Pastner Staff Thread

tigerrrrs

Banned
I don't know much about any of the names being thrown around but I'd like to see at least one guy that's somewhat on the "seasoned" side of college coaching experience.

Good luck. Memphis has been trying to get him to hire an experienced assistant coach for the last 6 years. He refused to! He doesn't want anyone on his bench who can out coach him.

Buzz776g

Jolly Good Fellow
Good luck. Memphis has been trying to get him to hire an experienced assistant coach for the last 6 years. He refused to! He doesn't want anyone on his bench who can out coach him.
And perhaps one of his conditions of employment here is that he will in fact hire same and listen to him?

Might it be that we have a slightly more competent, trustworthy and authoritative AD than you do?

Yeesh.

Buzz776g

Jolly Good Fellow
That's mean.
So is the troll. Me no like trolls.

I want to be enthusiastic about CJP until or unless I have thorough and good reason not to be. Coming on our board and gloating seems childish. Fine if he does it on his own boards, in like-minded company; I'd sympathize with that. Not here.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
So is the troll. Me no like trolls.

I want to be enthusiastic about CJP until or unless I have thorough and good reason not to be. Coming on our board and gloating seems childish. Fine if he does it on his own boards, in like-minded company; I'd sympathize with that. Not here.
What's mean is to imply our AD is better than their's. (tic)

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Was hoping this might be our Xs & Os assistant, but looks unlikely. NC State is willing to pay up to cover Gottfried's flaws, but if we get the same results from CJP that NC State has gotten from Gottfried, I wouldn't be upset.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Was hoping this might be our Xs & Os assistant, but looks unlikely. NC State is willing to pay up to cover Gottfried's flaws, but if we get the same results from CJP that NC State has gotten from Gottfried, I wouldn't be upset.

If you believe half the rumors around RDU the cost of a new assistant is the cheapest part of paying for Gottfried's flaws :devil:

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I will butt in and add that NCCSU is losing 55 ppg if Abu does not return. They have a nice PG signed, but nothing else seems likely right now that is even close to his level. Oh, and they lost 13 ACC games last year with two future NBA players and three other 4* recruits. The RDU natives are restless.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
You are technically correct, but by giving Pastner money they are reducing what we would have had to otherwise pay him, so you could actually say they are giving us money.

I would accept that, EXCEPT that they are giving Coach the money for 2 years and we signed him to a 6 year deal. So, either Coach expects to get a raise within tow years, or he was willing to take less money...the amount Memphis kicked in to him did not help much (although I, for one, would not sneeze at an extra Million plus bucks).

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I would accept that, EXCEPT that they are giving Coach the money for 2 years and we signed him to a 6 year deal. So, either Coach expects to get a raise within tow years, or he was willing to take less money...the amount Memphis kicked in to him did not help much (although I, for one, would not sneeze at an extra Million plus bucks).

GT pays less first couple of years

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Oh you know you're gonna have to elaborate on that one.

There are rumors that range from him breaking up the marraige of a prior NC State player to NCSU now having to fund an downtown apt for him due to his wife running him out of the house. All under the general mantra of horn dog.

As for next year they have Henderson and Dorn available which were not available this year plus one of the top 5 PGs in the country. They will be demonstratively better next year than they were this year. That is the reason the twins decided to transfer out.

Buzz776g

Jolly Good Fellow
GT pays less first couple of years
Which (I hope) translates into us having more to spend on quality assistants for Josh that we do in fact find, court, and hire. That's what I mean by giving "us" money ... providing we spend it wisely.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
I happen to think it is extremely important that Bobinski had a frank discussion with CP about the troubles at Memphis and did not simply accept any self-justifications and defenses CP might have made. MBob could point to that record against top 100 RPI programs as a cause for concern and one in which he expects CP to show the maturity necessary as leader of the program to seek out advice and counsel from an X's and O's assistant. He can point to many other HCs who leaned on strategic gurus on the bench. There is no shame in that and it is part of being the head guy (like key councilors for the king), but to do so the wunderkind label needs to be shed.

I hope we get proof in the form of someone hired soon who has a clear reputation as a strategic coach. If this does not occur then it seems to me that we will have cause for concern. Of course, hiring the best x/o guy guarantees nothing on gameday, future still as unknown as ever, but I think it is needed as a sign of good faith for the fan base as regards both CP and MBob.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
re: Gottfried: the natives in Raleigh are very restless. Partly due to the product on the floor, partly due to the rumors of his indiscretions. Who knows if they're true or not? The same thing was rumored about Jeff Jones at UVA. Bottom line, when an ACC team falls from the level the fan base is used to, things get ugly and rumors fly. If State catches some breaks next year and finishes 9-9 in conference and in the NCAA, there will be no talk of his sex life. If they finish in the bottom four (which I think is likely), it will be all over the Wolfpack boards.