Pastner Staff Thread

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Techs best teams were Oklahoma (Price), NYC (Salley & Dalrymple), Florida )Hammonds), Maryland (Ferrell), ..... I think the focus on recruiting Atlanta is overblown

If you want to go all the way back to SHW days then by all means knock yourself out. There is this idea the world changes and stuff like that. Pastner doesn't have SHW's connections to NY and more importantly the BB talent in the local market (ATL and beyond) is an order of magnitude better than it was in the 80's/90's. You can get the guts of a really good team picking the best of the GA market and adding in parts you can't find here. I wouldn't suggest ignoring the rest of the country but it is a heck of a lot easier to recruit locally - multiple unofficial visits and ability to see multiple AAU games/practices. Not taking the time and effort to really mine the local market would be a huge mistake IMHO

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I am hoping (and expecting) we have at least one if not more assts hired by Thursday

Since he can't talk to recruits for the next 4 days he should have time to interview potential assts.
i also doubt he really wants to go into the evaluation period this upcoming weekend by himself. It limits not only how many recruits you can watch - but also how many recruits see you watching them.

I'm sort of thinking he hires 2 by Thursday and the last asst spot (and possibly D ops) comes a little later. But I have no info, just my guess.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
FWIW, if we hire a Dir/Ops, we can petition to allow them on the road during the interim period that we don't have our full complement of assistants on the road. St. John's did this last year when they hired Mullin. They had 2 asst spots filled, but didn't have a 3rd, so Mullin's brother got certified to be out on the road.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Recruit the best talent. Argument over.

Not really. The reason recruiting GA and Atlanta heavily is a priority is because, in theory, it should take less time commitment to reap the same effects. Recruits tend to want to stay near home, and traveling to watch games/make visits is less time as well. Obviously that doesn't mean only recruit local, but it should be the top priority. If Pastner can lock down the state, then he can get the core of a team that can compete in the ACC from that, and focus out of state recruiting on the prospects that will put us over the top.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Not really. The reason recruiting GA and Atlanta heavily is a priority is because, in theory, it should take less time commitment to reap the same effects. Recruits tend to want to stay near home, and traveling to watch games/make visits is less time as well. Obviously that doesn't mean only recruit local, but it should be the top priority. If Pastner can lock down the state, then he can get the core of a team that can compete in the ACC from that, and focus out of state recruiting on the prospects that will put us over the top.

I know. I'm a huge advocate of recruiting GA and locking down the home front. I think not doing so is foolish really, both because of geography but also because of what is going on talent wise in GA.

The other part is the second reason I like the idea of hiring Bruiser Flint to the staff. Apart from having over 300+ HC wins to his name, He has (presumably) strong NE connections, specifically, Philly, having spent the last (?) 15 years at Drexel. He is also a Calipari disciple to boot.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
No on KA. He needs to get his life in order. He's in no shape to be a college asst. He was supposed to be a coach of a HS team in Miami and didn't even make it to the first game.

I hadn't thought about D Ops but you are completely correct DTM. If you don't have a full staff yet but have hired your D Ops you can petition to have them be able to recruit off campus until you have your full staff. Since I am expecting us to likely hire someone local for D Ops that would make alot of sense for next weekend assuming the staff isn't complete.

Also, no assts from Memphis are expected to join him in atlanta (Which is probably a good thing). Stoudamire got the HC job at Pacific, Lawson will stay in Memphis with his sons, and Kirby is likely to join the staff at TX A&M.

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
Also, no assts from Memphis are expected to join him in atlanta (Which is probably a good thing). Stoudamire got the HC job at Pacific, Lawson will stay in Memphis with his sons, and Kirby is likely to join the staff at TX A&M.

This is the best news yet.

DaBiz

Georgia Tech Fan
I heard Kenny Anderson said he wanted to be an assistant and help with player development and recruiting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm sure he would...he always wants a coaching job, just isn't willing to get his life straight to do it.

I'm sure even Bobby would say absolutely not.