Paul Johnson time frame.

What gets CPJ fired or encouraged to resign?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Key negative recruited Tech while at UCF. He's not going to work for/with CPJ.

I know there was a particular instance of Key 'negative recruiting' GT. So, maybe CPJ would hold a grudge and refuse to bring him in. But, if we're going to disqualify anyone who has ever 'negative recruited' against us. We're disqualifying the vast majority of coaches with experience in college in the South East in the last 10 years... Also, I'd like to see us bring in Key, because I think he's a good resource. But that's not a prediction. I don't think it's likely.

We will also not hire as head coach someone who's not a proven winner as a head coach or proven game-changer as coordinator. Our next hire will be someone who has demonstrated the ability to do more (on field success) with less (player talent on paper).

If we're filling an open job, I agree that's what we'd want. But, given TStan's history as an administrator and how he likes to run his programs. I predict he'll try to bring in some prospects for a possible internal hire. If CNW has us as a Top 40 D in two years, I think he'll at least get an interview.

Also, with our resources, brand, and support, it'll be really tough to hire a "proven winner or game changer". I hate to say it, but the truth is we're a second tier coaching job at best. No in-demand coach is going to pick us over most other P5 jobs. CPJ was a 'never-was' (at the major college level), CCG was a 'has been', O'Leary was an internal hire, Ross was a Maryland castoff. F****** B*** L**** was the only 'hot name' we've hired in a generation... we saw how that worked out.

For those unhappy with CPJ, ask yourselves about your attitude toward Richt as a coach at georgie. Some of you are on record, I think. If you thought Richt was a good coach because he could get 9-10 wins out of top5 talent, hopefully the last 3 years have shown you that you may be too shallow in your thinking.

I thought he was a good coach (Top 15) , when he was winning 10 a year consistently. I was wrong. I'll admit it.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
IMO, CPJ has saved his job this season by making a bowl game and I agree he should be taken off the hot seat for this season.
However it pans out, when the time comes to hire the next HC, I really hope we go away from the pure TO offense.
If you don't think it has effected our recruiting, go down the list of our 2019 commitments and look at the schools we competed with on their recruitment ... very few P5 Schools.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
We are raising 900,000 for better recruiting and 70,000,000 for a new shiney building for gtaa. We will need to up recruiting if we want a proven pt coach or are serious about a wider net.

Guess t stan will roll that into the new hire.

IF Coach had had more recruiting from day one.
But day one he came on like a house a fire and then again in 14.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
The "head coach in waiting" thing almost never works out, but I could maybe see Stansbury do it again like he did at UCF with Key.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
If you don't think it has effected our recruiting, go down the list of our 2019 commitments and look at the schools we competed with on their recruitment ... very few P5 Schools.

Hard to say. Look at UT. Jeremy Pruitt said of all the players on the team, only 2 were pursued by either UGA(g) or Bama ... meaning, not at all.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I bet Gailey wishes he had this type of support from the fanbase a little over a decade ago. The program was in better shape having never missed a bowl game and recruiting better.

Crazy how the perception of our program has diminished among our fans to the point we are now willing to take results we wouldn’t stand for a decade ago.
I *hated* the GT program under Gailey....

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
OK, first..... full disclosure...I was one of those posters who thought we'd only win two or at most three games this year.

I have NEVER thought GT's problems were CPJ's fault. I have always felt that for GT to be truly competitive in big-time college sports, we'd have to play the game the way the big boys play it with tons of institutional support regarding academics, majors, and tutors. Like Clemson and FSU do it. I know many on this board disagree (some vehemently) with that course of action. In point of fact, I have always liked CPJ. I find him to be gruff but direct and honest and I have always thought he had a much greater grasp of the sport than me (or any other poster) has.

All that is by way of background.

I find myself still disliking this offense. This even KNOWING that (1) CPJ is a master at it, and (2) it works for us (generally)

So, I have been trying to analyze why this emotional response has become so strong within me these last two years. I think the simplest answer is that when we do not have an effective passing threat, that we seem so one dimensional that anyone with a good rush defense can dominate our offense. The frustration of playing a Clemson, or a Miami, when we have no effective passing threat, is an intense frustration because I know that pretty much anyhting we try will fail. NB-in my book, we beat Miami last week precisely because we DID have an effective passing attack. Effective does NOT mean you have to throw it 20 times a game, but you MUST be able to complete it when you do throw it. If we had not completed that TD pass to Brad Stewart in the 3rd quarter, or the 3rd down pass to Camp in the 4th quarter, I believe we would have lost to Miami. And until the Miami game, we had not been effective in our passing. (Also please note, I am well aware that if our O line can beat their D line, we don't ever need to pass. That only happens when we play inferior opponents however, not when we play decent teams.)

So, I guess this is a very long-winded way of saying that this offense sucks when we cannot pass effectively and is dreadful to watch in that circumstance. We now have had one game where we could pass effectively. I guess the question is as we approach the next two games against solid teams....will we continue to pass effectively? Or will we revert to passing form of the last 1 and 1/2 years? Or, asked another way....was last weekend a fluke? Or have we finally figured out how to execute a solid passing attack?

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
OK, first..... full disclosure...I was one of those posters who thought we'd only win two or at most three games this year.

I have NEVER thought GT's problems were CPJ's fault. I have always felt that for GT to be truly competitive in big-time college sports, we'd have to play the game the way the big boys play it with tons of institutional support regarding academics, majors, and tutors. Like Clemson and FSU do it. I know many on this board disagree (some vehemently) with that course of action. In point of fact, I have always liked CPJ. I find him to be gruff but direct and honest and I have always thought he had a much greater grasp of the sport than me (or any other poster) has.

All that is by way of background.

I find myself still disliking this offense. This even KNOWING that (1) CPJ is a master at it, and (2) it works for us (generally)

So, I have been trying to analyze why this emotional response has become so strong within me these last two years. I think the simplest answer is that when we do not have an effective passing threat, that we seem so one dimensional that anyone with a good rush defense can dominate our offense. The frustration of playing a Clemson, or a Miami, when we have no effective passing threat, is an intense frustration because I know that pretty much anyhting we try will fail. NB-in my book, we beat Miami last week precisely because we DID have an effective passing attack. Effective does NOT mean you have to throw it 20 times a game, but you MUST be able to complete it when you do throw it. If we had not completed that TD pass to Brad Stewart in the 3rd quarter, or the 3rd down pass to Camp in the 4th quarter, I believe we would have lost to Miami. And until the Miami game, we had not been effective in our passing. (Also please note, I am well aware that if our O line can beat their D line, we don't ever need to pass. That only happens when we play inferior opponents however, not when we play decent teams.)

So, I guess this is a very long-winded way of saying that this offense sucks when we cannot pass effectively and is dreadful to watch in that circumstance. We now have had one game where we could pass effectively. I guess the question is as we approach the next two games against solid teams....will we continue to pass effectively? Or will we revert to passing form of the last 1 and 1/2 years? Or, asked another way....was last weekend a fluke? Or have we finally figured out how to execute a solid passing attack?

If you're waiting for us to have a solid passing attack, you're probably going to have to wait until next year. We can hit some big plays and have a good game here and there, but passing just isn't TQM's game.

LibertyTurns

Banned
@MWBATL Very good points. You’re spot on about the passing. Zero is obviously not the answer unless we’re pounding the crap out of an opponent & then it’s generally less efficient than running. Not sure why we can’t seem to land a solid dual threat guy. Seems the perfect fit for what we do.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Every offense needs a response when one phase of their game is being stopped, that's for certain. The threat (and execution) of a pass is meant to be that response. As @MWBATL points out, if we do not have a passing threat as a response, we will struggle against teams selling out to stop the run.

This is true of other offenses though. LSU sold out to stop UGA's run threat and put the game in the hands of Fromm who was unable to get the job done. Any offense that is forced to become one dimensional and can't execute on that dimension will fail.

I've said before that the biggest thing we miss from JT is the comeback route he and Smelter perfected to the sticks for consistent first downs. We weren't a great passing team in 2014, but when we needed a big throw, the team had ways of getting it done. In 2015 with atrocious line play, JT never had time to drop back, let alone set his feet to throw. I don't think JT forgot how to throw in 2015, yet obviously our performance due to oline play led to us being one dimensional and not executing pass plays when we needed them.

Ranked NC State's QB is a projected first rounder and they lost to Wake Forest (bottom 90 def according to FO) only putting up 23 points in 13 drives and 90 plays. That's less than 2 points per drive against Wake.
We just put up 27 points in 8 drives and only 57 plays against Miami (top 10 def according to FO).

Some games we get beat, but the main majority of football teams get beat throughout a season. We have had historic success running this offense at our school just taking it at face value. If you add in the fact that we are being out recruited and out spent across the board, it is actually amazing what we have been able to do. We need to be better at defense. We need to be better at special teams. We do not need a new offense.

Status
Not open for further replies.