models that might prevail in the future, the proponents better come with a whole lotta money! And I don't get the impression the "fire CPJ" crowd has a $$ nor is ready to spend it.
Not that anyone was serious, because we assume (correctly) we could never get to the money needed, but the proposal to hire the top tier recruiter, conventional offensive genius, Mark Richt sure seems silly after last Saturday.
Obviously, I am a new poster here, but I am not a new GT fan nor am I new to the reality of college football, but this forum seems to be heavily populated with some folks who have lost their grasp of reality.
First, Welcome.
Second.....I would not say heavily populated.....there are a few though.....and then there are a bevy of arm chair coaches.

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
Paul is #37 so his seat is starting to cool off;)
Uh Oh, you just sent about 10% of the posters on GTSwarm into a state of deep depression. That's sad, because, if you believe their posts, they are the only posters on this site that have any clue about what is best for GT. However, if you were to measure their level of depression, you would find they are only mediocre at being depressed (ok, that last part is tied in with my initiative to get people to be more creative than just slinging the word "mediocre" around when they can't think of any other valid points to support their position).

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Uh Oh, you just sent about 10% of the posters on GTSwarm into a state of deep depression. That's sad, because, if you believe their posts, they are the only posters on this site that have any clue about what is best for GT. However, if you were to measure their level of depression, you would find they are only mediocre at being depressed (ok, that last part is tied in with my initiative to get people to be more creative than just slinging the word "mediocre" around when they can't think of any other valid points to support their position).

Mediocre post.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
Obviously, I am a new poster here, but I am not a new GT fan nor am I new to the reality of college football, but this forum seems to be heavily populated with folks who have lost their grasp of reality.

Don't confuse heavily populated with squeaky wheels. There is a strong silent majority that likes the coach, the offense as well as the helping the student athlete. There are also a number who are honest with their views about wanting a different coach due to their belief that the offense is holding us back, but they are a strong proponent of the student in student athlete.

Then you have the handful of outliers. Every fan-base has them.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
I disagree. The AD is raising money, a LOT of money for reinvestment. The locker rooms have been upgraded. There are plans to redo parts of BDS for a better game day experience. New coaches have been hired. Overall ... we're doing ok.

On a WPCT basis, Tech's lifetime wpct is 0.592 and CPJ's is 0.582, which is hardly a dumpster fire.

We need more ... to win more. But despite ALL of the headwinds, we are still average in the Top Quartile ... and for a school is that is one of the Top 50 STEM schools in the world. I'd say we're doing pretty well.

I understand your line of thinking. I sincerely do. Your first point interestingly enough however is why I believe so strongly that we need a new coach. The purpose in upgrading facilities is to improve recruiting. And make no mistake facilities are a factor in recruiting and the improvements there are much needed. The problem for me is I don't believe Johnson is the coach to take advantage of the improved facilities as I believe his offense is a much larger obstacle to overcome than the current state of our facilities. I don'tthink we will see much of a bump in recruiting despite the fundraising efforts of Stansbury and that is my problem. I actually think the case for keeping Johnson is stronger if the fundraising efforts weren't taking place.

As for your second point about winning percentage your right, it doesn't look that bad when you look at Johnson's entire of body of work. Unfortunately I think you must weight the most recent years more heavily than those a decade ago. If you take just the last 4 years our record is 23-23.

Last edited:

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
In the discussion of CPJ graduating players, I thought it was really interesting after the locker rooms were constructed to hear Paul Johnson mention his next wish list item was getting a dedicated study space for the athletes. Seemed like something I haven't heard pushed by many other coaches at their own programs.
I don't know that Clemson was the first or even one of the first, but a big part of their football building is a large section for study and tutoring, Not just a place to study, but a sly way to monitor their study habits.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I understand your line of thinking. I sincerely do. Your first point interestingly enough however is why I believe so strongly that we need a new coach. The purpose in upgrading facilities is to improve recruiting. And make no mistake facilities are a factor in recruiting and the improvements there are much needed. The problem for me is I don't believe Johnson is the coach to take advantage of the improved facilities as I believe his offense is a much larger obstacle to overcome than the current state of our facilities. I don'tthink we will see much of a bump in recruiting despite the fundraising efforts of Stansbury and that is my problem. I actually think the case for keeping Johnson is stronger if the fundraising efforts weren't taking place.

As for your second point about winning percentage your right, it doesn't look that bad when you look at Johnson's entire of body of work. Unfortunately I think you must weight the most recent years more heavily than those a decade ago. If you take just the last 4 years our record is 23-23.

Sparkybob

Georgia Tech Fan
I am new here but have been following Tech football for a while so I wanted to chime in. I have no ties to GT other than just wanting to find a CFB team to root for in the mid-2010's and I always liked CPJ's offense so I picked Tech. That was just to give some context on my fandom.

I know others can disagree but I do think CPJ's offense is a net positive for the school even if it might be minimal. I think in terms of FB GT is basically an average P5 team in terms of fanbase/institutional support/recent success so having something that can make you stand out is important. For example, South Carolina is in a similar situation to us but does an average CFB fan know anything about the program other than maybe who their HC is? I doubt it but I can be wrong. At least if someone brings up GT the first reaction is oh they are that option team followed by either a positive/negative reaction to that offense. But least the brand recognition is there.

I think the option has helped improved brand recognition in that people know your school for something so even if GT is out of the national spotlight fans still know what you do. I think this is similar to Iowa/Texas Tech who both have not been great lately but I can instinctively tell you, oh Iowa runs a lot of power I and play great defense and TT just throw the ball 80 times. That to me has some value in a realm where there are 120+ FBS teams all vying for attention

I understand how CPJ's offense can make chasing stars on offense more difficult but if he can coach up 3-star players to be 4-star players then to me it's not a big deal. Recruiting rankings are such a crapshoot anyways that I don't take them too seriously when judging if a guy can recruit. The WR position is the one spot I am concern about in recruiting since to my eye test there has been a talent downgrade since the Smelter/Waller days. Not disrespecting the guys who play hard now but they are not as talented/productive as the guys before them right now. Other than that if the offense keeps being a top 25 offense then who cares about their recruiting star rating.

Overall my thoughts are that football has been given the funding and support of a 7 win program and that is what CPJ has basically given them the last 3 seasons. So I want him to stay because I think he does bring a lot of positive to the school and at least for me I love hearing on-screen analysts/fans say how much they fear playing Georgia Tech because of their offense. That always brings a smile to my face.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Has nothing to do with what we are talking about which is football.

You may want to listen, closely, to TStan's recent podcast.

First, per TStan, the price of admission to sports today is investment. UNC has a campaign for $500 million. Wake Forest as one for $300 million. Our AI 2020 is trying deliver $125 million. And given the option, coaches will go where they see the commitment of the school. In Tech's case, I believe that a good head coach will come AFTER we have made progress on delivering on those investments, not just talking about those investments.

Second, the purpose of the upgraded facilities is to recruit, yes ... but more importantly, and in TStan's own words ... the formula for success at Tech lies in attracting talent the best student-athlete possible, but more importantly developing that talent. And that may not include finding a bunch of 5 star athletes, but rather finding 2-3 star athletes and developing them into 5 star athletes through a combination of technology, science, nutrition, etc. So, it's not CPJ alone ... it's the entire GTAA that is to surround the coach (in every sport) and help them be successful. [This is TStan's view ... recruiting 2-3 stars and developing ... ]

Third, I find no evidence that recruiting suffers because we run the TO. It's hard to imagine that we would replace a productive offense with one that is less productive and think we are improving. Again, per TStan ... "we will not beat Clemson by being Clemson". We have to do it the Georgia Tech Way.

Your point about only looking at the last 4 years is fine. But if we do, I find the numbers to be 28-22, not 23-23 ... which is 0.56 wpct. Again, not where we want to be ... but not horrible either. Regardless, even the best coaches can't coach if the development resources are not present ... and they haven't been. So, unless the season is a real dumpster fire, I don't see TStan pulling the plug on CPJ unless he has to. And right now, he doesn't.

Long story short ... CPJ is most definitely leaving. Of that, there is no question. But I think he will leave when we are further along in the Initiative and not this year.

Moreover, I am convinced that whoever the new coach is ... that coach will have to run an unconventional system so as not to out-Clemson Clemson. The TO is productive ... any new system will have to be moreso. Otherwise, why change it.

Good debate. But I think TStan knows exactly what he's trying to do ... we only have to decipher it.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I am new here but have been following Tech football for a while so I wanted to chime in. I have no ties to GT other than just wanting to find a CFB team to root for in the mid-2010's and I always liked CPJ's offense so I picked Tech. That was just to give some context on my fandom.

Thanks for posting. and welcome! It's always interesting to hear perspective like this. Most of us follow the Jackets because we or someone we know went to school there...seems like there are very few who willingly and voluntarily choose the path less traveled.

Animal02

Banned
I understand your line of thinking. I sincerely do.
But you ignore all the facts to push your narrative.
Your first point interestingly however is why I believe so strongly that we need a new coach. The purpose in upgrading facilities is to improve recruiting. And make no mistake facilities are a factor in recruiting and the improvements there are much needed. The problem for me is I don't believe Johnson is the coach to take advantage of the improved facilities as I believe his offense is a much larger obstacle to overcome than the current state of our facilities. I don'tthink we will see much of a bump in recruiting despite the fundraising efforts of Stansbury and that is my problem. I actually think the case for keeping Johnson is stronger if the fundraising efforts weren't taking place.

Regardless of the facts....this is the narrative to try to push and push and push. Everything is spun the conform to your narrative you are trying to sell.
Thankfully, few are buying.

stech81

Helluva Engineer

I know others can disagree but I do think CPJ's offense is a net positive for the school even if it might be minimal. I think in terms of FB GT is basically an average P5 team in terms of fanbase/institutional support/recent success so having something that can make you stand out is important. For example, South Carolina is in a similar situation to us but does an average CFB fan know anything about the program other than maybe who their HC is? I doubt it but I can be wrong. At least if someone brings up GT the first reaction is oh they are that option team followed by either a positive/negative reaction to that offense. But least the brand recognition is there.

I think the option has helped improved brand recognition in that people know your school for something so even if GT is out of the national spotlight fans still know what you do. I think this is similar to Iowa/Texas Tech who both have not been great lately but I can instinctively tell you, oh Iowa runs a lot of power I and play great defense and TT just throw the ball 80 times. That to me has some value in a realm where there are 120+ FBS teams all vying for attention

I understand how CPJ's offense can make chasing stars on offense more difficult but if he can coach up 3-star players to be 4-star players then to me it's not a big deal. Recruiting rankings are such a crapshoot anyways that I don't take them too seriously when judging if a guy can recruit. The WR position is the one spot I am concern about in recruiting since to my eye test there has been a talent downgrade since the Smelter/Waller days. Not disrespecting the guys who play hard now but they are not as talented/productive as the guys before them right now. Other than that if the offense keeps being a top 25 offense then who cares about their recruiting star rating.

Overall my thoughts are that football has been given the funding and support of a 7 win program and that is what CPJ has basically given them the last 3 seasons. So I want him to stay because I think he does bring a lot of positive to the school and at least for me I love hearing on-screen analysts/fans say how much they fear playing Georgia Tech because of their offense. That always brings a smile to my face.
Welcome

GT_05

Helluva Engineer

Great first post!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
You may want to listen, closely, to TStan's recent podcast.

First, per TStan, the price of admission to sports today is investment. UNC has a campaign for $500 million. Wake Forest as one for $300 million. Our AI 2020 is trying deliver $125 million. And given the option, coaches will go where they see the commitment of the school. In Tech's case, I believe that a good head coach will come AFTER we have made progress on delivering on those investments, not just talking about those investments.

Second, the purpose of the upgraded facilities is to recruit, yes ... but more importantly, and in TStan's own words ... the formula for success at Tech lies in attracting talent the best student-athlete possible, but more importantly developing that talent. And that may not include finding a bunch of 5 star athletes, but rather finding 2-3 star athletes and developing them into 5 star athletes through a combination of technology, science, nutrition, etc. So, it's not CPJ alone ... it's the entire GTAA that is to surround the coach (in every sport) and help them be successful. [This is TStan's view ... recruiting 2-3 stars and developing ... ]

Third, I find no evidence that recruiting suffers because we run the TO. It's hard to imagine that we would replace a productive offense with one that is less productive and think we are improving. Again, per TStan ... "we will not beat Clemson by being Clemson". We have to do it the Georgia Tech Way.

Your point about only looking at the last 4 years is fine. But if we do, I find the numbers to be 28-22, not 23-23 ... which is 0.56 wpct. Again, not where we want to be ... but not horrible either. Regardless, even the best coaches can't coach if the development resources are not present ... and they haven't been. So, unless the season is a real dumpster fire, I don't see TStan pulling the plug on CPJ unless he has to. And right now, he doesn't.

Long story short ... CPJ is most definitely leaving. Of that, there is no question. But I think he will leave when we are further along in the Initiative and not this year.

Moreover, I am convinced that whoever the new coach is ... that coach will have to run an unconventional system so as not to out-Clemson Clemson. The TO is productive ... any new system will have to be moreso. Otherwise, why change it.

Good debate. But I think TStan knows exactly what he's trying to do ... we only have to decipher it.

TStan is probably more relieved than anyone at the season turnaround. If we ended up 4-8 or 5-7 like a lot of us expected, it would have put him in an uncomfortable spot. I don't believe he wants to put this job on the market just yet and now his hand won't be forced. He can do things on the timeline he originally intended.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
TStan is probably more relieved than anyone at the season turnaround. If we ended up 4-8 or 5-7 like a lot of us expected, it would have put him in an uncomfortable spot. I don't believe he wants to put this job on the market just yet and now his hand won't be forced.

I think you are exactly right. Not only was Miami a win, but the crowd was perhaps the best of the year. Long time STH'rs and donors I know were engaged and enjoying themselves. I don't see TStan moving on CPJ until at least 2020 ... which gives him a lot of time to focus on implementing the infrastructure part of his vision.

Status
Not open for further replies.