Pastner Staff Thread

BeeRBee

Jolly Good Fellow
Something to keep in mind, depending on how much we're ready to spend on a staff, the grizzled vet/calming influence/Xs & Os guy doesn't need to be a bench assistant. We would do well to hire a special assistant to the head coach the way Gene Keady was to Steve Lavin at St. John's or Denny Kuiper was to Shaka Smart at VCU and is at Texas.

Here's an article on Kuiper to provide conceptual background.
http://www.hookem.com/columns/bohls...-been-a-huge-help-for-smart-texas-basketball/
That's a great article - thanks. Sounds like the kind of person that would be helpful to any young coach, if they are willing to be "coached" themselves.

I assume that under NCAA rules he isn't allowed to actually coach the players during practice, but it sounds like he provides counsel to them.

I think sometime midway through this past season, a new face appeared at the end of the GT bench. At least, that's when I first noticed him. I think someone on a message board claimed he was a sports psychologist, and I think at least once he spoke to the team before half time. It was also around this time that the team did a few different things at the second half warm up, such as jogging from half court to the baseline at a game. Maybe this was a sign of trying to provide this type of additional resources to the team and coaching staff.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Things are about to turn positive big time for our MBB team. Starting at 3:30 we are, regardless of the asst coaches CJP hires, about to start recruiting such as has not been seen on the Flats in a long time.

Not only can you smell the blood in the water, but you can taste it.

Ugagers will not even realize it is fox blood until it is too late - which it already is.

And to the memphis mosquito breeders - you hired a sleeze like calipari. STFU.

gtdoceulaw

Jolly Good Fellow
In response to dtm's above article about an older, calmer presence on the bench to help Josh Pastner with Xs and Os, how about his former coach at Arizona Lute Olson?

DaBiz

Georgia Tech Fan
@DaBiz outside of Huff, do you know of anyone else that has been chatting with Pastner?

Not hearing much yet outside Huff and White...I'm sure JP will start up on that process tomorrow; Kobi Simmons dad who is the Atlanta Celtics 17U coach reached out to lobby for Huff and Kobi will likely be visiting too.

He has plenty of choices for the local hire...the key hire will be an older experienced X&O's guy; that'll be interesting.

D-man44

Helluva Engineer
Not hearing much yet outside Huff and White...I'm sure JP will start up on that process tomorrow; Kobi Simmons dad who is the Atlanta Celtics 17U coach reached out to lobby for Huff and Kobi will likely be visiting too.

He has plenty of choices for the local hire...the key hire will be an older experienced X&O's guy; that'll be interesting.
huff kinda probable

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Wonder if Matt Harpring will ever come back to GT as an assistant or in some capacity.
Seems like he's more in to doing Jazz play by play and coaching his sons (baseball & hoops). It would be nice to get him more re-integrated in the GT community though.

mts315

Ramblin' Wreck
Always bothers me "if" you need to hire someone help the HC with X's and 0's.
Clemson does really well with it at Football. That is something that all great managers do, they see their own deficiencies and hire smart people of support them in that regard. There are very few coaches that are great at X's and O's and recruiting, our Head Football Coach falls into this category. CPJ is a great X's and O's coach but I think we can all agree he is not going to win any top recruiting trophys.