Paul Johnson time frame.

What gets CPJ fired or encouraged to resign?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
I think you are exactly right. Not only was Miami a win, but the crowd was perhaps the best of the year. Long time STH'rs and donors I know were engaged and enjoying themselves. I don't see TStan moving on CPJ until at least 2020 ... which gives him a lot of time to focus on implementing the infrastructure part of his vision.
I think CPJ will be at GT until 2021 and he will have a big ACC farewell tour that season. I think it could be possible that during practice in August 2021 Paul could announce that 2021 would be his last season.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
The purpose in upgrading facilities is to improve recruiting. And make no mistake facilities are a factor in recruiting and the improvements there are much needed. The problem for me is I don't believe Johnson is the coach to take advantage of the improved facilities as I believe his offense is a much larger obstacle to overcome than the current state of our facilities. I don't think we will see much of a bump in recruiting despite the fundraising efforts of Stansbury and that is my problem. I actually think the case for keeping Johnson is stronger if the fundraising efforts weren't taking place.

I agree that the best reason to consider bringing in a new coach is excitement/momentum. Not much a coach can do in year 11 to build excitement except win. But I disagree that the offense is the problem for recruiting.

How do you measure "recruiting"? If you're talking Star rankings; a conventional offense might raise our rating marginally with the right coach. But, only because the rankings are not a rating of a players' athletic ability. They are a rating of how desired the player is by "top programs".

The folks writing for 247 are not going out and evaluating players. If they were actually good at doing that, they be working at Bama making 10x more money. The top programs do evaluate talent, so the rankings are a proxy for specific abilities they're looking for. But the rankings have limited utility when looking at players that don't fit the prevailing system. In an alternate universe, where the factories ran the 3O and Tech ran an air raid. JeT would have been a high 5* and Trevor Lawrence would have been a 3/4* athlete recruited as a WR. There's overlap, but our 'prototype' at each position is different from Bama's under the current offense.

If you evaluate recruiting on the results. Tech's offensive recruiting has been really good under CPJ. Our offense ratings total offense, SP+, FEI, whatever you want to look at have been consistently well above our recruiting rank. Defense less so, and that's a fair knock on the head coach. But the mob is talking about changing the offense not the defense. I just don't buy the argument that the offense hurts defensive recruiting. If you believe that we'll have to agree to disagree.

I haven't seen a real example of any coach really moving the needle on recruiting at any school. The schools that rise and fall in the rankings it's money, facilities, branding, (and we find out later cheating), not the head coach.

James Franklin got a lot of press for being a "great recruiter" at Vandy. The 4 years before he got to Vandy their average class ranking was 66, he elevated it to 43, after he left it's been ~50. They never really won anything, even when the SEC-E was way down.

So, maybe, if we got a coach whose best skill was recruiting, we could move up 10-15 spots on average, with the occasional better class. Have us around 35th in recruiting, that's still never going to be enough to out-talent Clemson, UGA and Miami... Right now we're recruiting around 50th rank. Our Offense is consistently top 25 (often better), the defense has been lower than 75. Let say a great recruiter comes in to run a pro-style offense and raises our recruiting ranking to 35th. A offense and defense performing on par with recruiting isn't going to be a top 25 team.

IMHO, we have to do something different than the competition if we want to win. Based on his podcast, T-Stan agrees.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I think CPJ will be at GT until 2021 and he will have a big ACC farewell tour that season. I think it could be possible that during practice in August 2021 Paul could announce that 2021 would be his last season.

I agree the announcement will probably come ahead of time. Maybe even sooner than the Spring before CPJ retires. (Unless the W-L record forces TStans hand)

TStan is a forward looking leader. When TStan was at UCF he had a succession plan in place for O'Leary (though it got scrapped after TStan left). I would bet money he already has some ideas of how to transition. Whatever else he is, CPJ is a straight shooter and stand-up guy, he won't poison the well for TStan. I could see a headcoach-in-waiting being announced as early as next year.

I'd really like to see TStan bring in Brent Key this year (they have a relationship from UCF). As co-OL coach, associate head coach, and recruiting coordinator. Let him work with CPJ on planning a transition to a hybrid spread option offense in a few years.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
To the new posters welcome.

The next 2 games can easily go in a very good or very bad direction for Coach and GT.
OVER THE LAST 4 YEARS This site has gone from content rich environment to blog that has every thread devolve into mean girl bantering. I hope 18 ends either very well or very badly.

As to what really matters is the big money folks like the million dollar RV people in W21. THEY All SAY THEY HAVE GIVEN to Tstans new edge center but they are not as happy with the last 4 years as the long time posters here. T stan's fund raising is betting that the end of 18 is not in the mediocre middle . He doesn't want to defend coach while asking for the second donation of the usual 3 donations.
The W21 folks were shocked at my optimism about miami and uva and only wanted to talk about who the next coach will be. If they stall at giving the drive can become a joke.to be knit picked to death.

As I posted right after the 4 th quarter genius offensive coaching and team execution, coach is here thru 19.

Here
I want the blog to get back to more people with inside the program knowledge to chime in.

Imo
The vitriol against each other needs to be toned down and the content (facts, number, pictures) needs to increase.

I think best chance for this blog is for GT winning out.
Step 1 after the Duke fiasco the do or die victory at VT . CHECK- thanks Coach
Step 2- win ugly at UNC CHECK-thanks team character.
Step 3 - team win pulling away in 4th quarter against NFL talent M. CHECK- thanks coaches and team.
Step 4 - team beat down of uva (Future speculation by me =The ol is doing very well against 3 man DL that doesn't have an NFL NT. and packs the LB inside) CHECK TBD
Step 5 - full playbook against Uga - WAR like effort. CHECK TBD

So all the gt swarm guys and the W21 tailgaters get ready to send tstan A CHECK WITH BIG NUMBERS.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I agree the announcement will probably come ahead of time. Maybe even sooner than the Spring before CPJ retires. (Unless the W-L record forces TStans hand)

TStan is a forward looking leader. When TStan was at UCF he had a succession plan in place for O'Leary (though it got scrapped after TStan left). I would bet money he already has some ideas of how to transition. Whatever else he is, CPJ is a straight shooter and stand-up guy, he won't poison the well for TStan. I could see a headcoach-in-waiting being announced as early as next year.

I'd really like to see TStan bring in Brent Key this year (they have a relationship from UCF). As co-OL coach, associate head coach, and recruiting coordinator. Let him work with CPJ on planning a transition to a hybrid spread option offense in a few years.

Key negative recruited Tech while at UCF. He's not going to work for/with CPJ.

We will also not hire as head coach someone who's not a proven winner as a head coach or proven game-changer as coordinator. Our next hire will be someone who has demonstrated the ability to do more (on field success) with less (player talent on paper).

For those unhappy with CPJ, ask yourselves about your attitude toward Richt as a coach at georgie. Some of you are on record, I think. If you thought Richt was a good coach because he could get 9-10 wins out of top5 talent, hopefully the last 3 years have shown you that you may be too shallow in your thinking.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
We will also not hire as head coach someone who's not a proven winner as a head coach or proven game-changer as coordinator. Our next hire will be someone who has demonstrated the ability to do more (on field success) with less (player talent on paper).

Hard to say. I look at TN and they couldn't get a head coach with experience to even look at them. If it is a HC, he'll be from a lesser conference. Otherwise, an asst from a P5 program.

Key probably fits the bill. Although ... I think TStan is going to hire another TO coach.

Animal02

Banned
Hard to say. I look at TN and they couldn't get a head coach with experience to even look at them. If it is a HC, he'll be from a lesser conference. Otherwise, an asst from a P5 program.

Key probably fits the bill. Although ... I think TStan is going to hire another TO coach.
Getting a top notch HC will be much easier with CPJ retiring when he is ready to , instead of letting him go because so people don't like the offense.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Is this the longest thread in gtswarm history? I think this thing has hit legendary status (y)

It's probably going to continue until 2020, at least. I may check out of this one, though. It's fun to speculate about the future but there is no immediate need for a new coach.

I predict we will have a new coach...someday.

buzzed

Jolly Good Fellow
We will have a new coach in either 2020 or 2021 guaranteed
I know you’re not a fan, but I don’t think that’s guaranteed. If we get the right QB (maybe Graham or one of the incoming freshmen) and CPJ sees the chance to do something special, he could stick around a few more years. For now, I’m excited about the possibility of a healthy Lucas Johnson.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I agree that the best reason to consider bringing in a new coach is excitement/momentum. Not much a coach can do in year 11 to build excitement except win. But I disagree that the offense is the problem for recruiting.

How do you measure "recruiting"? If you're talking Star rankings; a conventional offense might raise our rating marginally with the right coach. But, only because the rankings are not a rating of a players' athletic ability. They are a rating of how desired the player is by "top programs".

The folks writing for 247 are not going out and evaluating players. If they were actually good at doing that, they be working at Bama making 10x more money. The top programs do evaluate talent, so the rankings are a proxy for specific abilities they're looking for. But the rankings have limited utility when looking at players that don't fit the prevailing system. In an alternate universe, where the factories ran the 3O and Tech ran an air raid. JeT would have been a high 5* and Trevor Lawrence would have been a 3/4* athlete recruited as a WR. There's overlap, but our 'prototype' at each position is different from Bama's under the current offense.

If you evaluate recruiting on the results. Tech's offensive recruiting has been really good under CPJ. Our offense ratings total offense, SP+, FEI, whatever you want to look at have been consistently well above our recruiting rank. Defense less so, and that's a fair knock on the head coach. But the mob is talking about changing the offense not the defense. I just don't buy the argument that the offense hurts defensive recruiting. If you believe that we'll have to agree to disagree.

I haven't seen a real example of any coach really moving the needle on recruiting at any school. The schools that rise and fall in the rankings it's money, facilities, branding, (and we find out later cheating), not the head coach.

James Franklin got a lot of press for being a "great recruiter" at Vandy. The 4 years before he got to Vandy their average class ranking was 66, he elevated it to 43, after he left it's been ~50. They never really won anything, even when the SEC-E was way down.

So, maybe, if we got a coach whose best skill was recruiting, we could move up 10-15 spots on average, with the occasional better class. Have us around 35th in recruiting, that's still never going to be enough to out-talent Clemson, UGA and Miami... Right now we're recruiting around 50th rank. Our Offense is consistently top 25 (often better), the defense has been lower than 75. Let say a great recruiter comes in to run a pro-style offense and raises our recruiting ranking to 35th. A offense and defense performing on par with recruiting isn't going to be a top 25 team.

IMHO, we have to do something different than the competition if we want to win. Based on his podcast, T-Stan agrees.

I do agree that it's good for us to do something different than the competition, but recruiting does suffer somewhat. It's a trade-off, and one that I think works in our favor. Somewhat.

I don't agree that the star ratings are purely a product of who wants who. There's some fan base bias, but if that was the predominant factor there wouldn't be the strong correlation between top-ten teams and top-ten recruiting. You'll find exceptions, but in general the correlation is strong.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
I know you’re not a fan, but I don’t think that’s guaranteed. If we get the right QB (maybe Graham or one of the incoming freshmen) and CPJ sees the chance to do something special, he could stick around a few more years. For now, I’m excited about the possibility of a healthy Lucas Johnson.
I think he will retire probably after 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.